U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,919 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are potentially moving to the Decatur/Dekalb area in a few months, and have to find a rental house quickly (likely just take one trip down to see 5-6 rental properties, and then decide on one).

Since she's going to be working at the CDC we're currently zeroing on on the basic area in an effort to avoid long commutes:

-West of I-285
-South of I-85
-North of Memorial Dr
-East of I-75

We're looking for a rental under $1200 for a 3Br house, and have found some options, but are our paremeters to tight?

If we were to expand north of I-85 how much worse doe the commute get? I know gettinginto that North Atlanta area gets pricy, but Ive come across a few options, but have been leary due to the increased distance to work each day.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Im sure there are nice neighborhoods outside our target area, but with a very tight window for rental house-hunting we cant have to many "misses" when we are only there for one day of house looking. but at the same time I dont want to handcuff us unnecessarily, so here I am for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,209,201 times
'Briarcliff Heights' is a neighborhood that you might want to consider.
Located at N.Druid Hills/Briarcliff/Clairmont Rds, about 10-15 minutes from the VA on Clairmont.

The houses were built in the 50's and many have been renovated and would be within your price range.

You could include the entire area from Briarcliff at Clairmont to Tucker in your search, the Northlake Mall area.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:10 PM

23,125 posts, read 36,376,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
'Briarcliff Heights' is a neighborhood that you might want to consider.
Located at N.Druid Hills/Briarcliff/Clairmont Rds, about 10-15 minutes from the VA on Clairmont.

The houses were built in the 50's and many have been renovated and would be within your price range.

You could include the entire area from Briarcliff at Clairmont to Tucker in your search, the Northlake Mall area.
That sums up my opinion as well. Most bang for the $$$$ in the geographical parameters that you describe.
Also consider University Heights, Medlock Park and Pine Glen.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:50 PM

102 posts, read 355,051 times
Put in my vote for Medlock Park. I just love that little neighborhood. I think it is very up and coming. In fact, I don't really understand why it isn't much more expensive than it is.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 PM

119 posts, read 268,710 times
At which CDC campus will your wife be working? Clifton Road? Buford Highway? Chamblee-Tucker Road? Her exact work location would help define the search parameters for a house.

I agree with the others that you can possibly expand your parameters without adding too much more time to your wife's commute. Also, what would be the maximum commute time she would wanto to have?

Homes north of North Druid Hills Road and west of Lawrenceville Highway will generally be less expensive than the Briarcliff/Lavista corridor. You might want to consider homes around Laurel Ridge Elementary. The Northlake/Tucker area isn't too much farther our and also generally less expensive.

Homes north/west of 85 and inside of 285 (Lenox, Brookhaven, Chamblee, Doraville and Dunwoody) can be pricier than what you want, or have less desirable areas, and have more traffic on arterial roads.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 AM

She'll be working near the Emory campus one (off Cliffton if I remember correctly). As far as commute time, what should we expect if we were driving from the Country Squires area (at least that what Google maps labels it as)... there were a few houses in that area that met our paremeters. Looks like that is near the Laurel Ridge Elementary, so that sounds like one viable neighborhood...

Old 01-27-2010, 12:53 PM

How is the commute from Chamblee?

Old 01-27-2010, 03:05 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,209,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miraclemet View Post
How is the commute from Chamblee?

There are 'peak traffic times' which involve Clairmont, Briarcliff Rd and N. Druid Hills. The commute from Chamblee 'should' take about 20 minutes to CDC/Clifton Rd. It 'might' take 45 minutes or more and I can't be more specific.

I live in this triangle and more and more the randomness of gridlock traffic leaves me asking 'Why'??

There is nothing like sitting in your car on Briarcliff Rd--2 lane road and moving at glacial pace toward Emory. sigh---It wasn't always this bad.

Sometimes La Vista Rd moves a little faster.

Maybe someone else has a better POV.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:18 PM

119 posts, read 268,710 times
Since your wife will be working at the main CDC campus on Clifton Road near Emory, you are probably right to want to find a home in the Briarcliff or Lavista corridor. If she worked off Buford Highway, then Chamblee would be more of an option, and if she worked off Chamblee-Tucker Road then the Tucker area would have been more of an option.

Like other commenters have said, areas off of North Druid Hills Road and North Decatur Road are also good options.

I've never been through the Country Squires neighborhood, but it seems like it should be in a good area. A commute time from that area would probably depend on when your wife would leave for work and return home. If she has to be at work at 8am/leaves at 5pm, I'd expect a longer commute time (maybe 25-30 minutes), versus if she has to be to work at 9am/leaves at 6pm (maybe 15-20 minutes). I live in Stone Mountain (three miles east of 285) and have a neighbor who works at the CDC on Clifton. She leaves at 8:15am and is at work in 30 minutes. School traffic can also be an issue, if there will be schools along your wife's route.

If she travels on Lavista, the last stretch on Houston Mill Road can be a real pain at certain times. There will be lots of CDC and Emory employees traveling that road at peak rush hours, so it is best to plan another route.

I still don't know what would be the maximum commute time your wife would want to have, but I would only consider Chamblee if she has to be to work at 9am or later. Anytime before that means she'll be at peak rush hour and have a 30-45 minute commute.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,878,340 times
The commute from Country Squire area to the Emory main campus should be around 15 minutes. She'll find different ways to cut through the neighborhoods to determine which will be the best route. It's actually only a few miles from the Emory campus but the alternatives at rush hour are to take the direct (but congested) main roads (such as North Druid Hills to Clairmont or Lawrenceville Hwy to North Decatur) or to wind through the back roads of multiple neighborhoods. Of course, if her schedule is such that she can get to work either before 7:30 or after 9:00, the traffic will be less of an issue. In any event Country Squire is extremely convenient to the Emory campus. The area closer to Laurel Ridge Elementary is a bit more convenient than the area closer to Shamrock Middle School, but both are very convenient. The Medlock area is even a bit more convenient if you see anything in that area that suits you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraclemet View Post
She'll be working near the Emory campus one (off Cliffton if I remember correctly). As far as commute time, what should we expect if we were driving from the Country Squires area (at least that what Google maps labels it as)... there were a few houses in that area that met our paremeters. Looks like that is near the Laurel Ridge Elementary, so that sounds like one viable neighborhood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or