U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2012, 12:12 PM
 
2 posts, read 12,274 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Just keep in mind that in May of 2012 Piedmont Driving Club was featured on local news for sordid behavior. A quick search on the internet for inappropriate behavior at the member/member and you can see what was reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2012, 03:02 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,050 posts, read 1,399,128 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by skandrewj62j View Post
Just keep in mind that in May of 2012 Piedmont Driving Club was featured on local news for sordid behavior. A quick search on the internet for inappropriate behavior at the member/member and you can see what was reported.
So you read a story in the AJC and believed everything? Are you a member, or a member of another of the real Atlanta clubs? (And unfortunately Sugarloaf, St. Marlo, Laurel Springs, Country Club of the South, St. Ives, The River Club, etc. are not real Atlanta clubs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 03:09 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,050 posts, read 1,399,128 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Really? I found Dunwoody to be perfectly lovely.
I agree Dunwoody is superior to St. Ives and Sugarloaf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 05:31 AM
 
3,972 posts, read 11,278,647 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBC1 View Post
Any new info about local clubs? We will be moving to Buckhead after school year and wil be searching a CC for our family of six. Thanks for any new info.
Your comments about why are interesting.

You will need a sponsor at any of the Buckhead clubs (but the Club may help you find one. As someone else said, memberships aren't nearly as hard to come by these days.

Most families join swim/tennis facilities in their neighborhoods or in the closest neighborhood to them. This is where many families spend their entire summer, or a big part of it. When you talked about sports at a CC, I presume you just met swimming, golf and tennis, right? Because the country clubs in Atlanta don't offer more than that.

PS -- There is no Jewish Country Club in metro Atlanta anymore. As indicated above, the Standard Club has opened its membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 03:13 PM
 
456 posts, read 1,038,551 times
Reputation: 212
I knew after reading this who wrote it before I even looked at your name. You are precisely the reason why we CHOSE not to live in Buckhead. So snobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
So you read a story in the AJC and believed everything? Are you a member, or a member of another of the real Atlanta clubs? (And unfortunately Sugarloaf, St. Marlo, Laurel Springs, Country Club of the South, St. Ives, The River Club, etc. are not real Atlanta clubs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,050 posts, read 1,399,128 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
I knew after reading this who wrote it before I even looked at your name. You are precisely the reason why we CHOSE not to live in Buckhead. So snobby.
Well my friend who is from the "Buckhead establishment" lived in Ohio for a few years because of her husbands job. When she came back to GA she lived in Johns Creek because her husband was working up there. She now lives in Buckhead. She told me when she hears Buckhead is snobby she laughs. She said Johns Creek was much snobbier. She said the gated CC neighborhood she lived in up there was a true keeping up with the jonseses place. She said the PS students were much more artificial, stuck up, spoiled, and sheltered vs. Buckhead private school students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2012, 09:11 PM
 
456 posts, read 1,038,551 times
Reputation: 212
Well, it's good to know that you base all of your useless generalizing from one person who is part of this "Buckhead establishment" you speak of. I get sick and tired of listening to you constantly trash the place I live and stereotype everyone that lives here. I drive a nice car that we bought and is almost paid for, we just bought a nice house that has a 55% LTV. We don't ALL mortgage everything to the hilt, lease vehicles we can't afford to show off and think we are all that because we live in a swim/tennis or golf club or CC community. These types of communities attract out of towners because we are new and want to meet people and want to live in a community that has a lot of social activities. But they are also full of native Georgians. We just choose to live here like you choose to live there. You give the wrong impression of where we live to people who are trying to decide where to live.

Mr. Panda, I love him dearly, but we all realize he really really loves S. Forsyth and Johns Creek and maybe goes a little too far with how great he thinks it is. You don't like him for that reason yet you do the exact same thing.

I hate to quit this board because I like to still touch base and help others but you are making it quite difficult for me!



Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Well my friend who is from the "Buckhead establishment" lived in Ohio for a few years because of her husbands job. When she came back to GA she lived in Johns Creek because her husband was working up there. She now lives in Buckhead. She told me when she hears Buckhead is snobby she laughs. She said Johns Creek was much snobbier. She said the gated CC neighborhood she lived in up there was a true keeping up with the jonseses place. She said the PS students were much more artificial, stuck up, spoiled, and sheltered vs. Buckhead private school students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,050 posts, read 1,399,128 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
Well, it's good to know that you base all of your useless generalizing from one person who is part of this "Buckhead establishment" you speak of. I get sick and tired of listening to you constantly trash the place I live and stereotype everyone that lives here. I drive a nice car that we bought and is almost paid for, we just bought a nice house that has a 55% LTV. We don't ALL mortgage everything to the hilt, lease vehicles we can't afford to show off and think we are all that because we live in a swim/tennis or golf club or CC community. These types of communities attract out of towners because we are new and want to meet people and want to live in a community that has a lot of social activities. But they are also full of native Georgians. We just choose to live here like you choose to live there. You give the wrong impression of where we live to people who are trying to decide where to live.

Mr. Panda, I love him dearly, but we all realize he really really loves S. Forsyth and Johns Creek and maybe goes a little too far with how great he thinks it is. You don't like him for that reason yet you do the exact same thing.

I hate to quit this board because I like to still touch base and help others but you are making it quite difficult for me!
Thank you for putting money down! Then again I am not surprised you are from NY and they tend to be better with their money up there(I grew up in NYC). Do call an estate planning attorney in GA because we do have some good trust laws for protecting your home from outside liability. Because in Georgia we do not have tennancy by the entirety like NY. And in GA everything is online so if your house is in you and your husbands name it will come up in google because of the system most counties use(qpublic) pulls the record up on google.(I do not have my name on the trust name so if you google my name it doesn't show my house record). I did that for privacy(from my tenants just in case they find out my name which would be hard for them to do because of how I own my rentals) and protection from lawsuits.

You went with Laurel Springs? I check the listings in every surrounding county at least once a week and it seems their values have not been crazy like some other neighborhoods in the area I will not name so I do not offend anybody.

I have been investing in residential real estate since 1988 and commercial since 1995. So I do get critical of some of Mr. Pandas ideas because you cannot compare two drastically different places for investments. It is like comparing the Sovereign Condos in Buckhead with One Beacon Court/Bloomberg Tower Condos in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2012, 07:50 PM
 
1,523 posts, read 2,726,257 times
Reputation: 955
The window to join some of the better in town clubs at a discount is about to end.

Capital City, Cherokee and PDC are running deals which brings their pricing to where it was over a decade ago. Apparently waiting lists are filling up fast so join quick if you want to take advantage.

The discounts are heavier the younger you are. Basically all the clubs did a mad dash to take on as many new younger members as possible. All sorts of no interest, deferred pmts.

Last edited by ATL Golfer; 06-10-2012 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:24 AM
 
1,523 posts, read 2,726,257 times
Reputation: 955
Anyone play Alpharetta Athletic Club? Playing here on Friday and wondering if it is worth the drive from where I am (40 mins or so).

Would likely be playing the East course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top