U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:17 PM

906 posts, read 1,511,501 times

Advertisements

I know this area's undergone a lot of development in recent years, but how safe is the area around Howell Mill Road south of the Waterworks these days? There seems to be a number of great restaurants within walking distance of Westside Urban Market/White Provision (e.g., La Fonda, Six Feet Under, etc.) And some interesting bars (e.g., Northside Tavern). But how safe is this part of town? It seems yuppified a good bit, but I've also seen people complain about this area being "rough" in places.

How do people feel about this area, in general? Would you feel safe walking from restaurant to bar at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 06:42 AM

927 posts, read 1,949,433 times
I've never felt unsafe in this area. You should be fine.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 AM

625 posts, read 965,885 times
I'd be very surprised if there are any sidewalks, let alone crosswalk lights. GOOD LUCK

Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 AM

2,683 posts, read 5,316,416 times
I'd be very surprised if you ever had anything positive to say on here. I thought you wanted to get out of here years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
I'd be very surprised if there are any sidewalks, let alone crosswalk lights. GOOD LUCK

Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,564,516 times
I think it's safe but it just isnt that walkable in my opinion compared to Midtown/Lil5Points/VAHI. Tons of good restaurants, shops and markets in the area but alot of it is fairly disconnected. Hopefully they can begin to address the walkability issues as more spaces are rented out and built more densely.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:15 AM

248 posts, read 569,116 times
I agree with Atlantasfinest -- this part of West Midtown is an area with a lot of potential but it isn't particularly easy to walk around in many places right now. I'm hoping some serious streetscape/crosswalk improvements are made to go along with all the of the recent development here.

Your biggest safety problem would probably be just dodging the cars that whizz by as you walk on the occasionally patchy, narrow (and in some places nonexistent) sidewalks and cross the road. I've spent lots of time here and haven't encountered any crime yet myself. Looking at stats on the Atlanta police web site would give you some clear numbers.

Some of my favorite restaurants and hangouts are here. Octane Coffee in particular is my favorite place for coffee in the city and Hop City is a great beer store.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,572 times
Default Westside Waterworks and safe and walkable

I've lived in the area for three years and have experienced it emerge.

It is very safe - safer than Virginia Highlands (they had a shooting death in a parking lot) and Midtown and Buckhead. And is it very walkable.

Look - it's a former warehouse district. It looks different so some people freak out. Candidly, the locals and high income visitors hang out here and party. The restuarants are unbeateable - the best in town. Lots of cool boutiques and artzy places.

Walking is fine. If you want perfect sidewalks and strip shopping centers, maybe you should stay in the suburbs. A lot of money has been put in the area by some pretty smart people and some pretty smart people frequesnt the area. I love it. It's safe and fun and walkable.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:52 AM

133 posts, read 197,814 times
smart people? unfortunate, i have found this town toxic almost everywhere...good luck...i am still looking too!!

if the cars dont run you over or if you dont get lung cancer from the exhaust, you might end up with a 3rd eye from the chemicals in the air....lol

Toxic Pollution and schools - Latest Toxic Release Inventory TRI Google Maps - EPA Risk Management Plans

hope some day politicians wake up and get rid of all industry in urban centers. atl is one of the worst for sure

Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 PM

66 posts, read 83,602 times
Been there many times and never felt unsafe. I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM

906 posts, read 1,511,501 times
Just wanted to weigh in that, since the day I posted this thread almost three years ago, I've actually moved into this area. It's definitely walkable and safe, IMO, but the sidewalks really do need some work in certain patches. In particular, the sidewalk sort of disappears along Howell Mill between 10th Street and Marietta. And I wish there were consistent sidewalks on both sides of 14th street on the Westside up to Howell Mill.

I think the T-SPLOST would have addressed some of these issues. Since it's now failed, I hope the city doesn't yet again sweep sidewalk improvements under the rug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or