U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,517 times

Advertisements

I love Atlanta and and I have visited 3 times in the past year. I have looked at apartments and found a few great ones fro about 450-500 dollars. Would me going with 2000 be a safe bet while I'm job hunting? Is just me btw..average electric and food I don't eat to much . Would the 2000 be safe for a few weeks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,491,179 times
The best advice - do not move anywhere until you find a job. Plain and simple.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 AM

997 posts, read 4,314,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
The best advice - do not move anywhere until you find a job. Plain and simple.
I agree. In this economy, it is just too risky. I could go through that amount in just days. Granted I have four kids and a decent size house. Even for a single person food, utilities, gas, everyday needs etc. adds up quickly.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:43 AM

I could have a job but i have to wait a few weeks my cousin is a lawyer there an he got me sormthing Hes Just waiting for me to get there. But I will trust you guys and hold off..it's just difficult you know when your resume says you live in ct but ur looking for a job on atl any suggestions on that?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,328,523 times
First off, most apartments that rent for $450-500 aren't "great" unless they're 25-30 miles from the center of town- anything in that price range in town isn't going to be a great place to be.

That said, your $2k will be gone the first day you get here. By the time you pay the security deposit, first month's rent, cleaning deposit, credit check, etc., even on a $450 apartment you'll be down $1,200. Now call the utility companies to get power, phone, etc., and you'll spend another couple hundred in deposits. Put gas in the car and buy a few groceries, and you're done.

Unless you've got killer skills in a very high-demand position, you're not going to find a job and be collecting a check in "a few weeks". Even if you're looking for retail/food service positions, there's plenty of competition here, so don't expect to start working immediately. IMO, your $2,000 plan is very risky unless your car has comfy reclining seats and a good heater.....

Old 01-12-2010, 11:51 AM

I have already looked at the apartments and they are not in bad areas and I'm not bringing a car either I appreciate your answer it's very helpful! Don't get me wrong i have a great job in ct but I do want to continue wih school and the school i want to atten is in atl and I love atl so I guess i shoul probably wait a few more months and some extra money away! You all have great advice and i love it

Old 01-12-2010, 12:18 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,860,368 times
If your cousin has found you a definite job I wish he'd adopt me! (LOL).I would also run the name of the apartments by him. Seriously, as the other posters have stated, you will go through the $2000 moving. I heard on a local station (WSB) last week that the Atlanta market ranks fifth in job losses nation wide. For you and anyone else who is considering a move, come with very deep pockets full of money. We are all serious about this and not exaggerating.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:22 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,687,494 times
I'm a transplant that moved here searching for a co-op in 2005. Different situation though because my father helped me out until I got established. If you want an adventure but not completely throw away $2,000: Line up job interviews before coming here. Then take the $2k and put yourself up in a cheap extended stay in a safe area like the Microtel Inn on S. Cobb Parkway right off 285 in Smyrna. Then hit the pavement and don't be disappointed if you don't have any luck. The job market isn't much better in metro Atlanta right now than it is in CT and Atlanta isn't exactly an affordable area anymore. It's about as hard now to get established in metro Atlanta as it is in Connecticut. A sucky economy is a sucky economy and house prices in metro Atlanta are about equal to that of Connecticut.

Note: You are probably going to go through the first few hundred getting down here. Make sure to set aside a few hundred to get back.

By the way - you have to bring a car. You'll be sorry if you don't because your mobility and options will be severely hampered. Are you from Fairfield county or something and used to hopping on metro North? There's Marta, but it only covers a tiny bit of a metro area about the size of Connecticut in area

Finally, there are really old apartments in some ok areas that are in the $500 range but be careful.

Last edited by netdragon; 01-13-2010 at 12:39 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 02:11 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,640,201 times
I was going to suggest Extended Stay, noticed NetDragon already suggested that. That way, you dont need to get utilities etc. connected. And I would suppose you get kitchen etc as well. But it probably does not get you an Atlanta address? But there are probably ways to get around that. And you can always get an Atlanta cell phone number.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:21 AM

3,615 posts, read 6,687,494 times
Even if you can't get a room with a kitchen for a cheap enough price, you can buy a hot plate and cooler. That should get you through a few weeks or however long until your money runs out. Rooms at the Microtel Inn are often advertised for $30s or $40s (changes daily). Isn't a bad area either (I live about a mile North of there). It's kind of industrial right around the inn, but aside from that, all around it are expensive neighborhoods. You'll either need a car or have to take the bus into Atlanta or Cumberland. Luckily, I can almost guarantee there will be a bus stop there considering it's right near an office park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or