Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:25 PM

997 posts, read 4,644,137 times

Advertisements

We are at Findley Oaks Elementary in Alpharetta/Johns Creek. It is part of the Northview cluster. I am very pleased with the special education services there. He was diagnosed last year in Kindergarten with mild ADD and mild Autism. I had no problem getting him an IEP. I didn't have to push at all for anything and he has a very mild case.

I will have to say that we have lived in a few places over the years so I've experienced different school districts and I haven't had any problems here at all. We first lived in the Boston area and I was very pleased with our district there. We moved to North Carolina, the Raleigh area, and I was extremely unhappy with the schools. They were horrible. Even for my children who didn't need special education services. As you can see after this I was a little worried when we were moving to GA. Boy was I completely surprised. I don't know where the children of the other posters go to school but I don't find this to be the case at the schools here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 06:03 PM

19 posts, read 149,590 times
[quote=jln69;12489322]We are at Findley Oaks Elementary in Alpharetta/Johns Creek. It is part of the Northview cluster. I am very pleased with the special education services there. He was diagnosed last year in Kindergarten with mild ADD and mild Autism. I had no problem getting him an IEP. I didn't have to push at all for anything and he has a very mild case.

I will have to say that we have lived in a few places over the years so I've experienced different school districts and I haven't had any problems here at all. We first lived in the Boston area and I was very pleased with our district there. We moved to North Carolina, the Raleigh area, and I was extremely unhappy with the schools. They were horrible. Even for my children who didn't need special education services. As you can see after this I was a little worried when we were moving to GA. Boy was I completely surprised. I don't know where the children of the other posters go to school but I don't find this to be the case at the schools here.[/quote

I am thinking of relocating to the Atlanta GA area; i have an 8 year old with high functioning Autism. Any tips about how to have outcomes similar to yours will be appreciated!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:01 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,003 times
Hopefully, in two years, the economic situation will have improved for the better throughout the country. School districts everywhere are having to trim budgets. It just seems that the trimming in both Fulton and Cobb County Schools is pretty deep (I'm not qualified to judge if they are justified). However, it appears that tax payers there are not going to tax people out of their houses, as is happening in certain parts of the NorthEast to pay for schools expenses that can be eliminated.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:54 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,524,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
We are at Findley Oaks Elementary in Alpharetta/Johns Creek. It is part of the Northview cluster. I am very pleased with the special education services there. He was diagnosed last year in Kindergarten with mild ADD and mild Autism. I had no problem getting him an IEP. I didn't have to push at all for anything and he has a very mild case.

I will have to say that we have lived in a few places over the years so I've experienced different school districts and I haven't had any problems here at all. We first lived in the Boston area and I was very pleased with our district there. We moved to North Carolina, the Raleigh area, and I was extremely unhappy with the schools. They were horrible. Even for my children who didn't need special education services. As you can see after this I was a little worried when we were moving to GA. Boy was I completely surprised. I don't know where the children of the other posters go to school but I don't find this to be the case at the schools here.
It really depends on the disability (or learning difference as we say at my house). My neighbor has twin girls who are mildly autistic and they get many many services...including a person to shadow them throughout the day. It was very hard for me to not be frustrated by this. ADHD and Dyslexia are different animals. Harder to identify for many reasons ....and can be put off as developmental for years by the school system. Also these types of kids can be successful in the early years. We are in Cobb county and our Ed Psych is in Fulton. Her kids are ADHD and she has had the same experience as we have...and uses the same advocate.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:28 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,003 times
Your IEP needs to have a classification and one of Autism brings with it a wider array of services than ADD or ADHD. IDEA is federally mandated and all states are required, by law, to provide specific services according to individual needs. Getting those services may require intervention. Anyone with a child with special needs should do their research (just start a goggle search). Also, you must be provided by the school district a copy of the procedural rights and safe guards. FAPE and LRE should are key to your child's program.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 7,053 times
Default LD schools

North Fulton and the Roswell area offer a central location to many of the areas private school options for students with LD,ADHD, SLP disabilities. GA also has the Special Needs Scholarship - SB10 available. You can find info at: [url=http://www.educatedgeorgia.org/]Center For An Educated Georgia[/url] Check into scholarships offered through SSO and shcolarship endownments through the private schools. Sometimes all you have to do is ask for financial assistance. Look at Mill Springs Acadmey, Swift School, St. Francis School, Eaton Academy, Cottage School, Atlanta Speech School, Brandon Hall. There are many fine private options in the Atlanta metro area. In addition I know a few people who are having success with the public schools in North Fulton. They fight for services but they seem to be content. Also check [url=http://www.greatschools.org/]GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: