U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:10 AM

55 posts, read 68,441 times

Advertisements

My family and would like to relocate in GA. We are coming from NY. I want to move somewhere in the suburbs. I been doing my research on Lawrenceville and Roswell. I have small kids and my daughter who is in E.S. so I consider moving into neighborhood where they have great schools. And also if there any activities for my kids. We are trying to rent for the moment and if we like it we going to buy a house.Please give me any type of information you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:16 AM

21 posts, read 61,742 times
I would look in Cobb County. It's a good communter county (right outside the I-285 perimeter highway and along I-75) and has the best schools in the state.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigs View Post
I would look in Cobb County. It's a good communter county (right outside the I-285 perimeter highway and along I-75) and has the best schools in the state.
How far is Cobb County to Atlanta and what wrong with Roswell and the other one.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:47 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,983,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLifeStyle View Post
How far is Cobb County to Atlanta and what wrong with Roswell and the other one.
The City of Atlanta is located (or is mostly located) in Fulton County. I don't know if there is any spillover into other counties.

Cobb County is right next to Fulton County on the western side and houses roughly 700,000 people. The county is almost all suburban, but like the rest of the Atlanta metro, most of it is not formally incorporated (it's organized into various regious and subdivisions). Unlike most states, the county level of government essentially acts like a "city" in parts of Georgia, especially in the Atlanta metro, and the county provides most of the community services for unincorporated areas including police and fire support, water/sewer services, etc.

Formally incorporated cities located in Cobb County include Marietta, Smyrna, Austell, Kennesaw, and Acworth.

A few of the more well-known unincorporated regions in Cobb County include East Cobb, Cumberland, Vinings, and Mableton.

You can learn about the above areas by searching for them here in City-Data. Vinings and East Cobb are generally considered to be very good areas for certain types of people (East Cobb for rich folks who "want the best schools", and Vinings for singles). I happen to think Smyrna and Mableton are very good places, but that's because my life in Atlanta centers around those areas.

Atlanta Metro County Map | Information by County

Old 01-21-2010, 12:18 PM

13,391 posts, read 21,598,121 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with Roswell (No. Fulton) or the area in general.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 5,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
As an Atlanta native and having lived in almost all the aforementioned areas at one time or another, I'd direct you toward either East Cobb (Try for Walton or Pope High School district) or John's Creek. Both are fantastic places to raise children. 99% of Walton High School graduates go on to college, with a not-insignificant percentage of those heading out to Ivy League and top tier schools.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Do they have good schools. If my husband gets a job out there he will be working inthe Atlanta area. So I would like to knoe how far is Atlanta?

Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Do they have good schools. If my husband gets a job out there he will be working inthe Atlanta area. So I would like to knoe how far is Atlanta?
The route from Roswell (GA-400) to Atlanta is susceptible to traffic, but disregarding that, it's about a 20 minute drive to Midtown/Downtown. Roswell has a large latin and black population. Police presence is high and as a result, crime is kept relatively low. The schools are by no means bad, but are not in the same class as those in the areas I previously mentioned.

I highly recommend looking into the John's Creek area. Northview High School opened its doors in 2002 and is well on its way to becoming one of the more reputable public schools in the state. John's Creek itself just incorporated in 2006 and the area is growing rapidly. There are great housing bargains too. Up until last year, I was living in a 4-bedroom house that was built in the late '90s for $1200 a month. Commute from John's Creek to Atlanta is ~30-40 minutes, but well worth it.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:55 PM

997 posts, read 4,311,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviolinh View Post
As an Atlanta native and having lived in almost all the aforementioned areas at one time or another, I'd direct you toward either East Cobb (Try for Walton or Pope High School district) or John's Creek. Both are fantastic places to raise children. 99% of Walton High School graduates go on to college, with a not-insignificant percentage of those heading out to Ivy League and top tier schools.
I would agree that East Cobb, Johns Creek, Alpharetta or Milton have great schools. There is nothing wrong with Roswell as Mattie stated. It is very nice. They have some good schools. I just think the others are a little better. I would stay to the East side of 400 in Roswell. There is also an area off 92 with a Roswell address that is nice but I think the commute from the other end would be much better. Also Sandy Springs is a good choice for commuting into Atl.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
I would agree that East Cobb, Johns Creek, Alpharetta or Milton have great schools. There is nothing wrong with Roswell as Mattie stated. It is very nice. They have some good schools. I just think the others are a little better. I would stay to the East side of 400 in Roswell. There is also an area off 92 with a Roswell address that is nice but I think the commute from the other end would be much better. Also Sandy Springs is a good choice for commuting into Atl.
Agreed. Although, with small children, Sandy Springs might not be the most ideal choice. You get a LOT more room and quality for your money heading north of Sandy Springs. Sandy Springs is an older part of town than the others, and you'll be paying a premium for the location. Take a visit to Johns Creek and you'll immediately understand why I am supportive of it. It is simply an impressive community. I simply can't think of a better places to raise children in the state of Georgia than East Cobb, Johns Creek, Alpharetta, and Milton... They're all relatively quiet suburbs with highway access and gorgeous suburban neighborhoods that you don't have to think twice about letting your kids romp and roam around in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta