U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-09-2010, 07:08 AM
 
5 posts, read 12,669 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am considering moving to the Marietta area from out of state. My husband and I recently visited to look at homes and get a feel for the different areas. We are not used to traffic and commute times at all -- so that will be a major adjustment. (currently live less than 5 miles and a 10 minute commute)

Can anyone provide more insight into what it might be like (the good, the bad, the ugly, etc.) to live in the area of Villa Rica Road and Sandtown road?

We are looking to purchase a single family home in an area that provides:

- not too long of a drive for grocery store (preferably Publix and Super Target), post office, dry cleaners -- the basics for errands
- ability to ride a road bike for recreation and exercise
- safe areas to walk, job, hike

1. 350-450K
2. single family home
3. Employment Status: commute to Dobbins area
4. Children (none) - but prefer good school district for resale
5. Suburban/urban lifestyle preference: suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: good neighbors who keep up their property -- not an area on the downslide

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2010, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,860 posts, read 15,204,647 times
Reputation: 3576
Not a bad area, but I would suggest looking on the north side of Dallas Hwy, since you'll be in either the Harrison or Kennesaw Mtn HS district instead of Hillgrove. You have a Target, Publix, and The Avenue (outdoor mall) very close. I live pretty close by, PM me if you have specific questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 09:53 AM
 
14,404 posts, read 23,086,052 times
Reputation: 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Not a bad area, but I would suggest looking on the north side of Dallas Hwy, since you'll be in either the Harrison or Kennesaw Mtn HS district instead of Hillgrove. You have a Target, Publix, and The Avenue (outdoor mall) very close. I live pretty close by, PM me if you have specific questions.

Just curious, neil...

Why would you suggest Harrison or Kennesaw Mountain over Hillgrove?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,059 posts, read 10,545,556 times
Reputation: 6175
From all I get from friends living in the area, Hillgrove is as good a school as Kennesaw Mountain or Harrison.

This is one of the most beautiful areas in Cobb IMO, if it hasn't been carved up in too many subdivisions. When I was there, still had a rural feel. When Macland is connected to Windy Hill, will be an easy commute to Dobbins. Shopping along Dallas Highway is close with a lot of choices. Sounds like a perfect area to met the needs of the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 10:42 AM
 
14,404 posts, read 23,086,052 times
Reputation: 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
From all I get from friends living in the area, Hillgrove is as good a school as Kennesaw Mountain or Harrison.

This is one of the most beautiful areas in Cobb IMO, if it hasn't been carved up in too many subdivisions. When I was there, still had a rural feel. When Macland is connected to Windy Hill, will be an easy commute to Dobbins. Shopping along Dallas Highway is close with a lot of choices. Sounds like a perfect area to met the needs of the OP.

Yep, the Hillgrove area is very beautiful...suburban with a very rural feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,860 posts, read 15,204,647 times
Reputation: 3576
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Just curious, neil...

Why would you suggest Harrison or Kennesaw Mountain over Hillgrove?
Just better performance overall and more of a track record to review, especially Harrison. Not a huge difference, but you will see a difference in home prices based on the school district. Ask your realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top