Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 PM

28 posts, read 89,153 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Here is my situation. My company has asked my family to relocate to the Atlanta area (office in Buckhead) from Indianapolis, IN. My wife is a school teacher with 10 years of experience. We have one child and another on the way.

So what does everyone think of Peachtree City? My wife and I like the idea of good schools and friendly people. What is the likelyhood my wife could get a full time teaching gig over the next few years?

We are planning to spend a few days in October in Peachtree City. We plan on renting a golf cart and driving around and getting a feel for the place. Where should we go to get a good feel for Peachtree City. Parks, food, FRED, etc?

I just want to make the most of our time there, because if the wife hates it, then we hate it. Any information you could provide to help with the visit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 04:17 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
I think (and others can comment more accurately) that Peachtree City is a fair distance from Atlanta.

I feel like a broken record, but does your wife want to teach? If so, you need to know that the job market for teachers is dicey right now.

I am giving this a bump up so the P'tree City experts can comment on the commute.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:59 AM

My wife is planning to take a couple of years off with the birth of our new child, but wants the option to go back to teaching in a couple of years.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:38 AM

371 posts, read 1,554,996 times
Are you seriously considering giving yourself a commute between Peachtree City and Buckhead? I hope you like spending time in the car because between the commute there and commute back you can expect to spend 4 hours a day in it.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:44 AM

150 posts, read 369,709 times
I think a lot of folks would recommend that you look in the nice suburbs north and northwest of the city. As a family with kids, we're hearing it over and over, but our commute is the other direction so it won't work.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:56 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,514 times
Even if you had no traffic the commute would be nearly an hour. With traffic, you would be doubling that. It's a great community, it's just going to up to you on how much you love it.
Also, I know that right now the teaching workplace is touch and go. Fayette County schools, where PTC is located has layed off some teachers I believe. I would think that in a few years that it will have turned around, but I don't know that for sure.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:56 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Yeah, don't do it. That would be an absolutely HELLISH commute.

Look North. There are similar areas (without the golf carts) all over the Northern Metro.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I should have added that I will be flying out of Hartfield on a near weekly basis and will likely only work in Buckhead 3 out of the 5 days. If I leave PTC at 6:00 AM, does that not buy me some time to beat incoming traffic from the South?

Just asking, as I see it all traffic in Atlanta blows. If I choose the North side, I deal with the same thing when I go to Hartsfield. We are also going to look in Smyrna and Powder Springs, but I have a feeling PTC will be home. I'm not buying the 4 hours in the car from PTC to Buckhead, unless you leave at 7:30 from PTC and 5 in Buckhead.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:09 AM

150 posts, read 369,709 times
Get yourself a really sweet set of wheels! :-)

Old 09-04-2009, 10:10 AM

82 posts, read 335,403 times
I'd look in the northern suburbs within a reasonable drive to the MARTA. You'd have an easier commute to your Buckhead office and taking MARTA to the airport is a snap. You could walk/get dropped off at the MARTA station or park at selected stations for free 1st day or $7/day for overnights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta