U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:17 PM

11 posts, read 20,342 times

Advertisements

Much has been written about problem tenants. I want to write about being a bad landlord.
My husband and I are a middle aged professional couple with no kids. Excellent credit rating and rental history. Never broke a lease. I am an immaculate housekeeper and with landlord permission, we have often improved the homes we rented - like painting and fixing things up. Although we have owned homes, curently we don't want the hassle and commitment of home ownership right now.
Because of a job transfer, we had to locate a rental home in a very short time and picked one from Craigslist. The house seemed to fit our requirements and the owner seemed reasonable.
I am not going to discuss the problems of being in an older, unrenovated house - such as the poor insulation (OMG - our heating bills!) and lack of sufficient electrical outlets and worn carpet. Our landlord has stipulated we only call him for am emergency, such as fire or flood. All other concerns should go to email. This would be all right if he checked it regularly which he does not. And he is fairly unconcerned about anything we bring to his attention. For instance, the wash machine is leaking. And the floor under where it leaks is getting weaker. Landlord's response - "well, let's just watch it."
I could go on but you get the gist of it. We plan to finish this lease and move on but any suggestions for how to screen our landlords better?

Last edited by Emmagirl; 01-11-2010 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 02:43 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,316,416 times
As your prior experiences showed you not all landlord are like this. I personally want a tenant that will advise me of issues and I will go out of my way to fix issues as soon as possible. I understand his preference for wanting things in writing but when there is a water leak he should be asking you to call him asap. If he doesn't care about his property how could he expect a tenant to.

To avoid this happening again I'd just say don't be afraid to ask questions and ask for references of previous tenants. If they are not willing to give them, move on. Nothing is for sure but if they say you can and should call them any time with any issues thats a good start, something this guy apparently does not do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmagirl View Post
Much has been written about problem tenants. I want to write about being a bad landlord.
My husband and I are a middle aged professional couple with no kids. Excellent credit rating and rental history. Never broke a lease. I am an immaculate housekeeper and with landlord permission, we have often improved the homes we rented - like painting and fixing things up. Although we have owned homes, curently we don't want the hassle and commitment of home ownership right now.
Because of a job transfer, we had to locate a rental home in a very short time and picked one from Craigslist. The house seemed to fit our requirements and the owner seemed reasonable.
I am not going to discuss the problems of being in an older, unrenovated house - such as the poor insulation (OMG - our heating bills!) and lack of sufficient electrical outlets and worn carpet. Our landlord has stipulated we only call him for am emergency, such as fire or flood. All other concerns should go to email. This would be all right if he checked it regularly which he does not. And he is fairly unconcerned about anything we bring to his attention. For instance, the wash machine is leaking. And the floor under where it leaks is getting weaker. Landlord's response - "well, let's just watch it."
I could go on but you get the gist of it. We plan to finish this lease and move on but any suggestions for how to screen our landlords better?

Old 01-11-2010, 02:59 PM

Thanks. You are right - I have had good landlords which is why I find this so irritating. I do accept my responsibility in not doing a better job of asking for references etc. but as I said - we had such a short time to make the move, I just wanted to find a reasonable and convenient place.
I won't break my lease (even though I can) since I'm sure that will come back to bite me in the butt. I'm also worried about him creating problems for us when we move. I have nightmares about him not giving us a good reference because of some bogus stuff..like he said we could paint - and I have an email to prove it - but the colors had to be pastels. We picked a soft color but I'm sure he will say it is not pastel enough
Anyway, our next rental will certainly be a more up to date home - probably a townhouse. We would like to stay in our current area...Decatur, Avondale, even Scottdale would be good.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:21 PM

416 posts, read 961,770 times
Is there a management company? Or does the owner handle everything himself?
Whose washing machine is it? Is it yours, and is it faulty and damaging the house?
or
was the owner kind enough to furnish it? (usually that does not happen)

Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 PM

4,091 posts, read 4,942,537 times
I had a landlord (apartment) like that in Orlando. Refused to give us a key to our gate, never fixed anything, etc. I left and wrote a note that was shipped certified mail to them with details of all the problems they refused to address. About a year later, I ran my credit, it wasn't on there. Just some motivation.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:11 PM

It is an owner rental and it is his washing machine. I just used it as an example. Another one would be we alerted him to a low shower flow and got the same answer "let's just watch it."

Thanks everybody. I'll be rental hunting again in a few moths - maybe you can be my new landlord

Old 01-12-2010, 09:02 AM

3 posts, read 10,488 times
On your next move dont use him as a reference...

Old 01-12-2010, 01:27 PM

1,988 posts, read 4,755,630 times
I was in a similar situation when we relocated to Ga. (had to find something quickly and didn't have time to shop around a whole lot in person). I found a couple that was living in the home themselves and temporarily relocating to another state for 2 years with plans to move back into this home. I think because they live here themselves and plan to return (instead of it just being a rental property) that they care more about taking care of the home. Yes, they are out of state, but we have a written agreement that if we take care of little things, that it will come off the rent as long as we tell them about it first and provide a receipt with the rent check. It's easy for me to keep in touch because I added the wife on my Facebook, and she is on there a lot.
Also, the type of tenant they were looking for clued me in that they cared about the home. For example, they wanted someone who would be sure to take care of the yard and even left their lawnmower and a full gas can for us.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:36 PM

Sounds good. I am kicking myself for overlooking all the evidence that this rental situation would not be the best. i.e - most of the windows do not have screens but no matter as the windows are painted shut anyway.
I think I am going to use this forum to find a new rental home in the next few months. Is that appropriate? Any property management companies that are recommended?

Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,316,416 times
Just a personal opinion as an out of state landlord who has used property mgmt companies before. Many times the service and response time will be much less with a mgmt company then with the small time landlord who manages themselves and quite frankly in many cases they are more likely to screw over a tenant. I experienced this myself and also had potential applicants tell me stories of things mgmt companies were doing or not doing.

If you find a good owner/mgr I'd go that route but I wouldn't exclude mgmt companies if they have a property you like, just do the same screening you will do with an owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmagirl View Post
Sounds good. I am kicking myself for overlooking all the evidence that this rental situation would not be the best. i.e - most of the windows do not have screens but no matter as the windows are painted shut anyway.
I think I am going to use this forum to find a new rental home in the next few months. Is that appropriate? Any property management companies that are recommended?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta