Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 7,900 times

Advertisements

I moved to Georgia in year 2009 from Michigan state. I have Georgia Driving licence and Georgia insurance now but I am driving my car with Michigan registration and title. Now in Feb 2010 my MI title is going to expire. I renewed my car title and regisration from DMV Michigan website online. Is it legal to drive a car in Georgia with Michigan registration title for next one year??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:22 AM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,347,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin12 View Post
I moved to Georgia in year 2009 from Michigan state. I have Georgia Driving licence and Georgia insurance now but I am driving my car with Michigan registration and title. Now in Feb 2010 my MI title is going to expire. I renewed my car title and regisration from DMV Michigan website online. Is it legal to drive a car in Georgia with Michigan registration title for next one year??
YES!!!! you have 30 days after becoming a resident to change that over why would you renew it in MI when you live here and could have just as easily registered it here.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:02 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,266,597 times
I believe the big "YES" in the post above is based on a mis-read of the word "legal" in your post. You have 30 days to register your car in GA after moving here, so you run the risk of getting a ticket for improper registration now that you re-registered in MI. You should have saved that $$$ and just gotten the car registered here.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,204,786 times
I'm doing the same thing. When I moved just left everything at my parent's address. Make sure you tell your insurance company where you have your car "garaged" but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it especially since you already did it, just register in Georgia next year.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:04 PM

245 posts, read 649,732 times
I kept my out-of-state vehicle registration/title for probably 6 months or so after I moved here (waited until the tag expired) and my license for about 8-9 months. As long as you don't get pulled over in Georgia, you're fine.

Keeping my old license for so long actually worked to my advantage when I got a ticket in South Carolina. They won't allow you to take driving classes or anything -- you get a ticket in SC, it's points on your record. And Georgia, South Carolina, and my old state all had reciprocity agreements for driving records. I got pulled over in SC while I resided in Georgia, had a license from my old state, and was driving a rental car from Georgia. This was back in 2003 when all the states were having major budget difficulties and slashing departments. So I used that to my advantage, figuring things might get overlooked. After I found out I was definitely going to get points on my record, I immediately got my Georgia license. They confiscated my old state's license and were supposed to send it to my old state and get any records transferred. So then SC sent the notice of my violation to my old state shortly after they had gotten my old license back. Fortunately they apparently tossed it instead of transferring notice to Georgia, so my driving record remained clean.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,399 times
Default Ad valorem tax is a nightmare

To register my new car in MI or GA...? That is the question. I'm a GA resident but I'm contemplating registering my next vehicle in MI @ my parent's house to avoid paying GA's ad valorem tax. I've changed over a few bills in my name to their address in case I decide to go this route.

A few questions though:
1) How does the government know where you actually reside? What form of verification is the determining factor?
2) I don't want to risk being called to repay my first-time home buyer loan (GA) if they find out I have a MI driver's license. EEKKKKK!!! But double taxation is really starting to get to me. I think about paying $275/yr for the next few years for a $20k vehicle and I get so mad. I really need to find a way around this madness.
3) If I registered my vehicle in MI, got a MI DL, and insurance...is there any way for them to find out? If I got pulled over here in GA, I could always say I was in town visiting.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:45 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,746,330 times
The government knows where you reside based on how you file your taxes.

Georgia law requires you to transfer your Driver's License to GA within 30 days within 30 days of establishing residences. If you have a GA first-time home buyer loan I assume you signed something declaring yourself as a Georgia resident.

The odds of you getting caught are probably low but if that were to occur - it sounds to me that you will have a hard time proving otherwise. Where you bills get mailed will do nothing as to protecting yourself.

There have been proposals to elimiate the ad valorem tax - not sure of the status.

My opinion - if you are a resident you should pay the same tax that the rest of us are paying.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 PM

42 posts, read 179,176 times
I did it for many months after moving to GA since its cheaper to and way easier to renew registration online (Ohio). I know i ran the risk of getting pulled over but the convenience of it was too tempting.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,462,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana Lane View Post
To register my new car in MI or GA...? That is the question. I'm a GA resident but I'm contemplating registering my next vehicle in MI @ my parent's house to avoid paying GA's ad valorem tax. I've changed over a few bills in my name to their address in case I decide to go this route.

A few questions though:
1) How does the government know where you actually reside? What form of verification is the determining factor?
2) I don't want to risk being called to repay my first-time home buyer loan (GA) if they find out I have a MI driver's license. EEKKKKK!!! But double taxation is really starting to get to me. I think about paying $275/yr for the next few years for a $20k vehicle and I get so mad. I really need to find a way around this madness.
3) If I registered my vehicle in MI, got a MI DL, and insurance...is there any way for them to find out? If I got pulled over here in GA, I could always say I was in town visiting.
your w4 will tell the government where you work. MI to GA is a long commute

if you were to use a MI DL, registration and insurance, and were involved in a accident, or even worse, a deadly accident, you can risk loosing your GA house because of no insurance protection. (They can drop you if falsify your policy info such as where you live and drive)!

If you just get pulled over, they would not really know that you are living here. If they had a reason to dig deeper, they can, but for a simple traffic violation, you would be fine.

Just pay to register it here. You have to much now to loose to justify saving a few hundred dollars. I use to be the same way until I bought a home, developed savings accounts, and all that fun growing old stuff. Protect it by doing it right now.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:44 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,866,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
your w4 will tell the government where you work. MI to GA is a long commute

if you were to use a MI DL, registration and insurance, and were involved in a accident, or even worse, a deadly accident, you can risk loosing your GA house because of no insurance protection. (They can drop you if falsify your policy info such as where you live and drive)!

If you just get pulled over, they would not really know that you are living here. If they had a reason to dig deeper, they can, but for a simple traffic violation, you would be fine.

Just pay to register it here. You have to much now to loose to justify saving a few hundred dollars. I use to be the same way until I bought a home, developed savings accounts, and all that fun growing old stuff. Protect it by doing it right now.
The highlighted part is really the critical stuff. It's just stupid to risk this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta