U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 02:08 PM

8 posts, read 14,124 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently relocated to Knoxville, TN from Arizona and are ready for another change in scenery. My wife's degree dictates where we would be potentially moving to and as a result we have limited our new search to the above locations. In Atlanta it would be in the Emory area, George Mason (Outside of D.C.), UNC Charlotte, Loyola in Chicago and UT Austin. I have been to D.C., though its been awhile and as for the rest, neither of us have visited any of them. I am in the mortgage industry though looking to make a change for obvious reasons so as far as jobs go a strong banking community would be great. We spend alot of time outside and my personal favorite city is Seattle if that gives anybody any particular idea of the direction we are looking. I know this is vague but if anybody has any insight it would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 04:40 PM

719 posts, read 1,503,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj09 View Post
My wife and I recently relocated to Knoxville, TN from Arizona and are ready for another change in scenery. My wife's degree dictates where we would be potentially moving to and as a result we have limited our new search to the above locations. In Atlanta it would be in the Emory area, George Mason (Outside of D.C.), UNC Charlotte, Loyola in Chicago and UT Austin. I have been to D.C., though its been awhile and as for the rest, neither of us have visited any of them. I am in the mortgage industry though looking to make a change for obvious reasons so as far as jobs go a strong banking community would be great. We spend alot of time outside and my personal favorite city is Seattle if that gives anybody any particular idea of the direction we are looking. I know this is vague but if anybody has any insight it would be much appreciated.
Well first off, the city that stands out in your group would probably have to be Chicago, for reasons of climate. That is, since you're from the Southwest. That would be a drastic change for you. But since you say your favorite city is Seattle, that might not be a big problem for you. But Chicago also stands out for another reason, age and size. It's the most established and by far the largest of the ones you mention, which can be good or bad depending on your preferences.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:37 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,225,783 times
Charlotte has a strong banking industry, and, in my option, North Carolina offers a lot in terms of outdoor recreation -- 2 hours or less to mountains, beach, easy access to NYC. I think of it as a more manageable Atlanta.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:00 PM

82 posts, read 287,307 times
Fairfax (GMU) is a pretty pricey area and quite dense. However, there are quite a few parks, some places to hike fairly close depending on the kinds of places you like to go, and the economy is doing fairly well here.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 PM

8 posts, read 14,124 times
Due to my wife's job, housing would be taken care of so at least for the next two years we're not necessarily concerned about cost of living. To be perfectly honest, we're just looking for a change, Knoxville is quite small and seems to function like a town much smaller than it actually is in my opinion. We both really like the South/Southeast so we would potentially like to stay in the area so I really think Charlotte and Atlanta would be our two best choices. As I previously stated we just haven't really been to any of them so we're just looking for positive or negative feedback and we'll just give it a shot. I appreciate you all sharing your two cents and look forward to any thoughts anybody else has.

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:23 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,648,175 times
The only thing that strikes me in your post is enjoying Seattle. If you enjoyed Seattle for the urban vibe and dense compact areas with great neighborhoods with their own character then Chicago wins hands down. If you can take slightly less urban, but a city that is not afraid of character, don't count out Austin. I always liked Austin for its up and coming city vibe meets fresh edgy side, meets Texas spirit thing. Plus I love hot and sunny weather so.... Atlanta and Charlotte are the "safe" bets for banking for sure.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 AM

170 posts, read 699,290 times
I currently live in Atlanta. I've lived in Charlotte for 3 years. I was based in the DC area and the Chicago area for some time and I've been to Austin just in passing (work related). Each of the cities has its pro's and cons and it really depends on what your looking for. After reading and rereading your post, I'd suggest looking into Charlotte for a few reasons. The cost of living factor (you'll get more bang for your buck). The weather (Charlotte has mild winters and gorgeous spring, summer and fall season). Jobs (Charlotte is the Southern Regional banking capital with numerous satelite offices around the city as all jobs relating to banking are not just concentrated in the downtown area skyrise's). Good food choices (excellent grocers that fits all budgets, excellent restaurants). Plenty of activities to do in and around the Charlotte metropolitan area. As for traveling, Charlotte has US Airways as a hub (so you will have tons of direct flights) and it even has your low cost carriers like AirTran and Jetblue. Charlotte does have its crime ridden areas (but what city doesnt.....especially in this economy) but I'm sure two educated people will have no problem running the opposite direction of the crime that may be in certain areas in Charlotte (just dont watch the news as they will paint a picture that all of Charlotte is crime ridden when in fact it is not). Traffic during rush hour is not bad. Depending on what side of town you live on, Charlotte even has a light rail system that runs from the heart of downtown down to the southside of town with plans on expanding.

Chicago would be my second choice (I just cant stand the brutal winter). DC would be my third choice especially if your wanting to experience living in the nations captital coupled with working in a government sector. I'd stay away from Atlanta (too many reasons to name.....its just not what it use to be from back in the early 90's when I first moved here...)

Just my thoughts, I'm sure others will agree and or disagree. Either way it goes, pray about it and let the Lord lead ya (that is IF you believe in the power of prayer.....I dont want to assume).

Old 01-20-2010, 08:50 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,264,777 times
Well I live in the DC area and I"m as familiar with Atlanta from many weekend trips from Columbus, GA (about the size of Knoxville so the equivalent of going to Nashville for the weekend) to party. The DC area on the other hand is a place that both party and live.

I actually lived about 10-15 minutes from George Mason. Fairfax is a nice area I wouldn't call it dense but that's certainly a matter of opinion versus fact. If you can get over the high cost of living then I'd def recommend DC. There's so much to do around here always something going on. Although one could say the same about Chicago and Atlanta.

They're all good choices but from my understanding Charlotte might not be the spot job wise. The banking industry in Charlotte has been dealt a major blow with lots of layoffs. The DC area on the otherhand, particularly the Virginia suburbs, has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. ALthough people are really friendly in Charlotte so if you found something sure why not?

So recommend DC but yeah the housing is very very expensive while Charlotte and Atlanta are extremely affordable. Also DC has the 2nd worst traffic in the country. I just moved from a fairly large spot to a much smaller and older one solely to shorten my commute. What I pay for a room with two other roommates would get me a whole apartment in Charlotte and Atlanta so you def take the good with the bad.

So here are my rankings

DC (low unemployment plenty of govt workers still buying very expensive houses)
Chicago (Don't quote but I don't think Chicago is hurting from the recession as much as the sunbelt particularly in housing. Also big city lifestyle with half the budget of places like LA and NYC)
Atlanta (a great city that stole a piece of my heart but real estate just isn't doing too well here otherwise top choice)
Charlotte (hit the hardest by the recession, otherwise a nice friendly town with the slowest pace of the two)

Either way good luck.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:14 PM

109 posts, read 349,963 times
With housing cost not an option I would pick DC or Chicago if you like Seattle.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:24 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,677,307 times
Also depends on your feelings towards Knoxville. If you dont like the "southern" or "country" feel of Knoxville, but you like the weather, then I would go with Atlanta or Austin. I have been to Charlotte before, and to me it just hasnt shed its "country" feel as much as Atlanta has. In Atlanta, you feel like you are in a major, cosmopolitan, international city, whereas Charlotte still feels a bit poedunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or