U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-23-2010, 02:05 PM
 
73 posts, read 144,723 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

Folks,

I am in a bind. I have 2 job offers, both comparable: one in Riverdale/Stockbridge, GA area and the other is in Chesterfield/Midlothian,VA(Richmond,VA) area.

I am leaning towards the 1st one but the area schools, amenities and some area 'ghettos' are making it very confusing. Pros for the area: closer to ATL and airport. Good job growth potential. If someone could guide me about a nice area within a 30 minute drive from there with great schools, lots of cultural activities and other fun stuff to do, it will help alleviate my confusion. I am willing to commute if the quality of life is great.

-Henry County,GA has been the backwater of the Atlanta suburbia but I want to hear from people who work there and have first hand experience. It was expected to grow but with the economic downturn all things have come to a screeching halt. I would love to hear in particular from people who work there but commute from other towns/cities.

Any info, help, ideas etc would be greatly appreciated.

Waiting in earnest.

Last edited by confusedprotoplasm; 01-23-2010 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2010, 05:49 PM
 
4 posts, read 8,912 times
Reputation: 10
It depends whether the job is in Riverdale or Stockbridge. They are not right next to each other.

If it is in Stockbridge, then I would look in the McDonough area.

If it is in Riverdale, then I would look in South or West Fayette area. The cities of south Fayetteville, Tyrone, or Peachtree City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2010, 10:01 PM
 
14,408 posts, read 23,081,990 times
Reputation: 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0812 View Post
It depends whether the job is in Riverdale or Stockbridge. They are not right next to each other.

If it is in Stockbridge, then I would look in the McDonough area.

If it is in Riverdale, then I would look in South or West Fayette area. The cities of south Fayetteville, Tyrone, or Peachtree City.

Yep, definitely go with jp0812 said. Just to add, if the job is in Stockbridge also look in the Locust Grove and Ola areas of Henry County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 07:16 AM
 
73 posts, read 144,723 times
Reputation: 38
Thanks for your responses guys. I was thinking about cities closer to Atlanta. I moved to a small town GA from Miami, FL and now am looking forward to move to a bigger city as small town life didn't suit my family for religious and cultural reasons more than anything. Peachtree City from what I have heard is great (one of CNN Money Best Cities) but a haul from both the cities (most of my work will be in Riverdale though). It may seem annoying for some people reading these posts to see the same redundant questions but theres nothing more helpful than talking to people who live in the area about their perspectives and experiences,good or bad. Once again, aries4118 and jp0812 you have my gratitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 08:46 AM
 
705 posts, read 966,387 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedprotoplasm View Post
Folks,

I am in a bind. I have 2 job offers, both comparable: one in Riverdale/Stockbridge, GA area and the other is in Chesterfield/Midlothian,VA(Richmond,VA) area.

I am leaning towards the 1st one but the area schools, amenities and some area 'ghettos' are making it very confusing. Pros for the area: closer to ATL and airport. Good job growth potential. If someone could guide me about a nice area within a 30 minute drive from there with great schools, lots of cultural activities and other fun stuff to do, it will help alleviate my confusion. I am willing to commute if the quality of life is great.

-Henry County,GA has been the backwater of the Atlanta suburbia but I want to hear from people who work there and have first hand experience. It was expected to grow but with the economic downturn all things have come to a screeching halt. I would love to hear in particular from people who work there but commute from other towns/cities.

Any info, help, ideas etc would be greatly appreciated.

Waiting in earnest.
Henry County is turning into a clone of Clayton/DeKalb, I know because of my job and position there. Stockbridge has turned into a cesspool. If you want to live there go for the south east end, definitely on the east side of I-75. Douglas, Coweta, Fayette, Newton, Hall are better choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 06:45 PM
 
14,408 posts, read 23,081,990 times
Reputation: 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedprotoplasm View Post
Thanks for your responses guys. I was thinking about cities closer to Atlanta. I moved to a small town GA from Miami, FL and now am looking forward to move to a bigger city as small town life didn't suit my family for religious and cultural reasons more than anything. Peachtree City from what I have heard is great (one of CNN Money Best Cities) but a haul from both the cities (most of my work will be in Riverdale though). It may seem annoying for some people reading these posts to see the same redundant questions but theres nothing more helpful than talking to people who live in the area about their perspectives and experiences,good or bad. Once again, aries4118 and jp0812 you have my gratitude.
Well, are suggestions are not really "small towns," but are major suburban parts of the Metro Atlanta area.

However, I do have better suggestions for you considering the additional criteria you listed in your second post:




Based on where you will be working (on the Southside of Metro Atlanta)and your other criteria, I think you should definitely consider these areas:


1. Historic Downtown College Park
2. Historic Downtown East Point
3. City of Hapeville

(all areas are close to Riverdale or Stockbridge, they are south of Downtown near the airport, they would give you an easy commute to your place of work, and they all have a nice, in-town, Southern-urban vibe. Closer to your job without sacrificing the lifestyle you desire.)


All three areas offer cute/nice main streets, thriving/vibrant/improving downtown and historic districts, and quality housing.

*Note: For College Park and East Point I said "Historic Downtown" for a reason. Though other parts of both cities are very nice, many areas are still hit and miss. It's important for you to know this. If you someone will be assisting you, don't just say interested in "College Park" or "East Point"...you have to be specific to which parts (historic downtown!). For Hapeville, all of the city will suffice.


I hope this helps. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 09:52 PM
 
73 posts, read 144,723 times
Reputation: 38
Aries4118,
You are a life saver! I ll definitely look into these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2010, 03:13 PM
 
14,408 posts, read 23,081,990 times
Reputation: 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedprotoplasm View Post
Aries4118,
You are a life saver! I ll definitely look into these areas.

Glad to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top