Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:38 AM

14 posts, read 22,611 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Me and my cousin are planning on visiting Atlanta in May this year for two weeks or so, i'm just trying to find out some information on where is best to stay, what to do etc etc

I've looked at Buckhead, Mid-town, Downtown and to be honest, from the outside looking in it's a little difficult to decide. I know usually downtown areas are cool to visit during the day, but sometimes can be dead at night (I don't know, jut basing it on over here in the UK and other Holidays)

Ideally we want to stay somewhere where it's busy more than its quiet. Doesn't have to be in touristy type areas as we don't mind making our own way to wherever by train, taxi or however.

I've looked at Hotels & Apartments. I think Apartments (vacation rentals) appeal more because we would have individual rooms. So if any of you know have any info on where to stay, vacation rentals or hotels that would be great!

General Profiles:

Music: RnB - Hip Hop
Preferences: Clubs, Comedy Shows, Jazzy type lounges

We want to do some daytime shopping, sight seeing etc etc and some night time partying, meeting new people (Pretty much every day and night)

Any help would be useful. I've heard alot of good things about ATL and I guess we're trying to see them all in two weeks.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,031 times
I would definately steer you more toward Midtown for your hotel search. It is much more walkable and has a good nightlife. You will have Marta (public transit) stations close by to go to Buckhead or downtown. I don't know of any vacation rentals, but here are a lot of hotels here to meet any budget.

I would be curious to know why you chose Atlanta to visit as opposed to Miami, New York, Chicago, San Francisco or LA? Just wondering the perceptions of Atlanta in the UK.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
I would recommend either staying in the Lenox Square area or in Midtown; both areas will give you access to the MARTA rail line, but Lenox will be better if your priority is shopping, Midtown if it's clubbing. Either way, one is a 10 minute train ride to the other.

Remember the storyline in Love Actually about the British guy that came to America and became a chick magnet? It's all true!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:59 AM

14 posts, read 22,611 times
Archan,

I guess everyones perception is different on a place, however friends that have been there have said they had a good time. My cuz also has some fam who lives there.

New York - Done
LA - Planned for next year
Miami - Want to do but in no rush.
Recently done Toronto

I guess we want to go somewhere that isn't such a main tourist hot spot or on the top 10 destinations in the world etc etc.

LovinDecatur: Lol. is it now! Might just have to see about that and talk loudly in our strong british accents (I'm kidding)

But yeah, just out for some options really to see what life is like in the South.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,031 times
I don't think that your going to have a problem with beautiful women with southern accents! It is a good, good thing! Believe me, if I had a british accent I would be talking loudly and I'm not kidding.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:10 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
Atlanta is definitely on the radar of the younger generation of Euros who are into Hip-Hop/R&B Culture & African-American Culture. I have traveled extensively In Europe and have taken in the Hip-Hop/R&B nightlife in Prague, Budapest, Paris, Stockholm and Berlin and they listen to the same music we do(albeit they are always about 6 months behind in current music). With all of the artists and media coming out of Atlanta these days It's not surprise that eventually people are going to start looking to come here to see what it's all about.

I met a fellow through CD who was from Sweden and he was here for the same thing last year except he wanted to really check the sports along with taking in the Hip Hop Culture scene here. So I'm not surprised at all...Hip-Hop/R&B Culture is Worldwide and Atlanta Is on forefront of that scene. I meet alot of people who usually fly into NYC then head down to Miami but they want to spend some time in Atlanta and get a taste of The Dirty South on the way down. A win win for us!

BTW If your staying for a two week period like that many hotels will give you a better rate...my friend from Stockholm was able to arrange a long term rate at a hotel in Buckhead during his stay. Your coming at a great time of year for Atlanta and your going to love it. I can give you a rundown on what's hot right now but things change here quickly and during the spring time there will be new spots to hit up for sure. You definitely want to stay in Midtown If your coming here in the spring time you will be close to Piedmont Park and alot of the main nightlife/cultural districts in the city.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 01-08-2010 at 10:02 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 10:14 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Atlanta is definitely on the radar of the younger generation of Euros who are into Hip-Hop/R&B Culture & African-American Culture. I have traveled extensively In Europe and have taken in the Hip-Hop/R&B nightlife in Prague, Budapest, Paris, Stockholm and Berlin and they listen to the same music we do(albeit they are always about 6 months behind in current music). With all of the artists and media coming out of Atlanta these days It's not surprise that eventually people are going to start looking to come here to see what it's all about.

I met a fellow through CD who was from Sweden and he was here for the same thing last year except he wanted to really check the sports along with taking in the Hip Hop Culture scene here. So I'm not surprised at all...Hip-Hop/R&B Culture is Worldwide and Atlanta Is on forefront of that scene. I meet alot of people who usually fly into NYC then head down to Miami but they want to spend some time in Atlanta and get a taste of The Dirty South on the way down. A win win for us!

