U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 01:18 PM

14 posts, read 30,909 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am pretty sure you dont get maby high school students posting on city data, but here I go. I have the option to attend North Springs High School for my senior year, and I am ready to take It on. I would have to drive from East Point to GA 400 Northridge exit every morning. I did a similar commute on my school bus (Holcomb Bridge) in middle school so I am aware of the traffic. But what is a realistic morning & evening commute time? Is it quicker to take 285 instead of the congested downtown connector. I plan on leaving at 7:20 AM to arrive by 8:00 AM.

Additional Information:

I used mapquest but those commute times are somewhat off to me.

I-285 to Roswell Road= 38 minutes/28 miles
I-285 to Abernathy Road= 40 minutes/31 miles
I-285 to Northridge= 43 minutes/33 miles

Connector to Abernathy= 36 minutes/26 miles
Connector to Northridge= 38 mins/28 miles.

IMO I think that Northridge regardless of whatever highway I take would be the closest. Driving on Roswell Road for 4 miles is a task at 7PM. Im pretty sure it would be horrible in the morning.

Any advice-comments-suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated on what to expect in morning & afternoon- rain or shine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 01:44 PM

8,021 posts, read 12,563,520 times
That early in the morning you should be fine just taking the connector to 400. There is hardly any traffic. 285 generally has more problems.

Alternatively you could just take the train from East Point to Dunwoody station and then take the #87 bus. According to the router map, it stops a block a way from the school.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:20 PM

So should 40 minutes be a realistic time for connector, how bout if there is a morning I need to go 285 as a alternate. What should I expect for afternoons? School lets out at 3:40. Thanks for your post

Old 01-24-2010, 02:27 PM

8,021 posts, read 12,563,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie2011 View Post
So should 40 minutes be a realistic time for connector, how bout if there is a morning I need to go 285 as a alternate. What should I expect for afternoons? School lets out at 3:40. Thanks for your post
40 minutes both ways is realistic. I wouldn't lollygag for long after school though. After that's when every route headed back into the city gets nuts!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:35 PM

Should I take the connector in the afternoon? 285 & 75 merge backs all the way up to 400 due to the cobb and cherokee folks who hate urban life soo much! I have a job so I'll be on two wheels coming out the parking lot! What did you think about taking the Northridge Exit? Thats pretty far up 400 (thats another story)

Old 01-24-2010, 04:06 PM

697 posts, read 2,706,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie2011 View Post
Should I take the connector in the afternoon? 285 & 75 merge backs all the way up to 400 due to the cobb and cherokee folks who hate urban life soo much! I have a job so I'll be on two wheels coming out the parking lot! What did you think about taking the Northridge Exit? Thats pretty far up 400 (thats another story)
Take the Abernathy exit. I haven't driven down Roswell Road toward downtown during the morning rush very often, but when I have the traffic's been pretty heavy going that way, but pretty manageable going the other way. Taking Abernathy and going north on Roswell Road will have faster-moving, lighter traffic, and it's a shorter distance than taking Northridge and going back south.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 PM

Hey thanks for responding.

Roswell Road is not manageable in the morning. It took us 25 minutes to get from P'tree dunwoody to abernathy at night. Despite how it may sound, If you take the Northridge exit its only 1 mile back down. My biggest fear is the afternoon, rolling on 285 or parked on the connector. At what time does the connector & 285 get bad in the evening. I plan on leaving school at 3:40 most of the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or