U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,977 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I am considering moving to Atlanta from the Seattle area for a job opportunity. I am a single professional female in my 30's

1. Budget: Will rent initially until i get the lay of the land and figure where I want to buy. Budget max to rent will be around $1600/mo - obviously I'd rather not pay that much so more bank for my buck is better.
2. House/Condo/Townhome: Any but no high rise condos - need some space (2-3 bdrm, ofc area, etc), would like a yard of some variety or park-like setting. I may have my aging father with me (tbd) so space will be needed.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home):
Commuting to the 3300 block of PeachTree (across from Lenox Square)
4. Children(public school vs. private) No Children
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
This is a bit tough. I like to be within walking distance of a great little cafe and great restaurants but I hate all asphalt and buildings. As well I love natural settings so close to a park or someplace with a lot of trees. I love hiking but don't imagine I'll find what I'm looking for near the mountains. I suppose it is a mix of suburban quiet but urban offerings. Being single I still like to go out to a nice dinner and hear jazz or have a few drinks with friends but I am not looking for a party or collegiate environment. I like the arts, theater or just roaming through artistic stores and art galleries - these things don't need to all be within walking distance but somewhat near would be nice.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? A nice to have as I prefer public transportation (go green!) but not required. I have a car.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
Demographics would include an area that has a mix of ethnicities if possible (gotta find good chinese, indian, mexican, ethiopian, japanese food somewhere! two out of 5?) but more so am looking for an area that is not all families.

I lived in NC for 3 1/2 years and loved it (except for a strip mall on every corner). I enjoy the south immensely but still need my Trader Joe's and Whole Paycheck (Foods).

If I accept this job offer I will be moving in the February timeframe.

Hope that was enough information - Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 06:04 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,227,522 times
I'd look at rentals (house-type apartments) in the following areas:
Peachtree Hills
Garden Hills
Virginia Highland
Morningside

Look on Craigslist first as these quaint rentals are typically done by owner.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,977 times
Thank you! Since I won't have a lot of time to scope out the differing areas before making a decision do you know of any great websites that highlight these areas? I'll be in Atlanta for the next two days but will unlikely have time to explore. Thanks again.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,482,929 times
I would think Virginia-Highland would most appeal to someone like you: Virginia Highland :: Atlanta, Georgia

I'm not 100% sure about the commute up to Lenox, though. I've never made my way in that direction for rush hour(s).

If you had to work downtown I would totally recommend the area where I live, which is Candler Park (but I would lump Inman Park, Little 5 Points, and Poncey-Highlands in there as the same area). If you worked downtown you could live in Candler Park or Inman Park and hop on MARTA to go to work. Both neighborhoods are on the east line.

You could probably take the train to work up at Lenox but it would probably take an hour with the switch at the 5 Points Station (not to be confused with Little 5 Points).

Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,397,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I would think Virginia-Highland would most appeal to someone like you: Virginia Highland :: Atlanta, Georgia

I'm not 100% sure about the commute up to Lenox, though. I've never made my way in that direction for rush hour(s).
Not too bad IMO. take North Highland Ave. to the Lenox Rd./Johnson Rd fork. 'Lower Lenox Rd' joins up with Cheshire Bridge for about 1/2 mi until it becomes Lenox Rd. again (just after you pass under I-85).

Old 01-12-2010, 10:21 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,755,406 times
You may also wish to contact promove.com

Many people in these forums have used them and recommended them in the past, and say they're pretty good at getting people hooked up to the right place for them.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,879,635 times
You might like Candler Park. Cute, historic bungalow neighborhood surrounding a good-sized park (called Candler Park, funnily enough) and on The PATH (intown urban trail system) with shops and restaurants scattered in the neighborhood plus terminating the funky Little 5 Points business district. It's also close to more shops and restaurants in Downtown Decatur, Emory Village, and the Kirkwood business district. There is a MARTA rail station in the neighborhood as well, although it's on the E/W line and you'd have to transfer at Five Points downtown to take the N/S line to Lenox.

I'll DM you with a link to a web site that has info on intown neighborhoods.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:43 PM

927 posts, read 1,950,582 times
Va-Hi definitely jumped at me first...and both Trader Joes and Whole Paycheck are close to Va-Hi :-). Plus, since it's further north, it's one of the hoods closest to Buckhead (where Lenox Rd is) without you having to live in Buckhead, which is more suburban than what you're looking for.

Other advantages to Va-Hi:

-Right behind Piedmont Park, so you'll have easy access to Atlanta's most prominent urban park and the locale of dozens of events annually
-Has been one of the most steady urban hoods in Atlanta. Even when Atlanta's intown neighborhoods had gone through a period of decay, Va-Hi has been among the most consistent, therefore it has a sense of being established, mature, and is void a bunch of new cookie cutter developments. With that, has more amenities than other recently revitalized hoods.
-Close to midtown, where you can enjoy all the arts and culture you would probably want
- Walkable- it's not NYC walkable, but you can get around a good bit. Many of Atlanta's urban communities are set up to where there is a large residential area and one core "village" area. Being walkable in Atlanta doesn't necessarily mean you can walk outside your door and be right next to what you need, however, homes in Va-Hi have decently sized sidewalks, people actually do walk to their neighborhood parks, and you will just be a short drive away (and a doable walk if you're up for it) from Va-Hi stores and nightlife.

Last edited by bizchick86; 01-14-2010 at 08:54 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 09:48 PM

130 posts, read 270,076 times
Wink Looking for a walkable neighborhood in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Va-Hi definitely jumped at me first...and both Trader Joes and Whole Paycheck are close to Va-Hi :-). Plus, since it's further north, it's one of the hoods closest to Buckhead (where Lenox Rd is) without you having to live in Buckhead, which is more suburban than what you're looking for.

Other advantages to Va-Hi:

-Right behind Piedmont Park, so you'll have easy access to Atlanta's most prominent urban park and the locale of dozens of events annually
-Has been one of the most steady urban hoods in Atlanta. Even when Atlanta's intown neighborhoods had gone through a period of decay, Va-Hi has been among the most consistent, therefore it has a sense of being established, mature, and is void a bunch of new cookie cutter developments. With that, has more amenities than other recently revitalized hoods.
-Close to midtown, where you can enjoy all the arts and culture you would probably want
- Walkable- it's not NYC walkable, but you can get around a good bit. Many of Atlanta's urban communities are set up to where there is a large residential area and one core "village" area. Being walkable in Atlanta doesn't necessarily mean you can walk outside your door and be right next to what you need, however, homes in Va-Hi have decently sized sidewalks, people actually do walk to their neighborhood parks, and you will just be a short drive away (and a doable walk if you're up for it) from Va-Hi stores and nightlife.
- - - - - - - - - -

I echo the needs of the poster to whom you replied and need some more details about VA-Highlands. This is probably a stretch, but I'm looking for an urban/village setting that is walkable and your description of VA-Hi somewhat approximates what I want/need. I lived in NYC for 15 years and Wash DC for longer, so I'm somewhat looking for a place to put down (final) roots that has some city vibe. And I'm resisting buying a car. As long as I can walk to basic shopping and I'm close to public transport, I can get by without it, renting a car only when I have to (or for some heavy-duty shopping). It's still cheaper (and greener) than owning a car.

Is it possible to get a spacious apartment in VA-Hi for less than $1000 without having to drive everywhere? I'm a single female, young (at heart) and a foodie so need some great food shops in the vicinity. I would appreciate feedback from anyone? Thanks a million.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 AM

719 posts, read 1,504,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmassive View Post
I lived in NC for 3 1/2 years and loved it (except for a strip mall on every corner). I enjoy the south immensely but still need my Trader Joe's and Whole Paycheck (Foods).

Sounds like Atlanta's your place alright.

Another area you might consider is the SE Lawrenceville area, where there happens to be a TJ's. It's reasonably central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or