U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:18 PM

230 posts, read 440,383 times

Advertisements

NY is ridiculous, 20-30 years ago I would say Long Island was an extraordinary place to live, I am very happy to have been one that grew up there. Because so many realized this the Prices have consistently gone up. Taxes are beyond ridiculous, $15k a year is common for a decent house in a good school district. The traffic is the worst I have ever dealt with, much worse than Atlanta, not even comparable. Also they have built so much it is not the same place I grew up, all the farms are now developments. Out east where the remainder of my Long Island family lives is still nice, but now we are talking a HUGE premium for a house. Last peice is NY does NOT have neighborhoods like the South, especially Atlanta. Atlanta builds neighborhoods that are family friendly with ameneties, that does not exist anywhere in the North that I am aware of.

If I have anything to say about it I will not return. I currently live outside of Boston, MA. Not a fan of the snow and cold 5 months of the year, but much better than NY.

Consider this, I have been scoping out Atlanta and what I can get for $600k (4000-5000 sqare feet with 1/2-1 Acre of land in a Country Club Neighborhood with all the ameneties), would cost in the Millions in NY or Long Island. I am not sure you could even find a neighborhhod with comparable ameneties. That is before we talk taxes, car insurance, ect.

And for what it is worth you would not catch me in a million years with a Obama sticker on my car, personally think he is destroying our country. 3 years left, hopefully the senate keeps pushing as much as possible until his term is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 05:27 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,407,813 times
For some of us is simple- job in Atlanta vs. no job in Connecticut/New York. So it not that we are all choosing to move there.

The lower cost of housing is appealing, but the price of housing here has also dramatically decreased in the the last two years so it is not as substantial as you might think.

Atlanta/Georgia offer great incentives to corporations willing to relocate to the area and many companies in the Northeast are opting in.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:43 PM

4,091 posts, read 4,944,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I have heard this from other nothern transplants yet time and again I see an Obama or Kerry 04 sticker on their car. Seems to me if you had a problem with overtaxation and big government and fled to get away from it you would be more conservative leaning especially moving to Georgia. For the record I am not implying that you have an Obama sticker on your car. LOL
Will not touch this.

And if you think Atlanta is bad with New Yorkers, come to Tampa and tell them to leave.. Please?

Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 PM

8,021 posts, read 12,553,681 times
There is also the effects of the Third Great Migration (Read up on the first and second one link). African-Americans are returning to the south in droves, and hundreds of thousands of them have been coming from NYC since the 1979s. My parents were among them, and more people than I can count that I grew up with.

It would only make sense for a lot of them to come to the largest and most important city in the south for the economic opportunities.

Quote:
Southern metropolitan areas, particularly Atlanta, led the way in attracting black migrants in the late 1990s. In contrast, the major metropolitan areas of New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco experienced the greatest out-migration of blacks during the same period.
http://www.brookings.edu/reports/200...hics_frey.aspx

Old 01-15-2010, 06:28 PM

3,876 posts, read 9,143,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
One can have progressive politics, but desire a much lower cost of living.

They are not mutually exclusive.
Yes, what I wanted to say is high cost of living is not limited to just high taxes. It could just be the high base costs for anything, such as rent, food, transportation, etc. Paying taxes never really bothered me, but seeing the high price tags on everything is what I didn't like about California.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:40 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,578,946 times
Great, another thread just to make an excuse to bring up politics and subtly bash Atlanta.

http://bobbeckstead.com/blog/wp-cont...o_see_here.jpg

Old 01-16-2010, 08:41 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,829,451 times
I think that living in New York or the Northeast must be an acquired taste. Either you love it or you hate it. I personally would not want to live in New York, the attitude, the crowds and the weather are just not worth it. Life is too short. I lived in Boston and have been to New York many times. Everytime I had to go, I hated it. Obviously from these threads some people love it and defend it with a passion.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:33 PM

230 posts, read 440,383 times
I have many friends that defend it with a passion, they all have one thing in common, they have NEVER lived anywhere else.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:05 PM

1,688 posts, read 2,600,936 times
Quote:
So then is it safe to assume that Charlotte, Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, Dallas, Houston, etc.. have just a many New Yorkers moving there?
Nashville doesn't have many New Yorkers moving there (Charlotte gets all of them) but people from California are moving to the Nashville area in droves for some reason. Los Angeles was second on the list of transplant migration to Nashville in 2008-2009. Memphis was #1.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:17 PM

45,269 posts, read 90,433,491 times
Quote:
So then is it safe to assume that Charlotte, Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, Dallas, Houston, etc.. have just a many New Yorkers moving there?
Yep. The truth is, the south has the northeast beat when it comes to quality of life - EVERYONE wants a piece of what we have here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or