U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 01:12 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,409,246 times

Advertisements

Milton is a beautiful area with great schools. But, if you are commuting, make sure you take into consideration the time it takes to get to 400 (or over 400) if that is where you are going. The back roads can get horribly congested, especially during the morning and afternoon/evening commute times.

Also, take into consideration the percentage of vacant lots remaining to be built in. We were considering a subdivision with amazing homes but it was about 40% built out and less than two years later, the lots were divided in half with homes worth less than half of original homes built on them. The home we loved ended up selling for half price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,858 times
Yes, both issues are two of our top concerns. I currently work from home, so the lack of a commute is the only reason we could consider a move from East Cobb to Milton. If my job were to change such that I had to be a daily commuter, I'm sure we'd look to sell, which would not be easy in a development that is only 50% built. Why buy my house when you can build your own?

I've also seen developments where a top builder sold lots to track builders. It's just a risk that I don't see how you can't mitigate. Any suggestions?

Old 10-28-2011, 10:01 PM

7 posts, read 19,037 times
Valmont consist of a community that remains mostly UNFINISHED. Some of the current inventory have been turned into rentals...so not all the people who do live in the lots that have homes are owners...just be aware of that...

Old 10-28-2011, 10:06 PM

I suggest in this market you choose a development in Milton that is completed and has stability. There are many to choose from. It is to risky right now to purchase a home in a development where the lots can go back to a lender or be sold....also not anything against renters but it would concern me about cash flow if a builder has to resort to "renting" instead of "selling"...

Old 10-29-2011, 11:44 AM

538 posts, read 793,861 times
You won't find much "diversity" in Milton......but you can leave your home unlocked when you're gone.....some nice restaurants in the Crabapple area so you won't starve.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Not true about diversity...not sure where that came from.. I have all nationalities and religions living in my community... Milton consist of a mix of old and new... I will say that most of the residents are affluent and/or educated, corporate and business owners. Most homes priced in the 600k plus range, some in the 400k and quite a few million dollar plus communities. Several country clubs as well.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:45 AM

876 posts, read 1,991,663 times
Milton in 2011 reminds me of how Alpharetta looked like around year 2000, not yet densely developed but not as overbuilt as it is today. Nearby Johns Creek has about the same feel since it was carved partly out of Alpharetta. There is definitely diversity in the Milton as there is all of the metro. In time, Milton will get more developed as just about everything else already has in North Fulton and elsewhere near that area.

Given what is going on, I would buy in a completed neighborhood, not one partially built out, not worth the risk in any price range IMHO. There is a lot of very good slightly used housing available at a great price.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:56 AM

8 posts, read 11,098 times
We are looking at a home in Valmont, and was curious if you bought on this subdivision? We are a little concerned with so many vacant lots and rentals.... Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:14 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,409,246 times
You should really be concerned- two years ago we nearly bought a house in a subdivision that was 30% built out. The homes had started around a million dollars and then dropped to a price point that was amazing, but I was worried about the vacant lots and resisted the low prices. Lucky, because a year later, those lots were sold, divided and homes built that are in the $300s. Our dream house that had been a million dollars recently sold for less than $500,000 and the entire subdivision is a weird mix of homes as well as there are hard feelings between the original homeowners and the newbies.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:53 AM

The homes for sale have been taken back by the bank and the renters are moving out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta