Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:21 AM

7 posts, read 10,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I haven't checked but I've heard that Publix offers a delivery service (At least the one near midtown on Piedmont) but I don't know for sure.
That's good to know; I will found out if the one in my area offers the service.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"Would you use grocerie delivery service?"

It's already been tried- as others stated- Webvan.
If it was really wanted or used- they'd probably still be in business. The biggest reservation I heard and Mattie stated- "I like to pick out my own produce".
Webvan went bankrupt in 2001. The way the average consumer uses computers now is very different than it was in 2001, which is the main reason why I say they were ahead of their time.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:03 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Webvan went bankrupt in 2001. The way the average consumer uses computers now is very different than it was in 2001, which is the main reason why I say they were ahead of their time.
Plausible.
But, most people have this affinity for being "touchy-feely", especially when it comes to produce and meats (if I remember correctly that was the one thing they didn't have).

Old 01-14-2010, 02:16 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,256 times
I know a few people who use a produce delivery service and pick up their produce weekly at the subdivision clubhouse. If I were you I'd try a trial balloon doing the following.

Go through all of your contacts and identify those who might pay for such a service. Potential customers who come to mind are individuals with long commutes and people with overloaded schedules -- for example, people who are working and going to school.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:28 PM

254 posts, read 522,082 times
We have FREE delivery service from Stop and Shop via Peapod and still do not use it. At the end of the day most people like to pick out their own produce, meats, ect. We did use it a few times when my wife was pregnant and it was convienent, but they almost always messed something up.

I wish you luck, but you also can not pick a worse economy to start this in. Add up all the costs of running it and the amount you would have to charge would be way more than anyone would pay.

Just my 2 cents

Old 01-14-2010, 04:33 PM

339 posts, read 696,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

I remember Webvan I used them a few times. At the time my car was acting up and Webvan made sense for me to load up on my groceries without trying to lug packages on the bus or make multiple trips to the store. I had no complaints about their service. You knew what time to expect them and they were on time (within 10 minutes)

If my memory is correct, I felt they were a little bit more price wise than if I had went to the store myself to shop, but I figured the premium I paid was for the delivery/gas.

they probably were ahead of there time back in 2000-2001. In these times, if webvan was still in business it might be different especially with more people working from home and having more things to do in a day this would be one less chore. I don't think I would be an exclusive shopper of a delivery service though. I do like to pick my own food, especially my veggies and meats, canned goods, cleaning supplies might be different.

Where the demand for this service might be for the elderly who cannot get around much ( can't drive) or very well. One thing with that is they too might want to pick their own food or they may feel if they don't know you they mightn't want to open their door to accept the delivery, let alone place an order.

I am sure there is a market for this type of service, but it may be a niche that market research and business plan will help you find....good luck to you

Old 01-14-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
We have FREE delivery service from Stop and Shop via Peapod and still do not use it. At the end of the day most people like to pick out their own produce, meats, ect. We did use it a few times when my wife was pregnant and it was convienent, but they almost always messed something up.

I wish you luck, but you also can not pick a worse economy to start this in. Add up all the costs of running it and the amount you would have to charge would be way more than anyone would pay.

Just my 2 cents

Is good to know that ,you used the service because of special situation. And that's the type of customer that might be interested. Good Economy or not sometimes some folks cannot just go to the store as easy at it is. Pregnant, Elderly, handicaped.
Also in this economy many people use food stamps ,or any other goverment benefit, probably it won't be deifficult for a few just to get some extra bucks from their pocket to pay for the service. I think.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
I know a few people who use a produce delivery service and pick up their produce weekly at the subdivision clubhouse. If I were you I'd try a trial balloon doing the following.

Go through all of your contacts and identify those who might pay for such a service. Potential customers who come to mind are individuals with long commutes and people with overloaded schedules -- for example, people who are working and going to school.
Yes that's a good idea; sometimes mothers with many kids (3+) will need extra help.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post

Just my 2 cents
When I used Peapod in downtown Boston, I mainly used them when I purchased canned goods and to stock up on my supply of sodas. 2 liter bottles can really add up in weight. I don't know if it was worth it, because since I really didn't know what to tip the delivery guy, I tipped well.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPeach View Post
I remember Webvan I used them a few times. At the time my car was acting up and Webvan made sense for me to load up on my groceries without trying to lug packages on the bus or make multiple trips to the store. I had no complaints about their service. You knew what time to expect them and they were on time (within 10 minutes)

If my memory is correct, I felt they were a little bit more price wise than if I had went to the store myself to shop, but I figured the premium I paid was for the delivery/gas.

they probably were ahead of there time back in 2000-2001. In these times, if webvan was still in business it might be different especially with more people working from home and having more things to do in a day this would be one less chore. I don't think I would be an exclusive shopper of a delivery service though. I do like to pick my own food, especially my veggies and meats, canned goods, cleaning supplies might be different.

Where the demand for this service might be for the elderly who cannot get around much ( can't drive) or very well. One thing with that is they too might want to pick their own food or they may feel if they don't know you they mightn't want to open their door to accept the delivery, let alone place an order.

I am sure there is a market for this type of service, but it may be a niche that market research and business plan will help you find....good luck to you
Thanks for the opinion, is very realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta