U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 03:53 PM

18 posts, read 33,451 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! I just accepted a job transfer/promotion to Fort McPherson from Indianapolis, and I'm trying to figure out what neighborhoods and types of housing would be appropriate for me. I will be moving in April. My current place in Indy is a 2bed/1bath Duplex with attached garage and I pay $850/month and I still live comfortably after paying my utilities. I'm in my early 30's, male, and am excited to accept the challenge of the new job.

I did read your sticky, so here are the answers to your questions:

1. Budget
Well at the max I would spend for a place would be $850-$1100/month (without utilities)

2. House/Condo/Townhome?
I would like to rent a duplex/townhome/single fam home or apartment

3a. Work location (if not working from home).
My job will be at Fort McPherson, but I'm not a big fan of living in Clayton Co. I would like my commute to be 15 miles North of the fort or less (maybe inside the perimeter, but it doesn't have to be)

4. Children (public school vs. private)
No kiddies

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
My place in Indy is in the suburbs, and I like it because of the quietness, but I do want a little mix of urban lifestyle, with people around my age, young professionals, etc.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
Yes! Easy access to public transit. I have a feeling that the MARTA rail lines are going to be my friend. So a quick drive to park at the MARTA station is important. Whenever possible I like to take mass transit downtown, or in very, very, high traffic areas, but I don't mind driving around the suburbs in my neighborhood.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

Well I'm not too picky, but an area that's on the quiet side would be #1. Currently I live in a duplex community that has a mix of elderly couples, empty nesters, and young professionals like me. I probably wouldn't want to be near too many college kids or any areas known for late-night noise.

8. Airport access, important or not?
Airport access isn't that important to me.
Any advice would help out greatly. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 04:02 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,834,831 times
With a 15 mile distance you can get to many parts of Atlanta. You may want to look at Midtown or Virginia Highlands. Midtown would give you great access to Marta and it is around 6 or 7 miles from Fort McPherson. Decatur might be something to look into also.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:06 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,223,281 times
Your post is excellent---A+ post and welcome to the Atlanta forum.

I wish I could give you some good suggestions--I'm on the other side of town and had to Google to be certain where Fort Mac is---lol--only lived here all my life but some of us don't venture out much---when you experience our traffic that will explain a lot.

Here's a thread that might offer some ideas about the area>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...h-atlanta.html

I see Archan just posted about Midtown, VA Highland and Decatur---those would be good choices and I think you have a reverse commute to Fort Mac.

hth

Old 01-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
With a 15 mile distance you can get to many parts of Atlanta. You may want to look at Midtown or Virginia Highlands. Midtown would give you great access to Marta and it is around 6 or 7 miles from Fort McPherson. Decatur might be something to look into also.
Thanks Archan! I'll definitely look into those three areas. I always thought Midtown was more of a college/party type of area. Somebody mentioned to me the Buckhead and Lindbergh area. What do you think about them as well?

Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Your post is excellent---A+ post and welcome to the Atlanta forum.

I wish I could give you some good suggestions--I'm on the other side of town and had to Google to be certain where Fort Mac is---lol--only lived here all my life but some of us don't venture out much---when you experience our traffic that will explain a lot.

Here's a thread that might offer some ideas about the area>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...h-atlanta.html

I see Archan just posted about Midtown, VA Highland and Decatur---those would be good choices and I think you have a reverse commute to Fort Mac.

hth
Thanks TakeAhike for the nice welcome and the link! No problem not knowing where Fort Mac is because people that I talk to who live in Atlanta Metro for years have no clue where it is, so it's not just you. I'll look at those three areas that you and Archan gave me. Also, what is your opinion on the Buckhead and Lindbergh area, as I asked Archan this?

Old 01-11-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuspartan View Post
Thanks Archan! I'll definitely look into those three areas. I always thought Midtown was more of a college/party type of area. Somebody mentioned to me the Buckhead and Lindbergh area. What do you think about them as well?
Midtown is not a college party area. It is very close to Georgia Tech, but I think you'll find a majority of people in your age range. Midtown has grown into the go to area for restaurants and bars. It is all very walkable.

Buckhead is a great place also, along with Midtown they are doing a ton of construction. They actually have torn down a majority of the crazy party clubs in Buckhead. I think that they are aiming at going a lot more upscale with the new construction.

I think that Midtown is definately a destination area for the Atlanta Metro. Midtown also has Piedmont Park which is the largest park in the city.

I can't tell you a whole lot about the Lindbergh area. I don't know it very well.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:30 PM

Here is a website to give you a feel for the vision of Midtown.

Midtown Mile Atlanta . An Urban Retail Experience (http://midtownmile.org/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta