U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:20 PM

631 posts, read 1,097,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytdude View Post
Well I don't know alot about gay life in Atlanta, but I know as well as most people in Atlanta that Midtown has many gay residence. That doesnt apply for black gay folks..and you know it.
There are black gay residence in Midtown area you forgot Midtown covers more than just the area around piedmont park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 09:25 PM

9 posts, read 26,488 times
Default Gayest city

That is one of the reasons that I moved here. I was coming down from Knoxville about once a month so I could go to The Pharr Library and Backstreet. I was lucky enough to find a job here and have lived here since 1983. Unfortunately, it is not as gay a city as it once was or maybe we are just blending in more rather than sticking out the way we did when we made Midtown a respectable place to live again.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:10 AM

23,125 posts, read 36,356,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dytdude View Post
There are lots of gay black men in Atlanta. But they are not politically or socially active like their white gay counter parts.

For instance, when Bishop Long had his march against same-sex marriage, you would think it would face some opposition from the many gay black folks here but they were silent.

So yes there are alot of gay black people but no "community."
I don't think I would characterize Atlanta's black gay community as 'silent', exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta5-ZesEp8o

Old 01-25-2010, 10:30 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,580,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I don't think I would characterize Atlanta's black gay community as 'silent', exactly.

Three years ago my best friend and I forgot it was black gay pride and went to Lenox for some shopping. Silent is not the word...

Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 PM

631 posts, read 1,097,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

I will add too that we have so many people across the USA who support the black gay communtiy we have had countless black celebrities and artist come out and perform like jennifer hudson, vivica fox, etc. There a very large black gay community here and trust people know that it exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvkS3...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rXxreuo9bg

Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,348,895 times
hey, does anyone know of a club that existed, (maybe it still does) called the Limelight. My co-worker was saying back in the day the main dance floor had a tiger that lived underneath. That about floored me (haha no pun intended for real) when I heard that. He said eventually the Humane Society put an end to that and they installed a swimming pool underneath.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 AM

23,125 posts, read 36,356,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
hey, does anyone know of a club that existed, (maybe it still does) called the Limelight. My co-worker was saying back in the day the main dance floor had a tiger that lived underneath. That about floored me (haha no pun intended for real) when I heard that. He said eventually the Humane Society put an end to that and they installed a swimming pool underneath.
Yes, I do...that was not a gay club, however.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:14 AM

19 posts, read 31,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
Not to change subjects but makes no difference to me what sexuality one chooses to participate in. The major issue we have here in Atlanta is unemployment. The state currently has a 10.2% unemployment rate while the Atlanta proper area (Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, and Rockdale counties) stands at 10.5% (give or take). Why revel in being the number one gayest city and yet still have so many jobless people (which by the way includes the gay population).

I sit and watch the news daily and see people getting off Greyhound buses and trains. These people still think that Atlanta is still the "black" Mecca of yesteryear yet they come off these buses unemployed and stay unemployed. I see people in the business center at my apartment complex frantically searching for jobs and yet all a magazine or news article can do is find the time to print which city is the gayest? Please! Take a look a Willie Watkins Funeral home website. Last year 2009 he had over 700 funerals and this month alone (January) he has over 28 bodies. Half of which are due to violent crimes that have taken place. But you see, newspapers dont want to report about that. Atlanta has some major issues that needs to be rectified and being the top gayest city is NOT or rather SHOULD NOT be on the list to discuss.

If Atlanta wants to revel in being the number 1 gayest city, lets also be the number one place to have the most gainfully employed. Then and only then can I see us discussing how wonderful of a "gay-mecca" Atlanta could be.

Remember, regardless of what sexual preference you prefer, your first HUMAN.
People do not "prefer" a sexual preference, and quite frankly, there are problems with employment everywhere that doesn't mean you have to be single-minded when thinking about urban improvement. Also, the gay community, if it grows, could be a large part of Atlanta's recovery and the growing of jobs.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:19 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,943,247 times
it may be so statistically but you would never know even if you lived there.

ft lauderdale is 10x more visually gay than i see atlanta ever becoming.

same for new orleans.

like with all other things in atl, it goes on behind the scenes, so its not like you will walk down peachtree and come across the rainbow flag flapping in the air, like in so many other places.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,629,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
it may be so statistically but you would never know even if you lived there.

ft lauderdale is 10x more visually gay than i see atlanta ever becoming.

same for new orleans.

like with all other things in atl, it goes on behind the scenes, so its not like you will walk down peachtree and come across the rainbow flag flapping in the air, like in so many other places.
Um...yes, you do. If you don't see obvious indicators of gay life in Atlanta then you're just not looking for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or