Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 AM

194 posts, read 618,832 times

Advertisements

I used to be a serious credit union and community bank advocate (e.g., Hyde Park Bank in Chicago... my best banking experience, ever) until I felt I'd outgrown some of their less mature practices (e.g., slow adoption of online banking/account management). So I switched to Bank of America.

Like many others, I'm tired of the big banks and their addiction to corporate welfare while sticking us consumers for wild fees (against our own money).

I am drawn to what USAA and E-Trade have to offer, but I'm really looking for a local community bank or credit union.

Here are the features that are important to me.
  • Competitive APY on regular savings (like E-Trade and USAA)
  • Free international ATM use (like E-Trade and USAA)
  • ATM Fee Refunds (like E-Trade and USAA)
  • Modern online account management
  • Fee online bill pay
  • Minimal transaction fees
  • Free or low-cost money transfer (incl. other institutions)
  • Rewards on debit purchases

Anybody got recommendations of local banks or credit unions that you swear by? Tell me about it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:10 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
My DH is very happy with DECU (Delta Community Credit Union). Not everyone can qualify, but in terms of membership eligibility, they cast a pretty wide net. Check the Eligibility Requirements.

www.deltacommunitycu.com/

Old 01-07-2010, 04:25 PM

339 posts, read 696,097 times
I have to agree with Loving Decatur- DECU is great as far as credit unions are concerned. I too am tired of the Big banks although I do have an acct with a "biggie". Good luck!!

Old 01-07-2010, 04:41 PM

63 posts, read 250,854 times
I recommend LGE Community CU. I've been a member since 2001. They are now paying 3.5% APY on checking accounts once certain transaction minimums are set (15 credit or debit).

Old 01-07-2010, 05:24 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
When I had a car loan - I had mine through https://www.georgiasown.org/

Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
Georgia's Own is an easy one to meet the requirements for. If you happen to live or work on the eastside of intown (with Little 5 Points as the epicenter) you might want to check out the BOND Community Federal Credit Union.

Bond Community Credit Union

Here are some reviews of it on Yelp!

BOND Community Federal Credit Union - Little Five Points - Atlanta, GA

Old 01-11-2010, 08:15 AM

194 posts, read 618,832 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I will follow up with BOND, Delta, Georgia's Own and LGE via telephone.

I'm still open to hearing about other options that may meet my requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: