Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:56 PM

6 posts, read 25,927 times

Advertisements

Hey all, just moved here and am really stuck trying to find a SFH in a great school district, 4BR, under $450K, and not too far outside the perimeter (or preferably inside). Since I'll be commuting to downtown Atlanta and don't want to spend an hour in traffic, I haven't looked at places like Roswell and Alpharetta. So far we've primarily looked into Sandy Springs and Dunwoody (not really east Cobb since it seems far from the highways).

I will also say that in general I don't like suburbia; I'd prefer the feel of a town like Decatur, but unfortunately I don't think that will work (my wife wants to stay closer to family in SS).

The biggest issue however seems to be finding a good PS district. I hate to say this, but it really seems like the test scores and reputation of the public schools here directly correlates to race and income (ie the schools with less minorities and less kids on reduced lunches). Is that really the case in Atlanta? I grew up in public schools that were very mixed, and they were all great schools. I really cannot afford, and don't want to send my kids to waspy, non-diverse, and elitist private schools.

I spent 6 years here in a previous life as a college student....I just never imagined living here with a family would be so tough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 02:08 PM

102 posts, read 389,330 times
Decatur is very high achieving as well as diverse. Their middle school (Renfroe Middle) just won both a GA School of Excellence Award as well as a Platinum Award for student achievement. My understanding is that less than a dozen middle schools statewide won these awards. They also have some pretty slick pedagogy (Expeditionary Learning in K-3 and International Baccalaureate in 4-10). 4BR for 450K is a bit of a stretch in Decatur, but it can be found.

If Decatur is too far, I'd recommend Dunwoody, but look at Chesnut Elementary. It is a charter school and is far more laid back and diverse than Austin and Vanderlyn (which are IMO too focused on test prep), but Chesnut has good achievement levels and a very warm feeling to the school.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:13 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
The APS district in Morningside/Midtown/Piedmont Heights is excellent...Morningside Elementary, Inman Middle, and Grady High...and a very easy commute to Downtown/Courtland Street, plus a quick 15 minute drive out to Sandy Springs.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:20 PM

102 posts, read 389,330 times
Ditto, Deacon is right... I forgot about that. 4BR at 450K might be tough to find there though.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:28 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frances125 View Post
Ditto, Deacon is right... I forgot about that. 4BR at 450K might be tough to find there though.
Oops...you're right. The current housing market might allow that though - I'm not sure.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:23 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The APS district in Morningside/Midtown/Piedmont Heights is excellent...Morningside Elementary, Inman Middle, and Grady High...and a very easy commute to Downtown/Courtland Street, plus a quick 15 minute drive out to Sandy Springs.
The Midtown neighborhood is actually now zoned for the new Springdale Park Elementary School (Morningside and Piedmont Heights still attend Morningside Elementary, however).

And Midtown students still attend Inman Middle and Grady High.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:36 PM

115 posts, read 424,125 times
Look at the Heards Ferry area (Fulton). Also look at the Oak Grove elementary district (Dekalb). I also know people who have been very happy at Laurel Ridge elementary, though I have heard mixed reviews about Druid Hills (the H.S., also Dekalb). You will probably find more in your price range in these areas.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:36 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
The City of Decatur is not that far from Sandy Springs. It will have the vibe that you are looking for with the great schools too.

City of Decatur, GA
http://www.csdecatur.net/

Old 01-15-2010, 04:47 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Keep in mind that most visits to the family will be at non-rush hour times. And the family can come to her sometimes and you can meet in the middle for dinner as well.

Don't rule out the Sandy Springs' schools. Just find the right ones. I happen to think Woodland (similar to Chesnut, I believe) is a great school. Heards Ferry has had a huge change in demographics because of a new school opening and is well regarded.

Also, in this economy, you might be able to find something in Buckhead.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 AM

308 posts, read 1,037,866 times
Even Sandy Springs isn't going to be an EASY commute to Downtown. If you look in Sandy Springs you might as well look at Roswell IMO. I drive SS to Decatur all the time...takes me 15-20 min in no traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta