U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:58 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,179,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
What I see in both places in not money spent on educating nor the educators in the pits but money spent on nonsense and cronies, in Jersey's case the all powerful union. Johnny can't read but Johnny can play ball. I am still amazed that the Mill Creek district built a "Ball Field" that would make the Falcons training camp look like a little league park. Each time you pick up the paper it is not to read one article about academic accomplishment, well, there are never any posted all ignored, but you can read about "ball" Going back a few decades I remember when schools had Baseball, Football, and Basketball. Some had Girls Softball. All low key, low budget, but fun. Kids had to earn great grades to play or be removed. Today? Geez, we spend thousands per district on "ball" and not only do we have what is listed above but now we have Golf, Tennis, Lacrosse, Girls, Boys, Co-Ed, Top of the line fields, gyms, and the darn uniforms and equipment paid by parents and taxpayers! Enough again to make the NFL look cheap. These are kids for crap sakes!
You have a point about the priorities of many parents and others, but I think you may be misinformed about the source of funds. I was talking with a Kell H.S. parent who mentioned that Cobb County doesn't fund football stadiums. When Kell was built in recent years, the well-appointed stadium was paid for by corporate sponsorship and a large loan taken out by the booster club. It would be nice if the public at large was as dedicated to academics as to football. However, if we're not taxing people to pay for football, then if they want to spend money on it, well, this is a free country, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 01:37 PM

45 posts, read 196,374 times
LOL....the flat screens are a joke! We have a huge one in our lobby as well and all it does show the same parent information that is on the website.

Yet, we have to pay for our own ink in our printers- no money for that.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:06 PM

199 posts, read 567,132 times
there are way to many useless people in the central offices!!

Old 01-24-2010, 04:07 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,519,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
You have a point about the priorities of many parents and others, but I think you may be misinformed about the source of funds. I was talking with a Kell H.S. parent who mentioned that Cobb County doesn't fund football stadiums. When Kell was built in recent years, the well-appointed stadium was paid for by corporate sponsorship and a large loan taken out by the booster club. It would be nice if the public at large was as dedicated to academics as to football. However, if we're not taxing people to pay for football, then if they want to spend money on it, well, this is a free country, right?
I was referring to Gwinnett, also if the stadium is on school property who bought the excess property? The Taxpayer.
If the county is not funding the never ending growing sports programs then sure, I of all people have no issue in what they do with their dollars as it is a free country, for now anyway.

With this said Rainy, (good name for today) the main item I was focusing on was the amount of dollars on all programs. We now have every sport one can think of in our public school systems including golf. (Sorry, Golf IS NOT a sport) Basically, we seem to have massive Taj Mahal's instead of centers for learning, for example flat screen TV's. As with anything the government takes control of, within a few decades or less it turns into a failing, bumbling, beaucracy. Which makes one have an idea. If football is privately funded and works very well from what we all see, and if you are correct in that account, then maybe we should go back and desolve the Department of Education and return to a public/private sector school system as before, when massive deficits did not exist and kids actually learned the basic needs of reading, writing, and mathmatics. Now that would be a great example of a free country.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,149 times
Well, I hope GA doesn't create public service winners at industry and labor participant expense.
Public servants are subject to the same bureaucratic machinations as all public institutions in that they eventually become self serving. The local teachers are simply doing what they do and probably not that much to blame, but their 'organization' can wreak havoc on a civilization.

I have sometimes dismissed the South as being not smart many times in my life. But the older I get the more I tend to think this is one of the wiser parts of this nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or