BTW If your staying for a two week period like that many hotels will give you a better rate...my friend from Stockholm was able to arrange a long term rate at a hotel in Buckhead during his stay. Your coming at a great time of year for Atlanta and your going to love it. I can give you a rundown on what's hot right now but things change here quickly and during the spring time there will be new spots to hit up for sure. You definitely want to stay in Midtown If your coming here in the spring time you will be close to Piedmont Park and alot of the main nightlife/cultural districts in the city.
I just hope Atlanta will learn to nurture and capitalize on this new interest in our city and and our worldwide cultural influence.

So much potential, so much opportunity...

Old 01-08-2010, 01:20 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times
Definitely Midtown. I think the W in Midtown would be ideal. It's sleek, houses a great bar- Whiskey Park- and the clubs at Crescent Ave are right down the street, and it puts you in a location that's quickly become the center of Atlanta nightlife, arts, and culture. Plus, it's close to Poncey Highland which has the more underground clubs MJQ (you must go there if you're into hip hop) and El Bar.

The best time to come in May would be the last couple of weeks. Memorial Day Weekend (the last weekend of the month) is always full of events and parties.

Here's some other tidbits:

- Opera and Compound are two great mega clubs. R&B/hip hop nights are Thursday (Opera) and Friday (Compound). They're both in midtown, and Opera is walking distance from the W.

- If you're into jazz, May is when we have the Jazz Festival. This is also held in midtown walking distance from the W at Piedmont Park. It is a huge national event that draws in thousands of folks each year during the entire month of May and there's a huge finale concert the final weekend around Memorial Day Weekend. Definitely try and book your hotel early because prices will increase around this time of month.

-For a taste of the south, check out Harlem Bar (downtown) or rare (midtown). Both have yummy soul food in classy environments. Great for people watching! Harlem Bar also has a DJ on Saturdays which is pretty live.

- For comedy, check out the Uptown Comedy Club downtown on Marietta St. This is a renowned comedy club that has launched the careers or hosted numerous African-American comedic talents.

-Also in downtown is the popular Luckie Lounge. Both Friday and Saturday are good (Friday they have grown and sexy happy hour, so that might be cool for you), but the earlier the better-they charge a grip after a certain hour. This is a different kind of place b/c it's a mix of a lounge, bar, club AND restaurant. So consider grabbing a meal and staying afterwards to party. I pretty much always have a good time here whether I'm chillin or tryna get crunk.

- Atlanta is notorious for its strip clubs. Magic City is probably the most legendary for the hip hop set. Monday nights are what it's famous for, or so I'm told :-). Don't know your gender, but ladies and guys both go here. It's just that fun.

- For shopping, I love Little 5 Points. It's eclectic and decently priced. It's also great for people watching.

- A great neighborhood to peruse on a Sunday is Virginia Highlands. Great Sunday Brunch at Murphy's and some nice boutiques and other bars for later in the evening.

-On another Sunday, check out the Inman Park neighborhood. Highland Bakery is another popular Sunday brunch spot and they've some other great restaurants. It's also full of historic homes that are just beautiful to look at and walk through on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Overall summers in the A are a blast, and you will find plenty to do and plenty of pretty people to look at. When it gets hot, people make the most of it with their clothing choices :-). Also, Atlanta to me is different from all those cities because of how pervasive African American culture is here. That kind of experience is limited in all those cities, even New York. You will definitely be seeing something unique by visiting, especially if you're coming during the Jazzfest. Enjoy!

Last edited by bizchick86; 01-08-2010 at 01:39 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 01:24 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I just hope Atlanta will learn to nurture and capitalize on this new interest in our city and and our worldwide cultural influence.

So much potential, so much opportunity...
True. Atlanta already has a significant British expat community.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:30 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times
Right on. I don't know if I mentioned this on this forum or to friends elsewhere, but it was unbelievable how American black culture equated to Atlanta back when I was in Paris.

I stayed with a mother and her son, and his favorite group was 112. The rap on top 40 and hip hop stations consisted primarily of Lil Jon tracks (unedited at that!) and with another family the husband's favorite rapper was Ludacris (as well as the favorite some middle-eastern Parisians we met). I heard nothing but Atlanta represented on the "urban" Parisian radio stations. It really blew my mind. And they didn't get the songs that much later than we got them either.

Not to mention in Spain at some random department store they were selling those Atlanta Braves A hats you see rappers wearing all the time.

I think Atlanta being the face of American black culture (and therefore what's contributing to its international appeal) is something all Atlantans should be able to appreciate. It bothers me when folks say Atlanta has no culture or soul when that's all I feel when I'm here. Just because it's not a culture YOU prefer doesn't mean it's lacking in any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta