Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,743,568 times

Advertisements

I lived in ATL for 9 years. I was born and raised in SC. I do research for Emory and am still employed by them but am actually located (live) full-time in Columbia, SC. This is obviously not the norm as most Emory employees live in ATL or the surrounding area...but when the last research study I worked on ended, I took the first job offer I got in research, and it just so happened that the job was off-site. I've been here with this job for 1.5 years now.

It isn't "too" bad because I am about an hour away from my mom, grandfather and a close aunt/uncle who all still live in my hometown. But of course I have been missing the city...ALOT.

2 days ago I was informed my job is being reduced to half-time (salary cut by 50%) VERY SOON. The plan is that I would go back to full time in the fall (but with this news I am a tad bit concerned about if that will even happen). Of course it's frustrating because I moved here for this position.

My question is...if you were me...would you focus your efforts on coming back to Atlanta, or staying in SC and supplementing your income until you go back to full-time? There are alot of factors to consider....I could get a part time job and be fine and get hired back on full-time in the fall.....but maybe not. Some people think I should move out of my place immediately and commute from a relative's home which poses another issue because my car is at 200k miles and my current commute is only 10 minutes, so that will be ALOT more driving on a NOT so new car. Not to mention the stress of moving home and the possibility of moving back to Columbia in the fall. It's alot to consider.

Right now I am looking at ALL of my options...just wanted to know your opinions....

Last edited by southkakkatlantan; 01-08-2010 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I lived in ATL for 9 years. I was born and raised in SC. I do research for Emory and am still employed by them but am actually located (live) full-time in Columbia, SC. This is obviously not the norm as most Emory employees live in ATL or the surrounding area...but when the last research study I worked on ended, I took the first job offer I got in research, and it just so happened that the job was off-site. I've been here with this job for 1.5 years now.

It isn't "too" bad because I am about an hour away from my mom, grandfather and a close aunt/uncle who all still live in my hometown. But of course I have been missing the city...ALOT.

2 days ago I was informed my job is being reduced to half-time (salary cut by 50%) VERY SOON. The plan is that I would go back to full time in the fall (but with this news I am a tad bit concerned about if that will even happen). Of course it's frustrating because I moved here for this position.

My question is...if you were me...would you focus your efforts on coming back to Atlanta, or staying in SC and supplementing your income until you go back to full-time? There are alot of factors to consider....I could get a part time job and be fine and get hired back on full-time in the fall.....but maybe not. Some people think I should move out of my place immediately and commute from a relative's home which poses another issue because my car is at 200k miles and my current commute is only 10 minutes, so that will be ALOT more driving on a NOT so new car. Not to mention the stress of moving home and the possibility of moving back to Columbia in the fall. It's alot to consider.

Right now I am looking at ALL of my options...just wanted to know your opinions....
Admittedly, I am barely qualified to respond to your post, live near Emory--see the doctors there, mother worked as a secretary for Candler--that is about all the expertise I have on the internal workings of Emory. Very good place to work--jmo. Very good for Atlanta.

There seems to be hiring going on at the VA on N. Decatur Rd---several posts recently here about people relocating to work at the VA---is your research in anyway relevant to what goes on at the VA?

You could --with your background and expertise--I'm certain you are well qualified try some corporations---seems like somebody said Verizon was hiring---can't think of other FYI on who's hiring right now. Trying to jar some better ideas out of my head.

There are 'Career Change/Job Search Support' groups in the metro area. I attended a seminar at All Saints Catholic Church once---very good/those that lead this group have quite a bit of knowledge about various industries and have the motivation to 'Get People Working'. You might try them.

Go Here>>>
http://www.allsaintscatholicchurch.o...=page&page=194

ETA: There is a poster--SweetTea1, IIRC, that has had some suggestions about networking. I did a search and I think this is the right poster--DM her.
>>>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ea1-54482.html

Haven't looked at this thread--but you might scan it and see if anything gives you some ideas.
>>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...obs-metro.html

Last edited by TakeAhike; 01-08-2010 at 07:27 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Admittedly, I am barely qualified to respond to your post, live near Emory--see the doctors there, mother worked as a secretary for Candler--that is about all the expertise I have on the internal workings of Emory. Very good place to work--jmo. Very good for Atlanta.

There seems to be hiring going on at the VA on N. Decatur Rd---several posts recently here about people relocating to work at the VA---is your research in anyway relevant to what goes on at the VA?

You could --with your background and expertise--I'm certain you are well qualified try some corporations---seems like somebody said Verizon was hiring---can't think of other FYI on who's hiring right now. Trying to jar some better ideas out of my head.

There are 'Career Change/Job Search Support' groups in the metro area. I attended a seminar at All Saints Catholic Church once---very good/those that lead this group have quite a bit of knowledge about various industries and have the motivation to 'Get People Working'. You might try them.

Go Here>>>
Job Support - All Saints Catholic Church - Dunwoody, GA

ETA: There is a poster--SweetTea1, IIRC, that has had some suggestions about networking. I did a search and I think this is the right poster--DM her.
>>>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ea1-54482.html

Haven't looked at this thread--but you might scan it and see if anything gives you some ideas.
>>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...obs-metro.html

Thank you so much for all of the info. I'm going to check out all of the links you posted above. To answer your question, I'm sure there may be some studies at the VA that I would qualify to work on; I will check into that. The day I found out my position was being reduced, a shot off a letter to my old boss at Emory, who also happens to work at the VA now from what I understand. I haven't heard anything back yet but this was only like 2 days ago so I'm trying to keep busy every day seeing what's out there.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:43 AM

Looking for a job is a job within itself it seems because it can be time consuming and exhausting.

After re-reading my original post, I wanted to clarify a couple of things just in case anyone was confused by what I wrote or what I was asking advice on:

-My current job is full time with Emory but located in SC. The hours and pay are being reduced by half very soon, which means I will be getting half of a paycheck. *I can't pay my current rent/bills on half of my
paycheck. I also may have to move out to stay with relatives who live an hour away, which means more driving in my not-so-reliable-car.

-My supervisor and boss stated that they prefer me to stay on, at half time, until the fall, when they think they may have funds to start paying me my full-time rate again. They said they will assist in any way they can in finding a part-time job HERE IN SC to supplement my income in the meantime. But they also stated they understand if I decide to literally get another full-time job and leave this one. :/

-Because finding a job can be so time consuming, I am first focusing efforts on letting people know I'm available for work. But all of my current contacts are in Atlanta. I am asking, if you were me, would you focus on trying to get something else full-time back in Atlanta, where you have more contacts, friends, a lower unemployment rate, and access to public transportation in case something happens to your car......or.....focus on finding something else part-time here in SC, with the hopes to go back on full-time in the fall, and so you don't have to move and switch jobs again?

I want to make sure I am going about this the smart way...

Old 01-09-2010, 08:53 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
Yes, I would. I would not say a word to my current employer but spend some time networking with my contacts in Atlanta. Try to line up a full day's worth of interviews (or informational meetings). If something pans out, take it. If not, you're still employed part time. It's just that there's much more in Atlanta so you might as well focus your efforts here, unless of course, you love where you live so much you'd do anything to stay there! Good luck.
Couple of job/networking sites for you:
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Pediatric Hospital
Making It In The City, Dream Big. Pay The Rent.
Welcome to Facebook | Facebook (yes, use it to your advantage when looking for a job!!)
Relationships Matter | LinkedIn (if you're not on it yet, sign up for a free profile)
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta