U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,629,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
And the minor led the man to her house, and into her room.
Are there really people here who don't understand that a 14 year-old is not capable of making adult decisions? She may look like an adult, but her mind isn't mature enough to be in such situations - and she shouldn't be in a situation with a 31 year-old because HE should make the adult decision to avoid it.

I can't believe anyone would attempt to blame the minor child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:40 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,202,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Are there really people here who don't understand that a 14 year-old is not capable of making adult decisions? She may look like an adult, but her mind isn't mature enough to be in such situations - and she shouldn't be in a situation with a 31 year-old because HE should make the adult decision to avoid it.

The Law is clear about this. Certainly a defense attorney will have some comments. But---glad I won't be sitting in the courtroom to hear it--surely there is a birth certificate and that will be entered as proof of her age.

I don't want to think about the entire scenario---'not the first time', perhaps the parent or guardian wasn't sufficiently concerned. Or worse--there can always be a worse scenario---the child has been sexually active since ??? age 8??---perhaps sexually abused. Any number of truly sad and painful details could be forthcoming.

good night all

Old 01-14-2010, 07:15 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,827,816 times
Quote:

I think the article said that this was not the first time she had been caught sneaking boys into her room. While they were just boys and not men, she is still only 14. I think that she should assume some of the blame and this blame should be used to teach her the risks of her behavior. Of course this would not be legal/criminal blame or in any way take any of the blame away from the man. He should be charged to the full extent of the law and I hope he gets the book thrown at him.

Little kids are taught by their parents not to talk to strangers, she needs to be taught to not to sneak grown men into her room. For her personal safety and the safety of any other family members in the house.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:22 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,937,616 times
Quote:
Well, no...the girl is 14 years old - a minor. The 31 year-old man is totally to blame in this case.
That's absolutely right... if you think this girl is 18, then there's no reason you are sneaking through windows in the middle of the night. The girl obviously has some issues that need to be dealt with. As adults, our charge is not to take advantage of weak children!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I know I must 'live in a different world'/Boomer and all that. These stories truly shock me. That any 'man'--non-teenage boy would be crawling in or out of a teenage girl's bedroom makes me want to throw up or cry or something.

Yes, certainly, the young lady 'did something' to encourage the 'relationship' and 'In Court' I guess attorneys can discuss 'whether she 'Said' she was 13' or 'Whether she 'Said' she was 18'---the Law.

Beyond that--in the name of all that is Holy-this very casual attitude towards 'SEX' is not going to end well for society as a whole.

To all the Dads who wouldn't think twice about doing the 'Right Thing'.

Returning to my dinosaur cave to stick my head down a dark hole--cover my ears. I've heard too many of these stories.
For the record, statutory rape is a STRICT LIABILITY crime. It doesn't matter if she had a fake ID that said she was 21... to avoid all the he said/she said drama, just about all state criminal laws make statutory rape a strict liability crime. The state does not have to prove that the perpetrator knew the victim's age. They only have to prove that the victim was underage and it's a wrap. I agree with that stance. If you're not sure, it's not worth it... in this case, dude was sure.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Boarding school? Heck no. I'd want her where I can keep an eye on her and enforce some stricter rules. The door would come off her room, she would have a strict curfew, she would lose her precious little cellphone, internet, and any other form of modern communication.

Sounds to me like that child grew up way too fast.
I guarantee that she is missing a father figure. But, yeah, boarding school is probably the worst place for someone with issues... she will probably end up pregnant and on drugs faster.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:34 AM

23,125 posts, read 36,356,975 times
Nice to see all the sympathy for the victim. If my daughter was engaged in this activity at age 14 and I caught her, I would wallop her hind end like she owed me six months' rent.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:42 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,291,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Nice to see all the sympathy for the victim. If my daughter was engaged in this activity at age 14 and I caught her, I would wallop her hind end like she owed me six months' rent.
Exactly! Folks can sit here all day saying "But she wasn't an adult! She didn't know what she was doing! She can't be held responsible for her actions!" I call BS- this little girl knew exactly what she was doing, or a stranger (31 y/o or otherwise) wouldn't be sneaking into her room. She knew it was wrong, she'd done it before, and she's likely to do it again.

While the legal age for consent is 18, today's society has kids learning far more far earlier than we ever did as kids, and even back when I was a kid, at 14 my friends and I were fully aware of sex, how to do it, what the repercussions were, etc. With TV, movies, etc., today, by 10 these poor kids probably know more than we did when we were 18. All of that still doesn't make what this guy did right, and he deserves a penalty far greater than he'll receive, but let's not make it seem like the girl is some poor, defenseless, naive victim here.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:57 AM

14,385 posts, read 23,049,595 times
Lovin and Mr. Kovacs...

Good posts.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:19 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,202,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Lovin and Mr. Kovacs...

Good posts.
and --it seems like "Mom' might be culpable. Glad to have forgotten a great deal about this type of thing--but if you are 'The Paren't --and your child is engaging in this sort of activity under your roof---I do believe there are statutes on the books that could be applied--'Neglect--Failure to Control' ---

Perhaps the DA has his hands full with such cases and it seems I read that the Mother reported the incident.

I'm in cynical mode today--don't think anything is going to change the 14 yr's old mind. I know at one point Dr. Phil ran or had someone run some sort of boot camp for teenage girls---a few got the message but a higher percentage chose not to change.

I'm not sure this is correct but I thought I heard GA had some of the stricter laws that are relevant to this sort of conduct. If so---Good for Us/GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or