Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:56 PM

97 posts, read 354,418 times

Advertisements

Funny thread...... Reminds me of a listing I had during the Kerry election. I told one of my clients there was no need for "two" Kerry signs in her yard. One was iffy but two was unnecessary. Needless to say, somebody has thrown a banana peel in their front yard every day for a couple years on their way to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 04:06 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,736,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley View Post
Funny thread...... Reminds me of a listing I had during the Kerry election. I told one of my clients there was no need for "two" Kerry signs in her yard. One was iffy but two was unnecessary. Needless to say, somebody has thrown a banana peel in their front yard every day for a couple years on their way to work.
At least a banana peel is biodegradable...very much acceptable to us liberals.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:11 PM

97 posts, read 354,418 times
And who eats a banana every day?...... Lotta sugar in those. Don't even think Arnold Schwarzenegger would eat more than a couple bananas in a week.

During the Obama election, there were a good amount of Obama signs in Buckhead. There seemed to be more Palin signs than McCain signs.

Last edited by Marka; 02-17-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 PM

28 posts, read 88,941 times
I applaud you for asking the question. I think alot of people play the game of, "I want to live in a diverse, cultural part of town where all ideas are excepted and all people are enlightened." That's code for liberal. So instead of beating around the bush, just come clean with it and say, "I want to live in an area where everything is diverse and accepted...... except being Conservative or Christian." I'm being a little tongue and cheek, but we should all be more honest as you have been.

As a conservative, I would prefer to live around people that believe in crazy things like upholding the constitution, personal responsibilty, smaller government and that God is our Creator. Not that I wear all those things on my sleeve, or dont have liberal friends......Its just more likely that I will have more in common with my neighbors if I actually respect the way they think.

Nothing wrong with wanting to live near people that share common values, beliefs, etc. I think its natural.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:20 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,235,982 times
Right, because "upholding the constitution, personal responsibilty, smaller government and that God is our Creator" is soooo not a liberal thing. Right. At least you got me on the God part, me being an agnostic and all.

I tell you what, I get tired of being defined like that.

And hey, I do know you don't mean to define liberal that way but it's done all too often.

All my story said was that when I lived in the burbs I got the finger because of my Kerry sticker and people tried to get me to join their church and wanted to talk about God in daily conversation the way I talk about HIV in Africa (because my job involves research there). If it weren't for those two things I'd probably been more comfortable. Especially since I recognize that as an atheist+agnostic family we are very much in the cultural minority. Heck, we're in the culutural minority for liberals....

sheesh...

proc rant subject=me_cranky (rename=(frustration=relaxed));

sorry...venting because tired of being told I must not love America (how can you love an inanimate object anyway - but I do feel passionate about America), that I want to DESTROY the Constitution (no - I want it to stay Constitutional to America as America the World Leader, not mummified from 1788), that I don't "believe" in personal responsibility (when really what I believe in is giving shoeless penniless people a pair of boots with straps so they can pulls themselves up).

run;
quit;

And a little bit of nerdiness to take the edge off.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:12 PM

28 posts, read 88,941 times
Even if I let the upholding the constitution and personal responsibilties pass as a liberal core value, I'd love to hear how smaller government is on the liberal agenda?

Having no religion is very much a religion. Its takes a great deal of "faith" to believe in nothing.

No need to respond, I will be to busy being a racist homophobic war mongering xenophobic KKK joining tea bagging bigot to look at this thread again.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:08 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,235,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iudiehard View Post
Even if I let the upholding the constitution and personal responsibilties pass as a liberal core value, I'd love to hear how smaller government is on the liberal agenda?

Having no religion is very much a religion. Its takes a great deal of "faith" to believe in nothing.

No need to respond, I will be to busy being a racist homophobic war mongering xenophobic KKK joining tea bagging bigot to look at this thread again.

Sheesh, at what point did I label YOU? So sensitive.

And no, having no religion is not a religion. And I didn't say I believed in nothing. I said I was agnostic.

As for small government, I am not interested in ever legislating morality. All I want from our government is to provide healthcare for all, education for all, to scale back the military (but keep it - I come from an Army family and I know the value of a military), and to keep the Big Man from squashing the Little Man. Otherwise, I want it to keep it's nose outta my business.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:23 PM

1,499 posts, read 5,081,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Sheesh, at what point did I label YOU? So sensitive.

And no, having no religion is not a religion. And I didn't say I believed in nothing. I said I was agnostic.

As for small government, I am not interested in ever legislating morality. All I want from our government is to provide healthcare for all, education for all, to scale back the military (but keep it - I come from an Army family and I know the value of a military), and to keep the Big Man from squashing the Little Man. Otherwise, I want it to keep it's nose outta my business.
Other than the health care and education for all part, you actually sound like you'd be a libertarian!!

Old 01-16-2010, 08:45 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,986,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iudiehard View Post
Lack of "religion" doesn't always imply a lack of spirituality.

A person can be spiritual without hanging on to the various rituals and dogmatic trappings that most formally organized religions seem to require, or at least strongly advocate.

Beliefs exist outside of organized religion. I believe that most humans are basically good, for example. That isn't based on some tenant passed down to me through religious teachings ... it's a personal belief based on four decades of experience dealing with people.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,986,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Based on the above, it looks like you and I have a good deal in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta