U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 AM
 
14,385 posts, read 23,057,606 times
Reputation: 5118

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
There are basically no uniformly good areas in metro Atlanta - just about every corner of the metro is a mix of nice and less nice areas. I would pay more attention to the individual school cluster as much being more important - city labels don't mean as much in metro Atlanta, as most people don't even live in a city, or in the case of North Fulton, have a zip code that has a different name from the actual city in which they reside (for example, people living in parts of Johns Creek actually have a Duluth address).
I love how you always say this OhioNative...

It's important for people to realize that, in most cases in Metro Atlanta, one has to look at the high school clusters as the "towns" of the metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 AM
 
188 posts, read 532,538 times
Reputation: 65
The area you are referring to is very, very nice.

But because of your price point, have you considered Northview School District in Johns Creek (Fulton County)? It's one of the best school districts in Georgia, and you could get a very nice home there with what you're looking for in the $400s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,262 posts, read 2,581,436 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast2GA View Post
So my focus is down to Johns Creek, Alpharetta, Suwanee, and Duluth (in that order).

Came across a nice house off Peachtree Industrial Blvd w/ Peachtree Ridge schools. Seems like a nice neighborhood.

Only thing deterring me is comments I'm reading on this board about Duluth going downhill.

What do you guys think of that particular area I mentioned as well as Duluth as a whole?
Duluth is definitely not going downhill. Metro Atlanta is vast, and as others have menltioned, most people go by what school cluster you are in. Peachtree Ridge is an excellent school, and one of the highest ranking in the metro. Gwinnett County Public Schools is the largest in the state, with over 150,000 students. However, it is also consistently ranked nationally as one of the top systems in the country. Also here in Gwinnett, we have one of the top park systems in the country, named best in 2008. We have over 10,000 acres of parks, and more coming on line every year.

The area you are looking in is a relatively affluent area, quite safe, and very desirable. The Duluth mailing address is one of the most prestigous in the metro, and encompasses many areas and neighborhoods. You need to consider what works best for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 11:54 AM
 
14,385 posts, read 23,057,606 times
Reputation: 5118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Duluth is definitely not going downhill. Metro Atlanta is vast, and as others have menltioned, most people go by what school cluster you are in. Peachtree Ridge is an excellent school, and one of the highest ranking in the metro. Gwinnett County Public Schools is the largest in the state, with over 150,000 students. However, it is also consistently ranked nationally as one of the top systems in the country. Also here in Gwinnett, we have one of the top park systems in the country, named best in 2008. We have over 10,000 acres of parks, and more coming on line every year.

The area you are looking in is a relatively affluent area, quite safe, and very desirable. The Duluth mailing address is one of the most prestigous in the metro, and encompasses many areas and neighborhoods. You need to consider what works best for you.
Good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,459 posts, read 4,459,958 times
Reputation: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I love how you always say this OhioNative...

It's important for people to realize that, in most cases in Metro Atlanta, one has to look at the high school clusters as the "towns" of the metro area.
Great advice! Yeah, I feel like a broken record! LOL As a former northerner, I know how confusing metro Atlanta is to those from the north and northeast, who think in terms of towns, cities, etc. They may also be used to areas that are much more uniform in terms of demographics, income, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 12:56 PM
 
14,385 posts, read 23,057,606 times
Reputation: 5118
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Great advice! Yeah, I feel like a broken record! LOL As a former northerner, I know how confusing metro Atlanta is to those from the north and northeast, who think in terms of towns, cities, etc. They may also be used to areas that are much more uniform in terms of demographics, income, etc.
Yep, I have a decent amount of experience living in the northeast...


When you say a town or city, it will usually mean something exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 02:22 PM
 
60 posts, read 269,178 times
Reputation: 35
No confusion here guys. I think I got the boundaries and school maps down. Im used to postal codes up here so.

And yes, Northview is my top choice, along with Chattahoochee and Johns Creek HS. But of course, its not always easy finding what you want and you might have to settle for 4th or 5th place. So thats where I'm trying to determine how Duluth fits in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,459 posts, read 4,459,958 times
Reputation: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast2GA View Post
No confusion here guys. I think I got the boundaries and school maps down. Im used to postal codes up here so.

And yes, Northview is my top choice, along with Chattahoochee and Johns Creek HS. But of course, its not always easy finding what you want and you might have to settle for 4th or 5th place. So thats where I'm trying to determine how Duluth fits in.
Good luck, EastCoast2GA! It's hard to go wrong with any of the choices you listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 05:29 PM
 
Location: East Cobb
2,206 posts, read 6,179,143 times
Reputation: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
There are basically no uniformly good areas in metro Atlanta - just about every corner of the metro is a mix of nice and less nice areas.
So true. We've very much noticed how there can be very upscale subdivisions and retail, rather crummy run-down ones and everything in between, all quite close by each other. Being from Canada, where the upscale and rundown parts of any town tend to be much more homogeneous and more separated from each other, we thought this must be a US thing. So it's more a metro Atlanta thing?

If northeastern US cities are more like Canadian cities in this regard, that would explain why people moving here keep asking to know what are the good and bad parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,459 posts, read 4,459,958 times
Reputation: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
So true. We've very much noticed how there can be very upscale subdivisions and retail, rather crummy run-down ones and everything in between, all quite close by each other. Being from Canada, where the upscale and rundown parts of any town tend to be much more homogeneous and more separated from each other, we thought this must be a US thing. So it's more a metro Atlanta thing?

If northeastern US cities are more like Canadian cities in this regard, that would explain why people moving here keep asking to know what are the good and bad parts.
Although it is not necessarily the case everywhere, in many other parts of the US, especially the north, areas tend to be more uniform in terms of development and demographics. For example, as a kid in my hometown, just about everyone looked like me, talked like me, had parents that made about the same money as my parents, and had development that pretty much looked the same. In metro Atlanta, you can have a million dollar subdivsion next to a couple of shacks or a trailer park. I think that pattern is a function of the fact that most of the areas of suburban atlanta were very rural not too long ago, and have grown and changed very rapidly, in really an unplanned way. Add to this the fact that people have moved here from all over the country and the world without preconceived notions about what group of people could live where, and you get the diversity that is metro Atlanta. The demographics of my suburban, Suwanee street would not exist where I grew up in Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top