U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:55 AM

997 posts, read 4,311,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
No, you most likely will not get identical services on a New York IEP because of the differences in state laws/funding. The reality is that one in 150 (or less) students have autism, and therefore providing quality services is expensive and labor intensive and impossible for districts to provide to the levels of parent expectations.

My son goes to school in New York but I work in special ed in Connecticut and am constantly amazed at what is provided there, but would be laughed out of the PPT if I even suggested he get what I see others have a few miles away in another state.

Moving to Georgia I think you will need to be prepared to spend more time working with you son especially with social skills and assimilating into a new area. Preparing him with social stories, pictures, visits, etc. will help with the transition and I am sure your school psychologist and behaviorist can give you good ideas.
Roxyrn. Why are you commenting about spec ed services in GA when your location is Westchester, NY and you work in CT? Your son even goes to school is NY. That is not a fair assessment. It seems you don't have first hand knowledge of what goes on here.

There are some school systems here that are very good and some not. I live in Johns Creek/Alpharetta and are very pleased with the special education services. Mattie on this forum lives in Alpharetta as well/Milton as is very happy too it seems.

To say that they don't provide quality services for Autism and it is too expensive is crazy. Excuse me but it is. My son was diagnosed with Autism while living here. I was given an IEP. He is very high functioning and had no problem getting him into an Autism classroom. No problem. I didn't have to push or fight at all. They could not have done this because he is mild. Yes- a classroom just for children with Autism. There are 9 children with two teachers and one para professional. That's a 9/3 ratio. Also these children are mainstreamed at times so sometimes the ratio is 1/1. This is not the only Autism class in this school. They have adaptive services and social skills classes as well. His teacher is fabulous and very caring. He has learned to read books and write sentences in just the first few months he was there. Not just a word but books and writing sentences. There are many other special needs classrooms as well ranging from moderate to severely disabled.

On another note. My daughter is a junior in high school and we are beginning to look at colleges. She has a 3.3 GPA (she's received only one C) and is almost at the bottom of her class rank unfortunately. A solid B student nearly at the bottom. Not all schools is GA are horrible as you can see. It's unfortunate because she has a HOPE and might not be able to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,179,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
Roxyrn. Why are you commenting about spec ed services in GA when your location is Westchester, NY and you work in CT? Your son even goes to school is NY. That is not a fair assessment. It seems you don't have first hand knowledge of what goes on here.

There are some school systems here that are very good and some not. I live in Johns Creek/Alpharetta and are very pleased with the special education services. Mattie on this forum lives in Alpharetta as well/Milton as is very happy too it seems.

To say that they don't provide quality services for Autism and it is too expensive is crazy. Excuse me but it is. My son was diagnosed with Autism while living here. I was given an IEP. He is very high functioning and had no problem getting him into an Autism classroom. No problem. I didn't have to push or fight at all. They could not have done this because he is mild. Yes- a classroom just for children with Autism. There are 9 children with two teachers and one para professional. That's a 9/3 ratio. Also these children are mainstreamed at times so sometimes the ratio is 1/1. This is not the only Autism class in this school. They have adaptive services and social skills classes as well. His teacher is fabulous and very caring. He has learned to read books and write sentences in just the first few months he was there. Not just a word but books and writing sentences. There are many other special needs classrooms as well ranging from moderate to severely disabled.

On another note. My daughter is a junior in high school and we are beginning to look at colleges. She has a 3.3 GPA (she's received only one C) and is almost at the bottom of her class rank unfortunately. A solid B student nearly at the bottom. Not all schools is GA are horrible as you can see. It's unfortunate because she has a HOPE and might not be able to use it.
See this post //www.city-data.com/forum/12617447-post25.html for another parent's very different experience, however. It may be that the nature of the learning difficulty makes a big difference in the level of support. Still, it seems to me - strictly an onlooker - that a parent should be cautious about anecdotal experience in this area. You and your child might not encounter the same level of services as another parent and child.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM

997 posts, read 4,311,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
See this post //www.city-data.com/forum/12617447-post25.html for another parent's very different experience, however. It may be that the nature of the learning difficulty makes a big difference in the level of support. Still, it seems to me - strictly an onlooker - that a parent should be cautious about anecdotal experience in this area. You and your child might not encounter the same level of services as another parent and child.
I read that post. You have to keep in mind that they are in a different school system than we are. Different county of schools. Smyrna is in Cobb. We are in North Fulton. I was pointing out that parents should research different counties and different schools within counties. As you know, schools vary greatly here.

I did think it was unfair that the reply the other parent made didn't even live in this state. She really has no basis for her remark because she doesn't have any first hand knowledge good or bad.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:36 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,407,303 times
I work in SPED in CT and have a pretty good knowledge of IDEA and 504 s having a school district that invested a lot of money for me to attend many hours of specialized training. My autistic son is in NY and I have firsthand seen the difference a state and school district can make regarding IEPs. If I had known he was autistic when we moved to NY, I would have not done it and stayed not only in CT but in a certain district where SPED is given amazing resources.

For the last two years my husband has been living and working in Atlanta where we hope to move as soon as our house sells here so I have done considerable research regarding quality public schools that offer the best services for autism. And, as the number of students on the autism spectrum continue to spiral to less than 1 in 150, there is no way that many school districts will be able to keep up with the rising costs associated with ASD providing the assistance many need. So, my advice is to do your homework, look at all options and choose well. But, don't expect that you are going to automatically receive what an out of state IEP gives.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:41 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,015,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Rainy actually you very right here. It really depends on the nature of the difference. Most kids with an Autism diagnosis can get an IEP. ADHD, dyslexia, speech, physical and occupational disorders are much more difficult because they can easily be tagged as developmental. Many of these kids are very bright and can tow the line for a while at least. Unfortunately for many kids a "developmental" issue turns out to be a lifelong disability. The sad truth for many is that by the time the "developmental" clock runs out the self esteem is damaged and the chance for successful remediation has been compromised. But I should clarify in my posts that some disorders are more likely to be addressed in the early stages than others. To people moving here just look before you leap.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,051 times
Default Special Needs Scholarship SB10

I don't know if this helps but GA has a Special Needs Scholarship program, also scholarships available through SSO's and many of the private schools in the ATL area offer large amounts of money to incoming students through scholarships. check out: [url=http://www.educatedgeorgia.org/]Center For An Educated Georgia[/url]
Also, I know quite a few people who are very pleased with the special needs departments in the 30004 zip code area.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:40 AM

5 posts, read 9,829 times
We'll be visiting ATL with my wife and son next week. The Georgia ASA is having a convention in Norcross that both residents and visitors might consider attending.
My wife will be attending the conference and we'll be taking a good look around at the possibility of relocating to the area.

We moved to Long Island from Chi-town in '05 to get my son "the very best care".

We've learned a lot. My wife Homeschools my son now and knows far more than most of his instructors.

NY does have a great "Quantity" of services compared to most states.

Got off track sorry, I think this conference might help many and we're hoping to learn much more on our trip.

To all the parents of special need kids... It's tough but stay as involved in your childs education as you can. Question Everything...

Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,444 times
Default Relocating to Atlanta

Jin69, which school does your child attend. It sounds great. We are relocating to Atlanta from Houston. My son is 5 and mildly autistic. He attends an ABA clinic here and loves it. However, I cannot find a similar situation in Atlanta. I have found a lot of private schools but can not figure out which public school would be best for him. I am just trying to look at all of our options. Just because a school costs $50,000 per year doesn't mean it is the right fit for my son. We haven't bought a house yet so any advice you can give is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

M

Old 03-26-2011, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,652 times
Stepping Stones Academy in Griffin, GA. Excellent student/teacher ratios. Tuition is low compared to all other schools in Atlanta. Christian-based. Special needs AND typical kids together. Lunch included in tuition. ABA/Severe Pre-K class is the most at $1200/mo. Caring/clean environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or