Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 07:31 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,796 times

Advertisements

in your opinion what are the most prestigious companies to work for in atlanta.

i already know of

cdc
colleges/univ
home depot
coca cola
delta

i currently work in the financial sector with the credit department. i will have my degree in marketing soon (bs), and i am looking to relocate to atl from up north by the end of 2011. i can stay within the company i work for, but just work in a different department....it is a pretty prominent company in the state where i live. i am curious to know of the prominent companies in Atlanta, so i can familiarize myself with them in case i want to consider a company change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:47 AM

625 posts, read 1,149,264 times
has nothing to do with what companies are based in atlanta. Almost all fortune 100 and many 100-500 companies have a presence here, just pick the best ones and find apply to the local office online.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Seeing as Atlanta is home to three fortune 100 companies, I'd say those are the top companies to work for.

UPS, Coke, Home Depot.

(I research this city WAAAY too much for my health)

Old 01-15-2010, 10:32 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Seeing as Atlanta is home to three fortune 100 companies, I'd say those are the top companies to work for.

UPS, Coke, Home Depot.

(I research this city WAAAY too much for my health)
I know several people who work at Home Depot in the "Store Support Center" (corporate HQ) on Paces Ferry Rd.

All I will say is that there's a lot more you should take into account besides the position of a company on the Fortune 100. The benefits, pay, and other cultural factors at HD could be significantly better from what I've heard, and some of their IT processes seem to be left over from the 1980's.

At least the new CEO seems to be a vast improvement (from an employee perspective) than Nordelli, so maybe positive changes will continue.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Hey, I live in a state with no F100... And only "several F1000." I'd gladly take the companies your state has.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:32 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I know several people who work at Home Depot in the "Store Support Center" (corporate HQ) on Paces Ferry Rd.

All I will say is that there's a lot more you should take into account besides the position of a company on the Fortune 100. The benefits, pay, and other cultural factors at HD could be significantly better from what I've heard, and some of their IT processes seem to be left over from the 1980's.

At least the new CEO seems to be a vast improvement (from an employee perspective) than Nordelli, so maybe positive changes will continue.
Nardelli is just another corporate zombie that General Electric churns out.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

I worked for Home Depot back in the 90s at the headquarters...that company doesn't value its corporate employees whatsoever, and doesn't mind letting them know that they aren't important. The store employees are a little overvalued IMO, and while they should be rewarded and kept happy because they are on the frontb line, it shouldn't be at the expense of the support staff.

One great thing about working for Home Depot - corporate employees weren't expected to dress up for work, so the environment was nice and relaxed. I loved that part.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:03 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
Don't forget NCR's still on the F500 until next yr when they fall off as they've been falling 50-60 places for the last few years. Not a prestige company but serviceable I guess. They do have 125 yrs of history and essentially pioneered the modern sales force concept. I would definitely call them a company w/ substandard IT processes. They haven't had revenue growth since the early 90's prior to their AT&T merger/spin off.

Full list of F1000 companies in Georgia
Fortune 500 2009: States: Georgia Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Other companies also have very sizable presences in Atlanta. AT&T Wireless is still based here, a lot of GE Energy, Porsche North America, Lotus and the list goes on. Very few companies don't have some offices here although not all have the functions you're probably looking for.

As for Home Depot...I do ok for myself and while their IT could definitely use improvement, they have put a fairly huge investment into revamping their systems and processes. That said, I'm writing this on a 5 yr old Celeron powered laptop but I'll deal w/ it if it means a larger bonus.

Home Depot may not be overly generous on their salaries but they're a company founded on being a cost leader which leads to tight financial controls. WalMart's rank/file HQ people aren't rolling in Bentley's either. You still see plenty of high five figure German luxury vehicles in the lot so some people are getting theirs. It's not Wall St. but few places are and it's how you position yourself vs. how generous a company is on their annual cost of living raises. I've averaged 10%/year raises since '05 and I fully intend to accelerate that as the economy recovers and I finish my MBA.

Best advice is to take a look at Glassdoor.com for salaries that people report for specific job titles. You'll find ridiculous things like software engineers at Accenture make under $50k starting out but most companies fall within 10k of each other for similar job titles. I only came to THD when they took my counter offer which was placed solidly above the average for the title.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:46 PM

81 posts, read 292,844 times
Keep in mind, only publicly traded companies are listed in the Fortune 500. There are some great private companies in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta