U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 7,160 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to Atlanta from California after receiving a job offer. I was interested in the ValHi/Druid Hills/CDC/Emory area as I would like to stay intown and will be commuting to Duluth on Satellite Blvd near the Gwinnett Place Mall. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1. Budget - about $1700 or so a mo
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Pref house, as I would want a fenced yard for our dogs. Can't stand condos. Will also consider townhome if it's the right one.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) will be commuting to Duluth
4. Children(public school vs. private) 1 at 1 yo, don't care at the moment. We see ourselves at the current place for the year, until we know the city even better for future homes.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- prefer urban and walk to places
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. As diverse as possible, but low crime for me is the biggest issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 05:05 PM

719 posts, read 1,504,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWays View Post
I'll be relocating to Atlanta from California after receiving a job offer. I was interested in the ValHi/Druid Hills/CDC/Emory area as I would like to stay intown and will be commuting to Duluth on Satellite Blvd near the Gwinnett Place Mall. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1. Budget - about $1700 or so a mo
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Pref house, as I would want a fenced yard for our dogs. Can't stand condos. Will also consider townhome if it's the right one.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) will be commuting to Duluth
4. Children(public school vs. private) 1 at 1 yo, don't care at the moment. We see ourselves at the current place for the year, until we know the city even better for future homes.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- prefer urban and walk to places
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. As diverse as possible, but low crime for me is the biggest issue.
Couple quick questions for you.

Is your budget for rent/mortgage only, or total?
Do you mind renting a house?
What area of California specifically are you moving from? I.e. what are your favorite towns there? (This can be a good indicator of what your preferences will be here.)
And finally, have you ever lived outside CA before or traveled outside it extensively? What's your familiarity with the South? Do you have any familial connections here already for example?

Old 01-19-2010, 05:14 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,834,384 times
I moved here from the Bay Area. I live in Midtown, it is really a like Walnut Creek with highrises and many more restaurants and bars. It is a really nice place to live. Get ready for really humid summers!

Old 01-19-2010, 05:20 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,228,372 times
I'd look in Virginia Highland. Great restaurants, shops, parks...all walkable. You can rent a really cute place for your price and hop on 85 N to get to Duluth. Look on Craigslist. Cross Streets of main area are North Highland and Virginia Avenue.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:00 PM

5 posts, read 7,160 times
Thanks for the info. We are coming from San Francisco proper so am very used to a very urban feel but enjoy all of the beaches and parks that are within a couple miles of our place here. However, we don't like highrises and I feel that's what midtown in known for.
We unfortunately do not have family out there but do have a couple friends in the area. I was on a project in Atlanta for a year when I stayed in the Lenox Park area so am somewhat familiar though that was about 7 years ago and it is very different now since I will have a family and not be on my own.
The budget is just for rent at this point. We want a better feel of everywhere before thinking about buying.
Our current place is an Edwardian about 80 years old but fully renovated in the last 10 years to have all of the modern conveniences of great kitchen/electricity/heating/plumbing but with charm of an old building
I am planning a short trip out there in a couple weeks to basically try to pick out a place before shipping our stuff. Just wanted input to see what areas to concentrate on and try to set appointments before heading out.
Also and somewhat unrelated, is there any off leash dog parks in the area? I think Piedmont Park has one, but if a dog is off leash out of the dog area, do they ticket very heavy for that? And how nice is the Piedmont Park dog area? Thanks

Old 01-19-2010, 06:21 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,880,376 times
You really can't go wrong in any of the areas you've listed. If you can find a house you like at a rent you can afford, you should be good to go.

There are several dog parks in the City of Decatur as well as the Mason Mill Park dog park near Emory.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 PM

719 posts, read 1,504,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWays View Post
Thanks for the info. We are coming from San Francisco proper so am very used to a very urban feel but enjoy all of the beaches and parks that are within a couple miles of our place here. However, we don't like highrises and I feel that's what midtown in known for.
We unfortunately do not have family out there but do have a couple friends in the area. I was on a project in Atlanta for a year when I stayed in the Lenox Park area so am somewhat familiar though that was about 7 years ago and it is very different now since I will have a family and not be on my own.
The budget is just for rent at this point. We want a better feel of everywhere before thinking about buying.
Our current place is an Edwardian about 80 years old but fully renovated in the last 10 years to have all of the modern conveniences of great kitchen/electricity/heating/plumbing but with charm of an old building
I am planning a short trip out there in a couple weeks to basically try to pick out a place before shipping our stuff. Just wanted input to see what areas to concentrate on and try to set appointments before heading out.
Also and somewhat unrelated, is there any off leash dog parks in the area? I think Piedmont Park has one, but if a dog is off leash out of the dog area, do they ticket very heavy for that? And how nice is the Piedmont Park dog area? Thanks
If your rental budget is $1700, then I think you can open up your search to anywhere in the entire Metro. But the most expensive places will be downtown and perhaps Midtown. Very, very smart idea to get to know the place before you think about buying. The living experience you have in metro Atlanta can vary drastically depending on where you live, between in-town and suburb for example.

As for high-rises, both Midtown and Buckhead (Lenox) have a bounty of them, many of them having sprung up in just the last 5-7 years. Amazing how the city skyline has exploded in that time. But that's the case even in the relatively more suburban Perimeter area. I assume you want to avoid them because they indicate greater density and crowding? If that's the case, I wouldn't worry too much. Even at the core, Atlanta's density is much less what you would find in either LA or SF. Good luck.

Last edited by WilliamM; 01-19-2010 at 07:01 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 02:47 PM

927 posts, read 1,951,054 times
Budget-wise for a house, I think you'd get a better deal in Va-Hi than Druid Hills. The homes in Druid Hills are largely estates, so renting a house in that area would be very pricey.

In addition to Va-Hi you should also look into the Morningside area. It's a bit further from nightlife than Va-Hi, but they're neighborhing hoods, so you wouldn't be that far.

A little more on the funkier side is Inman Park. This is actually more convenient to your job (take freedom parkway to the 85, which takes you straight up to Duluth) than anything else in the areas you mentioned. I would also say that, aside from Va-Hi, it's closer to an urban lifestyle than the rest as well. There are numerous restaurants and bars in this area, and Little Five Points is a stone's throw away for shopping and bars. I'm quite sure you can find a nice home on that budget, and you may end up getting a bit more for your money since the other hoods have more of an old money vibe to them. There are zero highrises in Inman Park and, as the name indicates, has a large park at it's core.

Last edited by bizchick86; 01-20-2010 at 02:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta