U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:33 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,544,597 times

Advertisements

Every single flight I've been on in the last decade has been oversold.

So try this:

Buy tickets for flights at peak travel times. before boarding the crew will ask for volunteers to give up their seats. Immediately rush to the podium and give up your seats. Not only will you get on a later flight for free, but you'll also get a voucher for a future flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:41 PM

538 posts, read 794,423 times
If you are going to use a "buddy pass" be prepared to be very flexible and understand that you could be stuck for hours or even days.....been there done that.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:03 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,544,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
If you are going to use a "buddy pass" be prepared to be very flexible and understand that you could be stuck for hours or even days.....been there done that.
Yup. My dad worked for Delta and we used to fly a lot to visit relatives when I was a kid in the '70s through the '90s. I don't remember ever having been bumped from a flight, and more often than not we got to sit in first class. If we had to sit in coach, the planes they used to fly were L1011s, which were huge and mostly empty, so if we wanted we could have an entire five seat middle section EACH.

Times have changed.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:44 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,905,955 times
Buddy Passes are not 100% free travel - you still pay the taxes and fees related to the ticket which can be as much as $100. Given the unreliability with traveling on a pass you are much safer using the various cheap ticket websites and planning your travel in advance.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,082 times
Default Looking for buddy Pass

Hello,

I am in desperate need of 4 buddy passes. Please email me at [email]budgeting1@aol.com[/email] if you have any you can spare or sell to me. I have used them before and know all the rules.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:24 PM

8,698 posts, read 10,905,048 times
My friend is married to a pilot and uses companion passes. He has access to the internal system that shows what seats are sold, how many standbys there are, etc.

He's a laid back guy and doesn't mind getting stuck at airports or crashing with friends for an extra night. He has access to every lounge in major airports and enough hotel passes to stay at a great hotel free in just about any city.

Still, when he really knows he needs to get somewhere, he often will just buy a ticket. It's the only way to be sure.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:53 AM

188 posts, read 251,892 times
Threads like this are just sad. Imagine if someone posted a thread asking for an employee-rate AT&T iPhone cellphone contract or an employee-discount from Home Depot. The reality is that Delta (and other Atlanta companies like the aforementioned) have a tight lid on employee benefits. This isn't ghetto-istan and you are sorely mistaken if you think you're going to get a "it fell off the truck" deal. If it was as easy as you think it is, all of Atlanta would be flying for free.

Anyone who actually works for an airline isn't going to risk his flight benefits to help some random person out. And, as others have explained, buddy passes are limited in quantity (usually reserved for family and close friends), not free, and enable the user to fly standby on a seat-available basis (in other words, you need to be in close communication with the person who issued you the buddy pass to adjust your reservation as needed so you can actually get to where you want to go).

Is this forum becoming a seedy corner of Craigslist? I hope not. This would be a good time for a moderator to shut this down.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:26 PM

8,698 posts, read 10,905,048 times
I think the OP was asking because back in the pre-9/11 days, you didn't have to be associated with an employee to get last minute deals. Standby tickets were available for anybody with a flexible schedule at discounted rates.

I used to know people who flew standby all the time and they did fly cheap, but often got stuck.

I don't think that system exists anymore for people who don't have airline connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or