U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 01:21 PM

70 posts, read 277,387 times

Advertisements

I've posted a thread to this forum a week ago. I start my new job on 2/8. This will be a very quick (and stressful) transition for me. My prayers are that my 4 year twin boys will be able to get into Phoenix School or College Heights Fall 2010. In the meantime, I need childcare!

I hate to remove them from their current school in the middle of a semester but a new, higher paying job is calling and I cannot turn this down. I've been praying for this opportunity for so long.

Can anyone suggest childcare in the 30033 area or where is a good place for me to research childcare in the area?? I'm working near Swanton Dr. Feel free to DM me if you have personal referrals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 05:57 PM

No one??

Old 01-21-2010, 07:04 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,629,172 times
Have you researched the major chains - Kids R Kids, Primrose, etc.? How far from work do you intend to live?

Not sure about your location specifically, but parents tend to take kids out of daycare in a recessionary environment, so depending on area hopefully you will be able to get your kids into a good daycare.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,275,277 times
http://decal.ga.gov/

This is a pretty comprehensive website.

Remember to get into the programs that you mentioned next year you must live in the City limits of Decatur.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:20 PM

4 posts, read 10,099 times
Well it sounds like you might be looking for something of a higher quality than my son's daycare, but it wouldn't hurt to recommend it. I'm not in love with it, but I absolutely feel safe dropping him off there everyday and there's not much more you can ask for, especially on my budget. He's learned a lot there and it's quite a diverse place. All in all, even if you're looking for something more of a school than daycare, this may get you by in the meantime. It's ABC Early Learning Academy at 404-541-0700. It's closer to midtown Atlanta, but I used to live in Decatur when he started there. Not a bad drive for Atlanta traffic.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 PM

102 posts, read 355,004 times
It sounds like you will be living in 30033 but will work in downtown Decatur. I'm unfamiliar with 30033, but here's what I know of in City of Decatur that might have a spot. Lastminute is right about College Heights.. you have to live in Decatur or work for the school system to get in.. even then.. it's a lottery. I don't think the Phoenix School requires you to live in Decatur, but they have a waiting list a mile long.

There is a small daycare on Sycamore Drive in Decatur. I had two neighbors a few years ago whom I considered picky, and they liked it a lot. They liked that it was small, and they felt that their children got a lot of attention. Here is the contact info......Suburban Nursery School, 853 Sycamore Drive, Decatur, GA 30030 (404) 373-0085‎.

There is also the Sunshine House - 460 Winn Way Decatur, GA 30030-1715 - (404) 501-5659. It is right near DeKalb Medical Center, but isn't too far from downtown Decatur. I haven't heard anyone rave about this center, but I've never heard anything bad about it either, and I've known a couple of folks who used it.

Closer to downtown Decatur is First Baptist Church of Decatur Child Development Center, 308 Clairemont Avenue, Decatur, GA 30030, (404) 370-7685. I know a lot of families who have used this center and have been very happy with it. They also offer aftercare to school aged kids.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:05 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,877,520 times
You know Georgia has a free pre-k program for 4 year olds, right? Frequently the slots are already full, and I don't know what the deal is with coming in during the middle of the school year, but according to the state's Bright Start web site, there are still openings in several of the elementary schools in 30033 (which, of course, is not City of Decatur).

Old 01-22-2010, 02:55 PM

Thanks for all of the information. It is going to be hard with it being the middle of the school year. I meant 30030 zip code. I'm going into this so blind. I don't know a thing about Decatur. Is it even a safe place to live. What area is close by that I should also consider?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:10 PM

4 posts, read 10,099 times
Decatur is nice ... parts of it.

We had a terrible time looking for places in Decatur because it goes from bad to good in no time.
And there are some really iffy parts that get pretty far from the city. If you are working near downtown, I would try to stay as close to downtown decatur as possible.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,877,520 times
The City of Decatur (30030) is delightful -- very much the small, slightly funky, college town with concerts on the square, lots of neighborhood parks, excellent city services, great school system. It is also, unfortunately, quite pricey. The 30033 zip code (North Decatur -- part of unincorporated DeKalb county) is also nice. It's located between the City of Decatur and Emory University and a lot of University people live in this part of town. Homes in this area are most typically brick ranches built in the 1950s along with some 1960s/1970s eclectic neighborhoods as well as some newer areas. Parts of 30033 are also very expensive (particularly the Oak Grove area -- home prices up to $1 million) but there are areas that are very reasonable (for instance, I know of a 3 BR/1 BA brick ranch near Medlock Park for $200k). The schools in DeKalb are not generally considered as good as the ones in City of Decatur, but for pre-k and kindergarten, in particular, I doubt there's much difference. Also, if you can find I place, I don't believe there's any requirement that your kids go to pre-k at the school to which they would be assigned if they were in 1st grade, so if you can find an open spot (or 2 open spots in your case), I think you can put them in any public pre-k.

I'm a native of this part of town. Please feel free to DM me if you have any questions regarding homes or neighborhoods.

Best of luck!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta