U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,836,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Like match to gasoline. Its not your fault. He or she has probably decided to visit some place on the other side of the country in order to avoid any chance he might run into these people.
I look at a lot of the other boards around the country and it's all the same. We live in a great country and people just complain.

I guess it's the same people that if they won the lottery would just complain about how much in taxes they have to pay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:54 AM

14 posts, read 19,548 times
What have i started! lol.

Ok, thanks to all posts. All info taken in and i'll probably book my flights at the end of the month, then book where i'm staying nearer to the time or something.

I could join in on the posts that have followed but ultimately people will always have differing opinions on the same topic, depending on experiences and preferences etc.

From my original post what I got was what I wanted and more so thanks for that.

P.S - Archan: Yeah it is your fault, ha ha!
J2Rescue: Nah we're still planning to fly out (2 guys, maybe more)

Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,567,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumbert View Post

Ok, thanks to all posts. All info taken in and i'll probably book my flights at the end of the month, then book where i'm staying nearer to the time or something.

I could join in on the posts that have followed but ultimately people will always have differing opinions on the same topic, depending on experiences and preferences etc.

From my original post what I got was what I wanted and more so thanks for that.

J2Rescue: Nah we're still planning to fly out (2 guys, maybe more)
Glad we were able to be of assistance your going to LOVE IT...Have fun in the ATL!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 AM

Thanks AtlantasFinest.

What happens in ATL stays in ATL (Evil laugh)

Ok, so now all I need is some contacts with friends who like English guys and want to show us around (ladies of course) Lol. I'm kidding (kind of) no really I am (I think)

Will let you know where we stayed and what happened.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,836,892 times
Quote:

Yes, it was part of my evil plan for world domination!!!

Have a great time out here. You'll have a blast.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:35 AM

4,465 posts, read 4,638,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I know all rap is not the same, but the majority of it is garbage. Also, I listened to rap all through high school and college at parties. I know the difference, but it seems that whenever I heard Atlanta in a song, it was not in some pop-ish rihanna song, but from a "gangsta" rapper like T.I. or Ludacris.

Are you saying Atlanta being mentioned in this song by T.I. is good for the city?:

"All the fame that a nigg* can gain from atlanta
Now I'm just tryin to maintain for atlanta
Befo nigg*z would say in atlanta
I was rhode park, doug high stayed in atlanta
Now true enough I sold yay in atlanta"

You missed my point about jazz and r&b. I know they are not the same, but my point was that if people are going to highlight black culture in the city, then they should highlight the city's jazz and r&b, not its thuggish hiphop connections.

Although you never do it, a black agenda is pushed by some members. it may be hard to explain. Its noticeable when people talk about the culture of atlanta, but only mention the black cultural contributions. When they talk about musical entertainment, always rap (this is where i say they should push jazz or r&B), but never the city's jam band scene. With food, always Sweet Auburn Curb Market, never the Vietnamese bakery on Buford hwy. Its like they dont want to share space with anyone else. This thread is a great example. Just take a look at the previous posts. My orinignal one was the first one to mention unique cultural sites that dont fit into the black agenda.

If Atlanta is to be viewed as an equal to LA, NYC etc., people need to celebrate its multiculturalism, not the bi-culturalism of the city's past (just blacks and whites). Just focusing on one sub-group is unfair to the many types of people who now call the city home. If people want to celebrate specific minority cultures in the city, thats a great thing, but they shouldnt exclude the other large minority groups when talking about the general culture of the city.
1. Atlanta is know for both hiphop and R&B, and I easily name rappers and R&B singers that don't match your sterotype yes even Atlanta rapper and R&B singers. I don't think Andre 3000 and Big boi or Ciara, Usher, Monica, and keri Hilton are very thugish LOL do you want more names?

2. Hiphop is not the only thing that have violence in it, most movie are violent so, Do you generalize and question the art of acting like you do with hiphop, Then if a city is associate with the film instrustry it's bad?

3rd what people are pointing out is Atlanta has a large black cultural scene, larger then most other major cities, not that Atlanta should only have a black culture scene. You interpret it that way because you don't like the fact that Atlanta does have a large black cultural scene or has a large urban music scene. Thus you made a few straw man, if Atlanta was known for other cultural scenes it still will be know for it's urban and black cultural scene.
The staw man is you tried to make it seem that if Atlanta's black or Urban cultural scene was smaller it would make the others bigger! instead of wanting all the cultural scenes in Atlanta to be big like the Black and urban cultural scenes. Then you tried to make it seem as if the black and urban cultural scenes are not part of multiculturalism in Atlanta, and they're size some how are holding others cultural scenes back or keeping those scenes from growing.

4th "Black agenda" first off black people don't agree with each other to have a "Black agenda" second off if there a "Black agenda" to you! are there, what ever background, you fill in the blank agendas as well? is there a white agenda? or this hasty generalization just for blacks? this is how you know you comment was fueled by your political belief.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:31 PM

14,420 posts, read 23,111,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
1. Atlanta is know for both hiphop and R&B, and I easily name rappers and R&B singers that don't match your sterotype yes even Atlanta rapper and R&B singers. I don't think Andre 3000 and Big boi or Ciara, Usher, Monica, and keri Hilton are very thugish LOL do you want more names?

2. Hiphop is not the only thing that have violence in it, most movie are violent so, Do you generalize and question the art of acting like you do with hiphop, Then if a city is associate with the film instrustry it's bad?

3rd what people are pointing out is Atlanta has a large black cultural scene, larger then most other major cities, not that Atlanta should only have a black culture scene. You interpret it that way because you don't like the fact that Atlanta does have a large black cultural scene or has a large urban music scene. Thus you made a few straw man, if Atlanta was known for other cultural scenes it still will be know for it's urban and black cultural scene.
The staw man is you tried to make it seem that if Atlanta's black or Urban cultural scene was smaller it would make the others bigger! instead of wanting all the cultural scenes in Atlanta to be big like the Black and urban cultural scenes. Then you tried to make it seem as if the black and urban cultural scenes are not part of multiculturalism in Atlanta, and they're size some how are holding others cultural scenes back or keeping those scenes from growing.

4th "Black agenda" first off black people don't agree with each other to have a "Black agenda" second off if there a "Black agenda" to you! are there, what ever background, you fill in the blank agendas as well? is there a white agenda? or this hasty generalization just for blacks? this is how you know you comment was fueled by your political belief.

Tell it!

Old 01-13-2010, 04:06 PM

304 posts, read 842,490 times
Quote:
Hey all,

Me and my cousin are planning on visiting Atlanta in May this year for two weeks or so, i'm just trying to find out some information on where is best to stay, what to do etc etc

I've looked at Buckhead, Mid-town, Downtown and to be honest, from the outside looking in it's a little difficult to decide. I know usually downtown areas are cool to visit during the day, but sometimes can be dead at night (I don't know, jut basing it on over here in the UK and other Holidays)

Ideally we want to stay somewhere where it's busy more than its quiet. Doesn't have to be in touristy type areas as we don't mind making our own way to wherever by train, taxi or however.

I've looked at Hotels & Apartments. I think Apartments (vacation rentals) appeal more because we would have individual rooms. So if any of you know have any info on where to stay, vacation rentals or hotels that would be great!

General Profiles:

Music: RnB - Hip Hop
Preferences: Clubs, Comedy Shows, Jazzy type lounges

We want to do some daytime shopping, sight seeing etc etc and some night time partying, meeting new people (Pretty much every day and night)

Any help would be useful. I've heard alot of good things about ATL and I guess we're trying to see them all in two weeks.

Thanks!
--------------------------

Welcome to Atlanta!
May is a beautiful time.

You'll want to be in Midtown Atlanta. Thats where most of the action is. (East of the freeway or you'll be in the GA Tech campus which is nice but you walk for ever before you get anywhere).

Piedmont Park is beautiful and the locals use it a lot. City backdrop over pathways, a lake, etc. Closed at night.

Make sure you do a few things:

Music:
Nightlife and Entertainment Guide to Atlanta
----------------
Things To Do In Midtown Atlanta - Fun Things To Do Midtown Atlatna
The symphony is a good one.
----------------
Things To Do In Downtown Atlanta - Fun Things To Do Downtown Atlanta
The CNN tour is every 20 minutes and is informative.

the Aquarium is very good. The new Coke museum is fun especially the display of all the coke products by continent. You wont believe the variations of what different peoples like.
----------------
The only thing worth going to in Buckhead is the Atlanta History Center.

Atlanta Members=

Atlanta was the only big city not to have race riots in the 60's, Martin Luther King's influence, I guess.
---------------
As for lodging: all hotel companies are bargaining. Orbitz has good deals and is a forward progressive company we should all support.

Have a great visit!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 AM

Its official, flights booked, hotel booked. We're staying near the Fox Theatre in Midtown! Time to throw them bows (Ok, not quite but hey)

Roll on good times!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:48 AM

927 posts, read 1,951,847 times
Congrats! That's a nice, albeit quieter area of Midtown. However, you're only a short cab ride away from the main action. Enjoy homie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta