Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 19,062 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I love the idea of these 2 neighborhoods.. I can't stop thinking about moving there.. Kuddos to those of you who live there and are active in your 'hoods, you make it sound promising and adventurous! I've read all your blogs and visited every web site I can find.. herein is part of the problem. While I expect typical intown crimes, to see on the AtlantaPD crime map that there were 4 homicides in the immediate area within 14 days (12/27/09-1/09/10) has me concerned..
Our specifics: Currently live in Sugar Hill, (NE Gwinnett) & while it is nice (parks, schools, shopping, diverse in our neighborhood, safe etc..) the houses are boring and lack everything that makes me feel connected to a home. We would love to be intown, but can't afford most areas etc etc etc.. you know the schpeal.. We are a young white couple, 2 young children + a pup, and I am a SAHM who gets stir crazy if kept inside. We love to go to the local parks and just walk the neighborhood.. Is this going to work for me in W.E / Westview? I am not a scared-y-cat kind of person, and we love to be a part of the neighborhood, hubby is on our current board, I'm a book club girl myself, so we would want to get to know our neighbors, which I know will help make everyone comfortable. But can I walk the streets with my kids?
TIA -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
I don't live in West End/Westview currently (we live in NW Atlanta, but not West End/Westview neighborhoods specifically) but did for about 3 years until recently and my son still goes to MA Jones Elementary near the West End. We go to West End Park pretty much every day that it is nice out and we walk around all the time.

One of my son's classmates lives about 2 blocks from the park, he is white and his mom and I are friends. She has 2 sons, and we frequently walk down to their house to visit and we'll all walk to the park together. She is a SAHM as well, so am I and she has never told me she is afraid to stay there. I know I never was.

There really is a diverse mix of people in West End and it is a nice neighborhood and we would have stayed there when we bought a house if we could have found one that didn't need many renovations and for a cheaper price. I wish we were in the market now because there are a lot good prices in West End right now and we could have stayed in the neighborhood.

Really though, I think that people make the West side in particular to be worse than it actually is. I live in an area that is spoken about as crime filled yet I know my neighbors who are good people and have never had a problem here with break-ins or gangs or anything. We have been in our home for almost 2 years now. I never had a problem in West End either when we lived in apartments. I think you would find the area and the people in West End as good people and would be comfortable there since you are not on the scaredy side.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the input residinghere. I do think that getting to know my neighbors will erase most of the concerns (as long as we have neighbors with all the empty houses - Why don't you rent your house and move back??). I hope to walk down Lucille to the park and see other moms/dads there playing with their kids, so I am glad to hear from you that the park is used by the community. Are there shady characters that hang out at the park? We can't wait to check it out again this weekend.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 AM

145 posts, read 598,271 times
I've been a West Ender for about 5 years.

Can you walk the streets with your kids? Sure... However, I will say that there are some differences between these two neighborhoods to consider.

1. West End has significantly more pedestrians and street life then Westview. In West End, especially on the main corridors, you are never the only one walking day or night. Westview as a whole is quieter and has less activity. It's mostly residential with a little commercial. I'm not saying one is better then the other, because some people prefer that. Just take it into consideration when choosing which is the best fit for you.

2. West End has more and larger parks with amenities like Tennis courts, Basketball courts, swings, and picnic tables. City of Atlanta is exceptionally good at maintaining its parks.

3. West End has places to walk to in the neighborhood like the Library, McDonalds (Happy Meal), or story telling at the Wren's Nest. West End businesses of all types are typically within walking distance of the homes.

Hope this helps to clear up the picture some. Best to you in your search.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:36 AM

thank you davesm. The info does help.. I am also trying to determine the differences between the neighborhoods, as I've read on this forum that there are distinct differences. Any more info on these differences would be welcome!

Old 01-28-2010, 11:54 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhill View Post
Thanks for the input residinghere. I do think that getting to know my neighbors will erase most of the concerns (as long as we have neighbors with all the empty houses - Why don't you rent your house and move back??). I hope to walk down Lucille to the park and see other moms/dads there playing with their kids, so I am glad to hear from you that the park is used by the community. Are there shady characters that hang out at the park? We can't wait to check it out again this weekend.
I never saw too many shady people at the park. I have seen some groups of teenagers but you will see groups of teenagers at pretty much all the parks. They don't really hang at the park though, I just see them walking through. There are a couple mosques in the area also so mostly I only see Muslim families with their kids and other local people who live in the neighborhood. One of my son's former teachers lives in the neighborhood with his family and I see his wife and baby son there often. I have a baby girl who is around the same age as their son so they like to play together. If you moved near the park there are a lot of nice families around there and they would really welcome you. I know quite a few people who live near the park, I used to live across the street from it when we were renting. Luckily, we only live about 1.5 miles away so we still go there at least 3-4 times a week. Today we went to the library and the park. We walk around there a lot since I'll just park on Oak St and go where I want to go by foot since I don't want to be lazy and drive. I actually met a new resident there today who is also a teacher. She was a white lady as well and was walking around with her 6 month old.

I think Westview has less recreational areas versus West End and like the previous poster said, there aren't too many people walking around there, but there are a lot of nice houses in the Westview area. We looked there when we were shopping around as well.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:05 AM

55 posts, read 233,907 times
Westview has a nice playground on Enota Place away from any big streets called Enota Park. Part of the BeltLine's plan is to expand this park into the vacant land behind it and eventually make it accessible from the BeltLine path currently being constructed along Langhorn Street.

On the southern end of Westview is Gordon A. White park with tennis courts and a golf course. The golf course includes a program called "First T" to encourage young children to get into the sport.

Many of our neighbors have dogs and walk them all throughout Westview, so you would not be on your own there. For that matter, one of my neighbor's is pregnant and constantly walks the dog by herself. She feels safe in her surroundings. I also know of other parents that walk their kids in strollers around the neighborhood.

As you mentioned you are aware that certain crimes do happen in intown neighborhoods, like the occasional break-ins and robberies. Just try to be smart about it - install a wireless alarm system (so lines can't be cut), have it set to auto-dispatch so that the police will get there faster in case something happens. Burglars prefer to break in back doors where they have more privacy, so take extra care in securing that area. If you buy expensive electronics try to dispose of boxes in a way where you're not advertising your brand new purchase (like putting it in a garbage bag or something). And of course get to know your neighbors. I have the best neighbors I could ever wish for, and we're a very close-knit community. Whether it's a broken water pipe or a cat setting off the alarm, I know my neighbors will look out for me and be there to help out in any way.

Have you researched the schools in the area to get a feel for them? I don't have children and can't comment much on them, but I know it's often a concern for parents looking to live in the area.

Our neighborhood organization’s president, Scott Smith, gives walking tours. He will tell you the good and the bad so that you can make an educated decision about whether intown living is right for you and your family. That being said, we’d obviously love a new neighbor that sounds like an active asset in our community!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: