Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 04:52 PM

123 posts, read 380,432 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

I am a student at a great university north of atlanta, and I need some advice. I really need to find my own place, I need an apartment, one in a safe area where me and my daughter can live. I know crime is everywhere, but what can I do to get a place? I am laid off right now receiving unemployment and i get loans and grants from school as well. I am curious about atlanta, downtown, marietta, decatur, lithonia, kennesaw areas. Thanks.

BTW, I commute to school. So it really doesnt matter if I am close to it, it would be nice though. I don't want to spend more than 700 mo on rent.

Last edited by Ms.MJ; 01-08-2010 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 10:44 AM

214 posts, read 595,336 times
I'm no expert and don't pretend to be, but here's a little info/advice I can offer.
$700 a month for you and your daughter is too low to feel safe downtown and city of decatur. Probably Marietta too. Lithonia and Kennesaw I don't know anything about.

You may qualify for subsidized housing. Not projects, subsidized apartments. Check the HUD site.

Unemployment may not be the application killer it used to be, depending on where you apply. If you just started receiving it, and are exempt from job searches because you're a full time student, then you can likely prove you're eligible to receive it for 52+ weeks, which is longer than the rental agreement. That's actually more secure than a lot of jobs right now. Not advocating, just saying.

You may need a heftier deposit, and, of course, credit matters. If you really don't care about the difference between a 2 hour commute and 20 minute commute (you must have a ton of reliable help for your child), then think about areas further out (Douglas, Henry, etc.)

Good luck in school.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreeze22 View Post
I'm no expert and don't pretend to be, but here's a little info/advice I can offer.
$700 a month for you and your daughter is too low to feel safe downtown and city of decatur. Probably Marietta too. Lithonia and Kennesaw I don't know anything about.

You may qualify for subsidized housing. Not projects, subsidized apartments. Check the HUD site.

Unemployment may not be the application killer it used to be, depending on where you apply. If you just started receiving it, and are exempt from job searches because you're a full time student, then you can likely prove you're eligible to receive it for 52+ weeks, which is longer than the rental agreement. That's actually more secure than a lot of jobs right now. Not advocating, just saying.

You may need a heftier deposit, and, of course, credit matters. If you really don't care about the difference between a 2 hour commute and 20 minute commute (you must have a ton of reliable help for your child), then think about areas further out (Douglas, Henry, etc.)

Good luck in school.
Thank you so much for replying to my question. I agree with you, just by checking out apt sites that 700 or below for 2 bedroom is not usually in great areas. I was thinking about just getting one bedroom in a decent area. I cant really afford 800 and up. I am looking for employment, Im just trying to balance everything and its hard. My commute right now is about 40 mins.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:54 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MJ View Post
Thank you so much for replying to my question. I agree with you, just by checking out apt sites that 700 or below for 2 bedroom is not usually in great areas. I was thinking about just getting one bedroom in a decent area. I cant really afford 800 and up. I am looking for employment, Im just trying to balance everything and its hard. My commute right now is about 40 mins.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a law that you MUST have a 2 bedroom if the child is over a certain age (like 2 or 3)?

How old is your child?

Where are you located? There are some 2 bedrooms in the $600-700 range in Norcross. It's not necessarily a "great" area, but it's not a war zone either.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a law that you MUST have a 2 bedroom if the child is over a certain age (like 2 or 3)?

How old is your child?

Where are you located? There are some 2 bedrooms in the $600-700 range in Norcross. It's not necessarily a "great" area, but it's not a war zone either.
My child will be 7 in two months.I go to KSU, I am not too familiar with norcross but I dont want to be too far from campus.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:36 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
You can get a 2-bedroom apartment at Brooke Mill in Woodstock starting just under $700. We stayed there for a few months in 2007 when our house was being built, and it's a pretty decent development. You'd be about 8 miles from Kennesaw State, and the schools in the area are pretty good as well.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You can get a 2-bedroom apartment at Brooke Mill in Woodstock starting just under $700. We stayed there for a few months in 2007 when our house was being built, and it's a pretty decent development. You'd be about 8 miles from Kennesaw State, and the schools in the area are pretty good as well.
Thanks Bob! I guess my only dilemma is that my family is in East Atlanta and I have a class that ends at 6:45 pm so I need my father to pick my kid up. I don't think a day care is open past that. Its just a crazy situation. I will definitely look into the HUD apartments, I found some and I will check it out tomorrow. I will keep you all posted and thank you all for your help. I would so love to live in Woodstock it would be so sweet to be near campus!

Old 01-11-2010, 08:57 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,952 times
Check out the Falls at Sope Creek in Marietta. I used to live there and it's in an ok area. A 1br was 505/month so I can't immagine a 2br being over 700. They're on Roswell rd right off of the 120 loop. Also, East Lake apartments (right up the road from Falls) might be under $700 for a 2br but I'm not sure.

You can definitely find decent two bedroom apartments in the suburbs for under $700 if you look. Will they be posh? No, but they won't be in the hood either.

I'm not sure apartment complexes worry so much about proof of employment as they do proof of reliable income, in your case unemployment checks and student loans. If you can provide the stubs to your checks and if they meet the requirements they'll let you sign. Usually the rule of thumb is you need to make 3x your monthly rent to avoid a large deposit and/or a cosigner.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 PM

Oh ok, thanks for that info Adric. I went to an apt complex today that is very nice but has the HUD affordable housing thingy. Well, they did not have any of those apts available. I called another and the woman was real nasty but she said they only had 1 bedroom. I guess I will look for others in addition to the affordable housing if they will accept my unemployment/loans as income, cause it is. Is there something special I should say to them? I know I sound dumb but I am clueless as to how to go about this thing.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:47 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,434 times
Look on craigslist under "housing." They have many good deals and you can map the proximity to your school. If you're going to KSU, as someone else said, Woodstock would be great because it's a cheaper "exurban" area and apartments would probably go for cheap up there. Commute wouldn't be so bad, either! The whole area around there is safe, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta