Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:34 PM

112 posts, read 363,466 times

Advertisements

Im a bit of a sports nut and considering that I want to move to Atlanta I would like to follow a sport (cause you guys dont have aussie rules) So tell me which sport should I go for? Grid Iron? Basketball? Baseball? Tell me which team should I go for an why? I know that I will have to go to live games because of the atmosphere of each sport and my final decision will probally be once I move. (By the way Im female and cheerleaders dont do it for me ha ha). What are your reasons for your team!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 07:10 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,778 times
Wait, so you don't already have a team? That will make it tough for us to suggest one, since you're a grown woman and all.

I'm a Braves fan by blood (3rd generation on my mom's side).
Packers fan by video game (I started playing Madden '98 and always did the best with Green Bay, so I decided to watch them in real life too ).
Don't really have an NBA team anymore, but I tend to root for the Lakers more often than not.

Prepare yourself for answers as varied as mine.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:20 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,348 times
Umm.. I'd think that ALL of Atlanta teams should be your teams!

Personally, I'm more of a Falcons and Braves gal than a Hawks gal - just not into basketball that much. I've always been an avid football and baseball fan and yes, I still support our teams, no matter their standings!

I will say that any games I've been to, I always see plenty of the opposing teams supporters and fans in the stand, so, I guess, (sigh) you can still root for an opposing team!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,316 times
Braves. But that's just me. I've always like baseball. As a child I lived in NJ, about 45 min from Philly and was a diehard Philly Phanatic (I was also quite a tomboy...). Once I moved down here, at age 10, I reluctantly put aside my Phillies cap for a Braves cap.

This is back in the early 80s, the days of Phil Niekro, Claudell Washington, Bruce Benedict, Biff Pocaroba, Chris Chambliss, Bob Horner, and, of course DALE MURPHY! He actually lived about 5 miles from me.

Then came my all-time fave pitching staff: Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, Steve Avery, Greg Maddux, and of course power players like David Justice, Ron Gant, Andruw Jones and Chipper Jones. And they also provided plenty of scandalous entertainment with Justice's marriage-and divorce- to Halle Berry (the abuse part of course is no joke), and Chipper's love child, and the Strike in...what... 94? Oh, and Neon Deion Sanders, who was both an Atlanta Brave AND an Atlanta Falcon, and just a real personality.

Tommy Glavine is my all time fave, not really sure why. He started out as a hockey player, and has been with the Braves from 87-2003, when he left to play for the **** , but he came back... only to retire.

Still, I love my Braves.

I just could never get into football, unless it's college football, and THEN only if it's AU Football. Basketball does nothing for me.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:40 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coming2america View Post
Im a bit of a sports nut and considering that I want to move to Atlanta I would like to follow a sport (cause you guys dont have aussie rules) So tell me which sport should I go for? Grid Iron? Basketball? Baseball? Tell me which team should I go for an why? I know that I will have to go to live games because of the atmosphere of each sport and my final decision will probally be once I move. (By the way Im female and cheerleaders dont do it for me ha ha). What are your reasons for your team!
Can you watch any live American sports from where you are? That's a pretty good way to get a feel for how each sport works. Note that there are some parallels between our sports and world sports:

Baseball is a strategy game, distantly related to cricket;
(American) Football is a start-and-stop action game, distantly related to rugby and Aussie rules;
Basketball is a one-of-a-kind sport;
Ice hockey is a continuous action game, distantly related to soccer (football).

I think that as you gain exposure to these "big four," and to other minor sports, you'll find which ones you like. Just please, whatever you do, don't watch NASCAR. It really is a bunch of guys driving around in circles.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:55 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,316 times
OMG... hate NASCAR. Good advice. I love Mitch Hedberg's (RIP) bit about Nascar:

“I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide...”

I have a friend in England who follows all the Atlanta teams. I always wondered why, as he doesn't KNOW anyone from here... I guess we're that exciting!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:49 AM

112 posts, read 363,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
It really is a bunch of guys driving around in circles.
Im from Melbourne and we have an unofficial race track every friday and saturday night in a street called Chapel Street where we get young guys in hotted up cars doing "laps" (as oppose to driving in circles) up and down the street!

Oh another question in each of the sports (i.e baseball, basketball and grid iron) is there a team in the comp that everyone loves to hate except the fans themselves? In Aussie rules we have a team called Collingwood which everyone loves to hate except the Collingwood fans themselves. (and no I too hate Collingwood my team is Essendon).

Old 07-29-2010, 09:29 AM

285 posts, read 876,354 times
Don't forget hockey! The Thrashers are pretty terrible, but hockey games are fun.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:01 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,644,578 times
This is my order
1)Braves (a.k.a. the Bravos)
2)Falcons (some people still call them the "Dirty Birds")

3)Atlanta Hawks (this team's starting to pi$$ me off because they're so inept).
4) Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets basketball (they play in the best college basketball conference in the US, the ACC).

Teams that you should dislike as an Atlantan
1)Braves fans shouldn't like the Florida Marlins and the New York Mets (a.k.a. the Mess, a.k.a. the JV Team).
2)Yellow Jacket fans dislike Georgia Bulldogs (these people are loud and obnoxious, just like the SEC)
3)Falcon's fans don't care for the Saints, Panthers, and Tampa Bay.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:18 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Go with the Braves-
They have an Aussie on the team; Peter Moylan (relief pitcher). He's from Perth.

Falcons SUCK!- enough said.

Basketball- organized team sport for convicts, thugs, and uneducated street hoods.

Thrashers- not the best hockey team ever- but, it sure is great to have the sport here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta