U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 03:50 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,781,361 times

Advertisements

What are your opinions on Perdue's proposal of merit pay for teachers?

Perdue proposes teacher pay changes based on student performance *| ajc.com

georgia.gov - Governor Proposes Investments in Georgia's Future, Encourages Long-Term Perspective (http://gov.georgia.gov/00/press/detail/0,2668,78006749_129886711_130508560,00.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 04:42 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,647,522 times
Sounds good on paper, but it is all about the implementation. To do it right would require more testing and a lot of money. Neither of which is likely to happen, therefore, I see some half-a___d attempt to make something work that will probably run teachers out of tough districts. Teachers can only control certain things and basing pay on only test scores does a disservice to teachers in districts where parents do not emphasize education. Teachers cannot control what happens the other 18 hours a day.

Personally, a change in pay is needed, but I don't trust Perdue or the current legistature to do it correctly.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,629,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Sounds good on paper, but it is all about the implementation. To do it right would require more testing and a lot of money. Neither of which is likely to happen, therefore, I see some half-a___d attempt to make something work that will probably run teachers out of tough districts. Teachers can only control certain things and basing pay on only test scores does a disservice to teachers in districts where parents do not emphasize education. Teachers cannot control what happens the other 18 hours a day.

Personally, a change in pay is needed, but I don't trust Perdue or the current legistature to do it correctly.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:45 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,853,136 times
Merit pay has been batted around for several years in different forms. During my teaching years I had many remedial classes. What are the provisions for these students and for low performing districts? Will the pay be based on a percentage or a specific cut off score? Another area that will be affected, according to what I heard on television, is pay for completing advanced degrees. I'll be watching this with interest, as I have friends who are teachers. Some are on the verge of completing new degrees and certifications. Personally, I am glad that I left this profession many years ago.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:54 PM

45 posts, read 196,342 times
Well, there are pros and cons to both.

I only briefly read the article when it was emailed by our principal.

My situation- I had an awesome class last year. Minimial behavior issues.....My ESOL students were consultative meaning we "watched" them but they were performing well and had scored well enough on the testing so they didn't require services unless they fell behind. My result- highest test scores in the grade level. Average Level 3 score on testing.

Soooooo......I got a stacked class this year. 6 ESL direct services (their scores were low enough in language proficiency that they are receiving supplemental services), 4 Special ED students (3 of which were retained), and 3 behavior issues that are monitored through SST's and on specialized behavior plans. So what are my results going to be this year? Not Level 3 averages and definitely not the highest in my grade level. I can't compete with other classes in my grade level with no spec ed kids and no ESL kids. I can only assume they gave me these kids because they thought I could reach them- they are the "tough" ones.

Would I "trade in" my class to have higher performing kids (and make more money)? Not in a heartbeat! I give my all to these kids to try to ensure they are successful, but they are not going to be like my class last year. In 10 years of teaching this is the most challenging class I have ever had. But they have definitely made me a better teacher by forcing me to constantly look at new avenues in how to teach them. They have improved me as a teacher.

But there are some "bad" teachers as there are "bad" people in all professions.

And what about those teachers that are working in the lower performing schools? There are some great ones that pour their heart and soul into what they do. But there are some too that perhaps need to look into another profession.

I see it as resulting in better teachers at better schools and perhaps not so great teachers in not so great schools.

Granted, they may have made stipulations to account for these issues- I have been too busy teaching to have time to examine these.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,738,590 times
I would propose something different:

That the parents of all kids have their own take-home pay based on how involved they are in their children's lives and education. Those who take an active involvement in their kid's homework, making sure their kids are doing their assignments at home, going to PTA meetings, making time to meet the teachers, etc., would enjoy nice paychecks. Those who don't care or bother to invest the time would bring home minimum wage.

So I guess that means if we did it that way, there will be a lot more opportunities at Burger King for jobs for parents.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:31 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,629,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

That the parents of all kids have their own take-home pay based on how involved they are in their children's lives and education. Those who take an active involvement in their kid's homework, making sure their kids are doing their assignments at home, going to PTA meetings, making time to meet the teachers, etc., would enjoy nice paychecks. Those who don't care or bother to invest the time would bring home minimum wage.

So I guess that means if we did it that way, there will be a lot more opportunities at Burger King for jobs for parents.
Merit pay for parents...it has a nice ring to it and would probably spell the end for many of society's ills; therefore, it can never happen.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:48 PM

14,385 posts, read 23,049,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Brilliant post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or