U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 08:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,223 times

Advertisements

Ok its me again lol. But I have more questions. For anyone in the restaurant business- I am planning on moving to ATL in June and am looking for an apt around $1000. Can I afford that as a server down there? Right now in Buffalo I can. Are there certain places I should apply to? I have casual and fine dining exp. How much on avg can I make as a server down there at like a Fridays? Red Lobster? And more upscale places??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 09:32 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,768,368 times
If you're willing to work topless, there are places you can work that will allow you to afford a $1000 a month apartment on your own as a server here.

Honestly, it would be rough. Remember, the federal minimum wage for tipped employees is still after decades, around something like $2.11 an hour. Most places here still pay that and not the standard minimum wage plus tips. The South is notorious for being lower on the tipping scale than some other regions of the country, and while there are a lot of false rumors about the South out there, having worked in the restaurant industry here, I will attest that this particular rumor is somewhat accurate. You'll see more of a "it's not my job to pay these people" attitude here than you would say, in NYC or L.A. or San Francisco. Intown you have more transplants that have moved here from everywhere else, so tips are generally better intown - the further you get into the suburbs, the lower they get. Also note that the recession did not skip Atlanta - people are eating out less these days, too.

That's not saying you can't make good money. Yes, there are upscale restaurants here and if you're good at what you do and put in enough hours, you can make good money. By "upscale" however, I am not talking about Fridays or Red Lobster. For those, you'll probably need a roommate to share a typical $850 a month apartment. Just my opinion.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:39 AM

Oh ok wow now im discouraged lol. Here at home I was making 6.10 an hour plus serving so thats what I was used to. So should I look for something that is downtown more? I was looking at an apt complex called sandtown vista , I believe its off campcreek. Any good places around there?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:45 AM

1,516 posts, read 6,229,359 times
Do you have kids? Are schools a concern? Do you have a car or are you relying on public trans? There are LOADS of restaurants here...both fine dining and casual so you'll have a lot to look at. Lots of restaurant 'groups' too (Buckhead Life, etc.) so you can go corporate too. I'd do a little legwork from where you are now, send out some online apps for some of the groups and then, if you can, do a scouting trip where you spend a few days walking into some places around the areas you like. My bet is that you can make more here than you do in Buffalo and you can also check out the hordes of caterers in the area to supplement your income with parties.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Yes I have a son he is 6yo so schools are important too. I have my own vehicle so transportation is not a problem. I am going to come down there in April to just feel the job market out - you know. I sometimes look on craigslist just to see like whats going on. Hopefully I can get into somewhere were I can avg about 700-800 a week. I will keep my eye out. And thank you.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:31 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,229,359 times
Here are a few ads I came across in areas that are great for kids:
Servers job in Atlanta, GA: Restaurant/Food Service and Hospitality/Travel careers - Yahoo HotJobs (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/job-J21U3MLNRV2;_ylt=AhBJao8teTOFaUT2RG4eFPz6Q6IX?sour ce=SRP - broken link)
(area is Smyrna with affordable housing)

***HOUSTON'S LENOX SEEKS SERVERS AND GREETERS*** (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/fbh/1546972030.html - broken link)
*Great location in midtown
Close to lots of family friendly areas

Some other networking/info sites for you:
http://www.buckheadrestaurants.com/jobs.html (broken link)
Restaurant jobs - Atlanta, GA | Simply Hired
Making It In The City, Dream Big. Pay The Rent.
city of atlanta food/beverage/hospitality jobs classifieds - craigslist

Also, you may consider getting an Atlanta voicemail or cell phone just so that you can field calls while you're transitioning here. You can basically act like you live here (Except for not being able to come for interviews on the spot) until you actually get here.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:46 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,286,398 times
I think that NY state has wage protection rules that we don't have in GA.

New York State Department of Labor - Minimum Wages

Add to this that some municipalities in New York then add their own rules on top of it.

Please make sure you understand the wage structure here. As I understand it, the minimum wage for servers in GA is still in the $2 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or