U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 AM

198 posts, read 221,249 times

Advertisements

Hi - we're looking at our options and DH is a civil engineer who has over 25 years of construction experience and has been working for the last 10 years with one of the top construction firms in the country. He's based in NYC and has worked on major projects there but we're open to moving farther south. Wondering what the market is like there...

His company does have headquarters in many major cities, including Atlanta but what are his other options? Due to the economy, things are pretty flat here andl, luckily, he wasn't laid off but wondering what Atlanta offers.

Thanks.

BTW, he's making over 175K now but I realize that's NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 12:19 PM

11,319 posts, read 23,011,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenie1 View Post
Hi - we're looking at our options and DH is a civil engineer who has over 25 years of construction experience and has been working for the last 10 years with one of the top construction firms in the country. He's based in NYC and has worked on major projects there but we're open to moving farther south. Wondering what the market is like there...
The construction industry in Atlanta is a booming industry when things are going well (until recently, the metro was adding 100,000 people a year!), but I've heard that the collapse of the real estate market has really hit the construction industry hard in Atlanta.

Maybe someone here has more direct experience. I know that some of the unfinished subdivisions in my local area (southern Smyrna) are starting to see building activity again, so maybe that indicates a potential upswing?

Old 01-16-2010, 12:27 PM

198 posts, read 221,249 times
Default Thanks - he does only commercial construction like hospitals, colleges, office buildings,

financial centers, etc. However, the housing market may reflect the overall health of the industry. I'd be interested to see what others have to say too. Thank you.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:31 PM

13,447 posts, read 51,487,368 times
That potential upswing will be short lived. although residential is showing signs of recovery- the next dip and probably an even worse recovery is commercial real estate.
However, the transportation segment of construction could be on a fast track if Sonny Purdue can get the sales tax increase he's asking for.
So, if DH has Hwy/Rd construction experience- he might be in luck.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:29 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,324,736 times
The construction industry here in in pretty rough shape. I work for a large commercial GC, and it's a really tough market. We're seeing firms that normally wouldn't look at a project under $25 million now bidding on $2 million projects, and seeing 20+ bids on most projects. That's on top of a very limited number of projects in the first place.

If he's making $175k in NYC, he'd probably be in the $125-135k range down here, if he was able to find a job. There's still a big of a "good ole boy" network down here, especially for the senior positions, and there's plenty of local talent already available, so I'd say he'd have a tough time finding something at the moment. We made the move from NJ to GA in mid-2007, so I got in before the bottom fell out of the market, and had a job within a month- I wouldn't even think about trying that again in this market.

IMO, your best best is to visit a few places you'd like to consider, start researching who's who in the market, and hang tight for a year or two. I don't see there being a large upswing in activity here for at least that long- in building or civil work.

If you'd like to send me a private message to get more info, feel free. I think I know who he may be working for, and there's a possibility that it's the same company I work for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta