U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 AM

14,385 posts, read 23,053,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

[A person] grew up in a conservative household and came out completely liberal. I wonder how that happened if your theory is actually true?

Sexual orientation, perhaps?

Just offering responses to the question...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM

314 posts, read 553,087 times
Quote:
Sweetie, I'm far from conservative. I can't believe you didn't pick up on that information.

I grew up in a conservative household and came out completely liberal. I wonder how that happened if your theory is actually true?
You saw where I said that these aren't absolute laws set in stone, right Just propensities. Hell I changed my mind too, but I didn't just wake up one day and think "You know what, everything I've ever known is entirely wrong!" It came from putting myself in a new school situation, discussing issues with different people, etc. It's not impossible to change at all, but it parents/friends/relatives at an early age do affect your views on things, at least until you find a really good reason to change them (and given that you're open minded enough to change them, given proper evidence).

And I'll restate and adjust my comment from earlier:
I can't believe I'm lecturing a liberal on the importance of family!

EDIT: Sorry for mis-characterizing you as conservative, btw. I must have mis-read the part of your post about moving to NYC.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

That's sometimes the case (although not always by a long shot! And there are no absolutes, so it's hard to generalize like that.) In Deacon's case I think that's probably more a shot in the dark than an informed guess.

Anecdotally, I work with a recently-out gay guy brought up in a VERY conservative household and he's not letting a pesky thing like sexual orientation get in the way of his beliefs. Interesting guy.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:15 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,178,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigs View Post
I grew up in atlanta, went to college here, and have my own family here now living OTP. I've never been aware of any "ultra-conservative" areas. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Of course you haven't. You grew up here and went to college here and are now raising your own family here. ...
However, if you moved to New York city, you'd likely feel that your new neighbors were ultra liberal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And yet 'Ultra Liberals' are referred to as simply that, while Conservatives are referred to as 'wing-nuts'. Let's not be disingenuous. Your POV is quite clear, although you do have a point about what is 'normal'.
Quote:
I wasn't trying to hide my POV, just say that my post wasn't about that. ... I expected the conservative reader to think "how ridiculous" about all of that but hopefully, to appreciate that one's notions of what's moderate and what's extreme (or "wing-nutty") depends a lot on local norms.
Quote:
Why would "local norms" have any bearing on the political views of an individual? I just don't believe that most people are influenced by what is considered "normal" in their geographical area. People believe what they believe, whether it's in NYC or Atlanta.

I guarantee you that if I moved to NYC, my neighbors' ultra-liberal beliefs wouldn't shock me in the least...and my beliefs wouldn't seem conservative to them.
C'mon Deacon, this was your first contribution to the above sub-thread. My "if you moved to NYC" comments that you're disputing were addressed to Wrigs, an evident conservative, not you or any other random liberal reader, for Pete's sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
This has been disproven a million times over. ...
I can't believe I'm lecturing a conservative on the importance of family in shaping our choices and the way that we look at the world (work ethic/morals/etc).
Quote:
Sweetie, I'm far from conservative. I can't believe you didn't pick up on that information.
So since you decided to respond as if you were Wrigs, everyone gets confused and thinks you're conservative. Whether intentionally or not, you really sowed confusion!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
That's sometimes the case (although not always by a long shot! And there are no absolutes, so it's hard to generalize like that.) In Deacon's case I think that's probably more a shot in the dark than an informed guess.

Anecdotally, I work with a recently-out gay guy brought up in a VERY conservative household and he's not letting a pesky thing like sexual orientation get in the way of his beliefs. Interesting guy.

Not a shot in the dark, not a guess.

And I wasn't necessarily talking about DeacJ...look at my post it says [A person].

Old 01-19-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
C'mon Deacon, this was your first contribution to the above sub-thread. My "if you moved to NYC" comments that you're disputing were addressed to Wrigs, an evident conservative, not you or any other random liberal reader, for Pete's sake.

So since you decided to respond as if you were Wrigs, everyone gets confused and thinks you're conservative. Whether intentionally or not, you really sowed confusion!

Good posting and responses.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:57 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,631,018 times
Quote:

Oh, my bad...I thought everyone was welcome to join the discussion. If you want to have a private convo, I suggest you do it somewhere else. This is a public forum. I respond as I see fit...and no, I don't always take time to read every page of every thread before throwing in my 2 cents. It has worked fine for me thus far, but thank you for the criticsm.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:58 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,631,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

Sexual orientation could have some influence on such a case, but certainly isn't the cause in most cases. I would attribute it to the independence of individual minds.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Sexual orientation could have some influence on such a case, but certainly isn't the cause in most cases. I would attribute it to the independence of individual minds.

But, in your case...

Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:

Yeah, you know humans... all rugged individualists never possibly influenced by anyone or anything that happens around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or