U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2010, 09:45 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,125 posts, read 36,372,059 times
Reputation: 15465

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yep...

And many people don't realize how big the gay population is in two key areas: East Point and Northlake
I remember when NAGS was founded years ago by a neighbor in Oak Grove...its membership swelled to over 100 in no time.

NAGS – The Northlake Alliance of Gays, Lesbians, and Straights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2010, 09:47 AM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,188 posts, read 30,745,340 times
Reputation: 5171
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
First person to restore a Victorian in Inman Park? Robert Griggs, an openly gay man (even before it was 'cool'). In 1968, he took a Queen Anne on Euclid Avenue that was divided into 10 'flophouse' apartments and turned it into a showplace. My father initially thought he was mad, but his determination provided the inspiration for many others to come in to the neighborhood.
That house is one of the most photographed homes in Atlanta, too. Amazing place, though I wouldn't want to pay the heating bill for it in the Winter.

Took this one during the Inman Park Arts Festival...



Inman park used to also be known as a "gay" neighborhood, but once the homes started being remodeled and later resold by the gay/lesbians who remodeled them, then more upper-30s to upper-50s aged urban-yuppies started filtering into the area, too. It's a pretty big mix of folks these days (go Granny, go.....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 AM
 
14,385 posts, read 23,061,016 times
Reputation: 5118
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I remember when NAGS was founded years ago by a neighbor in Oak Grove...its membership swelled to over 100 in no time.

NAGS – The Northlake Alliance of Gays, Lesbians, and Straights

Yep! I was going to post that link, but didn't have the time at that moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
 
14,385 posts, read 23,061,016 times
Reputation: 5118
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
That house is one of the most photographed homes in Atlanta, too. Amazing place, though I wouldn't want to pay the heating bill for it in the Winter.

Took this one during the Inman Park Arts Festival...



Inman park used to also be known as a "gay" neighborhood, but once the homes started being remodeled and later resold by the gay/lesbians who remodeled them, then more upper-30s to upper-50s aged urban-yuppies started filtering into the area, too. It's a pretty big mix of folks these days.

A big family neighborhood now as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 10:40 AM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,653 posts, read 19,137,034 times
Reputation: 12145
I like Atlanta. The gay nightlife there is some of the best I've experienced. I live in Massachusetts and have never considered the thought of living in or around Boston because I don't feel it's neccessary and could live anywhere in the state from Western Mass to Cape Cod with relative ease. Vastly different from Georgia. I almost feel Atlanta is a gay epicenter as it draws safety in numbers inside the perimeter in the otherwise gay hostile bible belt outside the perimeter of Atlanta. It's almost like being in West Berlin. I'm sure Savannah has some accomadating areas for gays and hopefully in years ahead the ITP/OTP concept weill be a non existent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 10:46 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,125 posts, read 36,372,059 times
Reputation: 15465
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I like Atlanta. The gay nightlife there is some of the best I've experienced. I live in Massachusetts and have never considered the thought of living in or around Boston because I don't feel it's neccessary and could live anywhere in the state from Western Mass to Cape Cod with relative ease. Vastly different from Georgia. I almost feel Atlanta is a gay epicenter as it draws safety in numbers inside the perimeter in the otherwise gay hostile bible belt outside the perimeter of Atlanta. It's almost like being in West Berlin. I'm sure Savannah has some accomadating areas for gays and hopefully in years ahead the ITP/OTP concept weill be a non existent.
Actually, you would be surprised at how many gays live outside the perimeter these days; fully half of the gay people I know do.
And yes, Savannah is quite accommodating to gays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 11:32 AM
 
Location: ATLANTA
200 posts, read 397,714 times
Reputation: 105
Well the title is descriptive of the Midtown area, however if you were to travel to cities such as San Francisco, New York, Miami, and Chicago, there gay populations (seemingly) thwart those of Atlanta.

Also, outside of Atlanta, there really isn't that much of a presence of gays. And as far as Black gays go, outside of the congregations in Lennox mall and Piedmont Park, the community is virtually non-existant, despite being a "black gay mecca."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,518,978 times
Reputation: 7922
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Actually, you would be surprised at how many gays live outside the perimeter these days; fully half of the gay people I know do.
And yes, Savannah is quite accommodating to gays.
I wish some would move to my OTP neighborhood. We have some houses that could use a renovation and some yards that need manicuring.

Terrible news on the OTP gay front: Stage Door bar in Tucker has closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,036 posts, read 8,265,634 times
Reputation: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
DC does have a huge population of gays...what's interesting to me is how 'suburbanized' the gay community is there...they seem to be well represented everywhere in DC.
Yes and no. I just moved last weekend inside the beltway which is the equivalent of being inside the perimeter from the VA equivalent of Kennesaw and my social life is looking sunnier already. There are definitely more gay folks in the city than the suburbs. At the same time you're very right. Dupont Circle is the equivalent of Midtown and Dupont is way more expensive than Midtown. So while Midtown will have a random cheap apartment building next to a fancy hi-rise its all prohibitively expnesive in Dupont, so folks have to live elsewhere. Also Atlanta has several gay hot spots as mentioned while DC just has one concentrated hot spot. But people will live wherever they can afford to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MJ View Post
YES its extremely gay. i especially love going to lenox and people watch, very interesting. I know D.C. has like an aids plague going on...
I love watching the "kids" at Lenox too.

DC does indeed have the highest HIV rate in the country and I'm not sure why. The poverty that plagues the NE and SE sections of the city probably contributes to it. DC is the land of the haves and have nots and way more segregated than Atlanta. But a real reason why I don't know which isn't good because if we don't know why then its harder to solve problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,036 posts, read 8,265,634 times
Reputation: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytdude View Post
Well the title is descriptive of the Midtown area, however if you were to travel to cities such as San Francisco, New York, Miami, and Chicago, there gay populations (seemingly) thwart those of Atlanta.

Also, outside of Atlanta, there really isn't that much of a presence of gays. And as far as Black gays go, outside of the congregations in Lennox mall and Piedmont Park, the community is virtually non-existant, despite being a "black gay mecca."
Not trying to argue but wasn't all that impressed with San Francisco's scene. Sure its big but what else? New York on the other hand is out of control. Went there for my birthday and their gay pride and one of the best birthdays ever. Miami is a hardcore party town. Had an ex from Miami and bless his heart the concept of last call just went right over his head. No comment about Chicago but hear good things.

Black gay Atlanta is def more spread out but they are there trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top