Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I was trying to point out sarcastically how stupid the white-only idea was!

I appologize to any racists that I might have offended.

The league is inappropriate!
We're on the same page...I was calling my own comment inappropriate - sarcastically, of course.

Yes, this league would be inappropriate.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:54 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
We're on the same page...I was calling my own comment inappropriate - sarcastically, of course.

Yes, this league would be inappropriate.
Thanks! I was surprised to think that someone may have taken my post seriously.

I couldn't even join the league even though I'm short and can't dunk. What's up with that?

Old 01-21-2010, 04:59 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
there are no black-only colleges

there are Historically black colleges and universities that were created during Jim Crow segregation, so blacks can get Higher education. Not only now but whites were all way welcome to go to a HBCU. Most HBCU remain predominantly black but a few HBCUs like West Virginia State Universityare predominantly white. Their name reference there history and they're call black collages for short. So what's wrong The HBCU football hall of fame being based in Atlanta again? Next time look stuff up before commenting something like that.

Historically black colleges and universities

List of historically black colleges and universities

Your the same guy who said there was a "Black agenda" something I'm still waiting for you to tell me what all blacks agree on? what is the "Black agenda"? and do this hasty generalization only applies to blacks or you believe every racial background has this collective "agenda"?

Great, smart post!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:11 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,100 times
It apears that they are trying to call attention to what some see as racist based or race specific behaviour. They alluded to the actions and behaviour of the balck players, carrying guns, gestures, etc. Now I'm sure some one will snap real quick and say that anyone can do the same things regardless of race, which is true. But let's not overlook the obvious. There are stereotypes at work here that are created by the races involved. The perception is that blacks will "act black," meaning doing the things they are mentioning. Again, anyone can do thiese things and people of all races do these things. But that movie "Crash" illustrated this point very well. The media, movies, TV and music have exploited this stuff and caused this polarized perception to the point that anyone who tries to avoid getting pigeon holed will surely loose.

Last edited by axemanjoe; 01-21-2010 at 05:28 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 05:26 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
there are no black-only colleges

there are Historically black colleges and universities that were created during Jim Crow segregation, so blacks can get Higher education. Not only now but whites were all way welcome to go to a HBCU. Most HBCU remain predominantly black but a few HBCUs like West Virginia State Universityare predominantly white. Their name reference there history and they're call black collages for short. So what's wrong The HBCU football hall of fame being based in Atlanta again? Next time look stuff up before commenting something like that.

Historically black colleges and universities

List of historically black colleges and universities

Your the same guy who said there was a "Black agenda" something I'm still waiting for you to tell me what all blacks agree on? what is the "Black agenda"? and do this hasty generalization only applies to blacks or you believe every racial background has this collective "agenda"?
This may be a hard concept for you to get, but when you are commenting on things posted in the Atlanta forum, it might be helpful to know about things that are actually going on in Atlanta:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s.../daily108.html

If the hall was dedicated to HBCU students of all races, then would'nt the official name be the HBCU Football Hall of Fame?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:32 PM

180 posts, read 188,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
This may be a hard concept for you to get, but when you are commenting on things posted in the Atlanta forum, it might be helpful to know about things that are actually going on in Atlanta:

Plans for Black College Football Hall of Fame announced - Atlanta Business Chronicle:

If the hall was dedicated to HBCU students of all races, then would'nt the official name be the HBCU Football Hall of Fame?
You're uninformed.

"The Hall of Fame will honor the greatest football players and coaches at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). "

http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story...storyid=136038

The terms "Black College" and HBCU are pretty much interchangeable. You should exit before you make yourself look even more ignorant.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:44 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
or just a chance to dumb down the competition so average white guys can play ball?
Why not? After all, alot of other things in our society and culture have been dumbed down to accomodate.. umm.. certain other groups.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:48 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post

Plans for Black College Football Hall of Fame announced - Atlanta Business Chronicle:

On that note it would seem that their all white league is certainly in order and justified.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
On that note it would seem that their all white league is certainly in order and justified.
Sure...because white people have been persecuted and enslaved in the U.S. and should receive recognition because of it?

The NBA is open to anyone with the skills and talent required to compete in it. So are several other lesser professional, semi-professional, and amateur basketball leagues. There is no need to make something of this nature race-exclusive.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:58 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
i know you're being funny, but seriously...this douche has every right to create an all white basketball league if he chooses to...
Not exactly. If the league and/or its member franchises are a covered employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, then such discrimination would be unlawful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta