U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:17 PM

858 posts, read 1,156,487 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what's going on with the lot on the NW corner of Hammond and Perimeter Center Pkwy? I remember hearing about some big development there (2-3 highrises?) but after moving some dirt around a year or two ago the crews disappeared. Maybe all that stuff was just there for the sidewalk construction..? Is anything still planned for this site?

I also wonder about the "grassy knoll" at the NE corner of Ashford Dunwoody and I-285. The Shops at Ravinia was supposed to go in there but it's still just a drawing on a sign. What happened?

I assume the economy is to blame, but I was just curious if anyone knew any details about these (or nearby) developments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 06:51 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,275,277 times
Everything has been canceled or delayed because of the economy. Several projects were scrapped all together. I am terrible with compass directions, but the project that was suppose to be on Perimeter Center across from the mall, has filed for some permits but is at least 12 months from starting. There was a condo project proposed on the Chequers/Fudrucker side (I think) that has been scrapped.

They have been trying forever to put a shopping center at the "grassy knoll" (great name by the way), long before the economy tanked. Obviously, they couldn't even get tenants in a super strong market -- they ought to take the sign down for a while.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,466,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Does anyone know what's going on with the lot on the NW corner of Hammond and Perimeter Center Pkwy? I remember hearing about some big development there (2-3 highrises?) but after moving some dirt around a year or two ago the crews disappeared. Maybe all that stuff was just there for the sidewalk construction..? Is anything still planned for this site?

I also wonder about the "grassy knoll" at the NE corner of Ashford Dunwoody and I-285. The Shops at Ravinia was supposed to go in there but it's still just a drawing on a sign. What happened?

I assume the economy is to blame, but I was just curious if anyone knew any details about these (or nearby) developments
The large development at Hammond & Perimeter Center Pkwy is called High Street. The developer has received the zoning variances they asked for, now it's just a question of the economy recovering.

Welcome to High Street

I honestly don't think many people realize just how urban the Perimeter Center area is poised to become. Some of the proposals (like this one) are just mind boggling.

And to think this area was nothing but dairy farms not that long ago.........

Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 PM

288 posts, read 848,452 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ml#post7349022

Hey Erick here is another thread from about a year ago where I had inquired about the same thing, looks like the projects are on hold or may not even happen, at least for a good while till things turn around. Personally I think the grassy spot where the highstreet project is suppose to be they should turn it into like "Perimeter Park", would be a great small space to go hang out on a nice sunny day, see neighbors, is right close to Marta, which could be good and bad. THe other spot "the grassy knoll" lol would be a great little park too!

Old 01-18-2010, 01:35 PM

288 posts, read 848,452 times
As far as bars/pubs type places there is a Sage Bar/Tavern soon to be opening in place of the old Houlihans in Park Place across from Perimeter mall, great spot especially being right there with a couple other bar/restaurants!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM

858 posts, read 1,156,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriser987 View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ml#post7349022

Hey Erick here is another thread from about a year ago where I had inquired about the same thing, looks like the projects are on hold or may not even happen, at least for a good while till things turn around. Personally I think the grassy spot where the highstreet project is suppose to be they should turn it into like "Perimeter Park", would be a great small space to go hang out on a nice sunny day, see neighbors, is right close to Marta, which could be good and bad. THe other spot "the grassy knoll" lol would be a great little park too!
As much as I'd like to see something like High Street, I agree with you about the parks. We really need something better than Hammond and the private properties like Ravinia. Someone's forgotten people actually live here and we might want a public greenspace. The mall is a ridiculous waste of space, they should build a larger parking deck and turn half of that outside lot into a park. One can dream

This area is becoming very urbanized and I wouldn't be surprised to see it look more like Buckhead does now after another 10 years or so of good economic growth. It's interesting how much growth has been occurring so far from downtown, even in places with no rail service like Vinings.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:29 PM

225 posts, read 522,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I honestly don't think many people realize just how urban the Perimeter Center area is poised to become. Some of the proposals (like this one) are just mind boggling.

And to think this area was nothing but dairy farms not that long ago.........

I remember Ashford-Dunwoody being full trees, except for Park Place and the Mall. There was no Wal-mart shopping center, Macaroni Grill, Target, Perimeter Pointe, Best Buy, etc... all trees where those spots are.... I also remember the mall having 3 anchors: Rich's, Macy's, and J.C. Penny's. (Macy's being where Bloomingdale's currently is, Rich's being where the current Macy's is located, and J.C. Penny's being where Dillard's is currently located). And remember the movie theater that was located in the mall parking lot, just outside J.C. Penny? My, times have changed for sure!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,983,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
This area is becoming very urbanized and I wouldn't be surprised to see it look more like Buckhead does now after another 10 years or so of good economic growth. It's interesting how much growth has been occurring so far from downtown, even in places with no rail service like Vinings.
Vinings is adjacent to the Cumberland business and retail development area by the NW 75/85 intersection (I've heard it called the Cobb Cloverleaf?), so there isn't as much reason to go downtown for employment or entertainment. A lot can be found right next door.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:56 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,466,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Vinings is adjacent to the Cumberland business and retail development area by the NW 75/85 intersection (I've heard it called the Cobb Cloverleaf?), so there isn't as much reason to go downtown for employment or entertainment. A lot can be found right next door.
Yeah, but in all honesty, the same can be said for the Perimeter Center area. They actually have more of everything than Cumberland (with the exception of a performing arts venue).

All of that WITH a single seat ride to Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown and the Airport. I think it makes Perimeter one of undisputed leading edge cities in the country.

It's the largest concentration of office space and white collar jobs between D.C. and Texas (including Florida).

I will add that Cumberland's topography is much better - gorgeous, actually. Probaly the best views in the metro. And with a very promising future (light rail, please).

Old 02-01-2010, 11:06 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,983,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yeah, but in all honesty, the same can be said for the Perimeter Center area. They actually have more of everything than Cumberland (with the exception of a performing arts venue).
I was just attempting to explain how development in Vinings could happen when it "was so far from downtown" and had "no rail service". It doesn't need either one.

I agree that a light rail link would be nice, tho. Especially if it also ran from Cumberland to the Perimeter mall, Marietta, and somewhere closer to my house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or