Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 AM

19 posts, read 149,038 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of accepting a job at Emory university. My son is 8, currently in 3rd grade, diagnosed with autism (he is verbal), and mainstreamed at present. Can anyone help with information about suburbs around Atlanta with schools that have good services for high functioning Autism? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 11:40 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,798,673 times
Does he have a current IEP? Getting services without one will take time, especially if he is mainstreamed.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Does he have a current IEP? Getting services without one will take time, especially if he is mainstreamed.
He has one from New York state. He is mainstreamed but gets pulled out into a special ed (8:1:1) class for part of the day. He receives speech therapy and OT.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:10 PM

46 posts, read 220,241 times
I will be in the same situation as you. My son is 5, we live in NYC and planning to move to Atlanta by the end of this year. Or as soon I find work. I am planning to move to Gwinnett county. I heard and talked to a few people who say they have great or better than the other counties, services for children on the spectrum.
I have been applying to jobs in Atlanta but I never took a look at Emory University. I only heard of the Emory Hospital and they are only hiring nurses.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:18 PM

997 posts, read 4,632,207 times
Lake Windward Elementary in Alpharetta has a great special needs program in fact two classes are for children with Autism. Might be worth looking at.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:16 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,604,828 times
If you have good services where you are, and you have a choice about moving, please consider staying put.

Special Ed services in GA rank near the bottom of the country. It is hard to explain, but there is a huge range of quality of services and not only can it vary within school systems, it can vary from year to year within the same school.

GA schools will have very limited funds next year and probably the year after. We can expect everything in public schools to be impacted.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:57 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,823,059 times
^ Which doesn't mean you shouldn't move to GA, it just means you need to do some investigating before you commit to a particular school system. We have been VERY pleased with our No. Fulton spec ed support.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:03 PM

I will agree, that unless you go to a private school for learning disabled, you are going to have a hard time getting the services in the Atlanta area that you get in New York, especially if it is high functioning autism. Lower functioning would provide much more in way of services. Kids who are able to get by with less services will not be eligible for certain programs. New York has mandates regarding additional services provided to those with Autism listed as their disability on IEP. Georgia does not have the funding.

I would recommend visiting the schools, with IEP in hand and see what your gut reaction is to what you have to say. Also remember that each child is unique and services that appropriate to one student may not be provided to another.

We visited schools in North Fulton and Cobb County last summer, but the school districts had extreme cutbacks in summer staff so we were told to come back with proof of residence and special ed staff would meet with us.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
I will agree, that unless you go to a private school for learning disabled, you are going to have a hard time getting the services in the Atlanta area that you get in New York, especially if it is high functioning autism. Lower functioning would provide much more in way of services. Kids who are able to get by with less services will not be eligible for certain programs. New York has mandates regarding additional services provided to those with Autism listed as their disability on IEP. Georgia does not have the funding.

I would recommend visiting the schools, with IEP in hand and see what your gut reaction is to what you have to say. Also remember that each child is unique and services that appropriate to one student may not be provided to another.

We visited schools in North Fulton and Cobb County last summer, but the school districts had extreme cutbacks in summer staff so we were told to come back with proof of residence and special ed staff would meet with us.
Many thanks to all who have responded so far. Am i likely to be granted services already recommended on an IEP form New York State?

Old 01-26-2010, 06:58 AM

No, you most likely will not get identical services on a New York IEP because of the differences in state laws/funding. The reality is that one in 150 (or less) students have autism, and therefore providing quality services is expensive and labor intensive and impossible for districts to provide to the levels of parent expectations.

My son goes to school in New York but I work in special ed in Connecticut and am constantly amazed at what is provided there, but would be laughed out of the PPT if I even suggested he get what I see others have a few miles away in another state.

Moving to Georgia I think you will need to be prepared to spend more time working with you son especially with social skills and assimilating into a new area. Preparing him with social stories, pictures, visits, etc. will help with the transition and I am sure your school psychologist and behaviorist can give you good ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta