U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:55 PM

14,385 posts, read 23,053,917 times

Advertisements

Magazine ranks Atlanta as America's gayest city *| ajc.com

Gayest Cities in America | Destinations | Advocate.com

What do y'all think of this???

*I think it makes Atlanta seem even more progressive and cosmopolitan--which is a wonderful image to have on the international/world stage.

(Think "creative class," "international/national business investment," etc.)

Last edited by aries4118; 01-19-2010 at 09:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 PM

2,298 posts, read 3,656,679 times
If a wonderful image is being the most gay ill sit that one out

Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 PM

259 posts, read 748,256 times
mmm.. Not a huge surprise...They don't call it Gaylanta for nothing.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki9947 View Post
mmm.. Not a huge surprise...They don't call it Gaylanta for nothing.

Gaylanta, gAyTL...

Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 PM

314 posts, read 553,087 times
People who don't like gay people in Atlanta have no idea how much nicer it is now that they're there (more businesses+restaurants, higher property values, less crime, etc).

Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
People who don't like gay people in Atlanta have no idea how much nicer it is now that they're there (more businesses+restaurants, higher property values, less crime, etc).

Gay people have been in intown Atlanta for a very long time.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 PM

314 posts, read 553,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Gay people have been in intown Atlanta for a very long time.

You don't think they've contributed to the improvement of Midtown over time?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:40 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,740,839 times
I think it goes without saying this topic could turn ugly, so just a pre-warning... be nice, folks.

That being said, Atlanta I would think represents an odd ying and yang for the gay community. On one hand, you have an apparent very large gay population here, but on the other, you are still in the middle of the Bible Belt, too. Inside the Perimeter there are established predominately gay neighborhoods (though they're becoming more mixed as younger folks move back intown), yet go to some of the suburbs outside the Perimeter, and you may come across some pretty harsh opinions about gays. So I would think the articles are flawed in that they don't take the entire metro areas or regions into accounts, or look at smaller details such as how the black and white gay communities here based on comments in city-data in the past are very segregated from one another, disorganized, etc.

I do remember though when I came here in the early 1980s to go to school, how the Midtown area still had tons of "slummy" areas within it. It had pawn shops, liquor stores, and bums scattered throughout, and home values were very low overall. The gays were just moving into the area, but within a relatively short amount of time, the entire area was renovated and home prices skyrocketed. The Mayor at the time praised the gay community for doing much of the transformation, too. Coming from a much smaller area, the openness of all of that was surprising - I didn't even think there were that many gays here until then. There was still a stigma attached to it though (hence, "Bible Belt") because when my school work councilor would talk about where to live and where to apply for jobs, they would say things like, "Now, if you move to Midtown just say it's Buckhead, because if you live in Midtown everyone will assume you're gay". That doesn't seem to happen anymore, but in the 80s it was an apparent big deal.

In terms of sheer numbers I guess those articles probably have something right, though.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
You don't think they've contributed to the improvement of Midtown over time?

Yes, of course...

That's why I said they've been in intown Atlanta for a very long time.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I think it goes without saying this topic could turn ugly, so just a pre-warning... be nice, folks.

That being said, Atlanta I would think represents an odd ying and yang for the gay community. On one hand, you have an apparent very large gay population here, but on the other, you are still in the middle of the Bible Belt, too. Inside the Perimeter there are established predominately gay neighborhoods (though they're becoming more mixed as younger folks move back intown), yet go to some of the suburbs outside the Perimeter, and you may come across some pretty harsh opinions about gays. So I would think the articles are flawed in that they don't take the entire metro areas or regions into accounts, or look at smaller details such as how the black and white gay communities here based on comments in city-data in the past are very segregated from one another, disorganized, etc.

I do remember though when I came here in the early 1980s to go to school, how the Midtown area still had tons of "slummy" areas within it. It had pawn shops, liquor stores, and bums scattered throughout, and home values were very low overall. The gays were just moving into the area, but within a relatively short amount of time, the entire area was renovated and home prices skyrocketed. The Mayor at the time praised the gay community for doing much of the transformation, too. Coming from a much smaller area, the openness of all of that was surprising - I didn't even think there were that many gays here until then. There was still a stigma attached to it though (hence, "Bible Belt") because when my school work councilor would talk about where to live and where to apply for jobs, they would say things like, "Now, if you move to Midtown just say it's Buckhead, because if you live in Midtown everyone will assume you're gay". That doesn't seem to happen anymore, but in the 80s it was an apparent big deal.

In terms of sheer numbers I guess those articles probably have something right, though.

One thing to remember too, is how "gay" many, if not most, inner Atlanta suburbs are: Northlake, North Druid Hills, North Decatur, Decatur, Avondale Estates, Belvedere/Midway Woods, East Point, College Park, Chamblee, Doraville.

Another ring of suburbs also have large, growing gay populations--these areas are becoming very popular and on the radar: Tucker, Stone Mountain, Clarkston, Gresham Park, Pine Lake (already a large lesbian population).

And...one can really find many gays throughout metro Atlanta, especially in single/young professional-oriented suburban areas: Vinings/Smyrna/Cumberland, Perimeter/Dunwoody/Sandy Springs, parts of Roswell/Alpharetta, Norcross/Peachtree Corners/Duluth/Gwinnett Place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or