U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,024 times

Advertisements

My husband and I discovered the lovely town of Dahlonega in a "Places to Retire" magazine last weekend during a snow storm and are very curious about the area. We have been researching the area and it sounds like the perfect place to retire to after enduring 30+ years of very harsh Vermont winters.

We are in our early 50's and are interested in hearing about the experiences of others who have moved to this area...was it easy to "fit it", meet new friends, etc. Our interests include horseback and motorcycle riding.

Can any "horsey" people tell me about the area and what the riding is like? I have 3 horses, ride English, and hope to find a property to keep them at home. We appreciate hearing all about Dahlonega...the good and the bad.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 06:02 PM

13,391 posts, read 21,592,746 times
We have plans to go trail riding in Dahlonega, so I know horses are around. You can also look into Milton, which has a lot of horse farms.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:22 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,459,095 times
Ironically, Dahlonega (and most of North GA) just had school cancelled on Friday for...snow!! It's colder in the north GA mountains than many people think, although certainly milder than Vermont.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:47 PM

Hi...I heard about the snow! That is bizarre. Hope everyone travels safely!

Old 01-11-2010, 02:46 PM

11 posts, read 20,338 times
I recently moved from Dahlonega. My horse is still boarded up there at a English barn. My husband rides a motorcycle
Dahlonega is pretty but actually we did not find much to do up there. There is a local college and a couple of restaurants. No supermarket other than Walmart. No bookstores. A very small "touristy" downtown area.
I think it all depends on what you are looking for. I did not meet anyone other than some of the riders at the barn. My husband did find some guys to ride bikes with.
Another thing - there are no jobs. So I would not move there if you need to work.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:07 PM

Where did you end up moving to, Emmagirl?

Old 01-11-2010, 05:15 PM

11 posts, read 20,338 times
We are in Decatur which is east of the city of Atlanta by a few miles. I drive up to Dahlonega on weekends to ride.
If you plan to keep horses at home, you should have no problem finding a place.
However, I am curious as to why Dahlonega is considered a good place to retire. There are no decent medical facilities, no public transportation, and not a very diverse population - in my humble opinion.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:40 AM

152 posts, read 468,613 times
Since you moved to Decatur and consider public transportation and diverse population as essential for being a good place, I imagine Dahlonega wouldn't be your cup of tea. However, if you like the mountains, watching the leaves change, being rural but still having access to the city if you need it- Dahlonega would be an excellent choice. I think the downtown square is very nice with restaurants, and some cool shops. If you're looking for contast excitement 24/7, you're not going to find it. I suppose its all about your lifestyle preference.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 AM

285 posts, read 791,585 times
Maybe try Asheville NC?

Old 01-12-2010, 12:45 PM

136 posts, read 435,141 times
There are already a lot of threads on here regarding Dahlonega. I live in the NW part of the state and have not been there in several years. There's a lot of state forest land and the trail riding is excellent. There's a lot of english riders in Alpharetta and Milton which are not very far from Dahlonega but much more developed. The square was nice. Horse property should be pretty fairly easy to find. During the real estate boom acreage had gotten pricey but it's probably come down a bit. If I didn't work in downtown ATL I definitely would have considered moving there. It's definitely small town living but if you like that lifestyle then you would probably be happy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta