U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:55 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,484,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
One more positive for the "new" streetcar system is that most of the city proper was designed around a streetcar system. The streets and neighborhoods won't have to be reconfigured.
Absolutely, waronxmas.

The big curve in front of the Ponce Apartments on Peachtree, the cool little business districts like V-H and Little 5 and our wonderful bungalow neighborhoods all are a reflection of that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 PM

8,021 posts, read 12,570,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Absolutely, waronxmas.

The big curve in front of the Ponce Apartments on Peachtree, the cool little business districts like V-H and Little 5 and our wonderful bungalow neighborhoods all are a reflection of that!
Yup. I was trying to find the proper name for them, streetcar roundabouts I believe, but you are right. There are literally at dozens, if not hundreds, of intersections around the city. The routes of the old streetcar lines are still pretty much the same main thoroughfares today. Get some money, drop some rail and overhead electrical lines and voila!

Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 PM

248 posts, read 569,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
One more positive for the "new" streetcar system is that most of the city proper was designed around a streetcar system. The streets and neighborhoods won't have to be reconfigured.
That's an excellent point. Many times we read that Atlanta is cursed with traffic and sprawl due to the city growing up in the automobile age, but many early intown neighborhoods were built on streetcar lines -- on routes that still exist today as roads.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:06 PM

14,426 posts, read 23,111,859 times
Quote:
In addition to carrot's great response, developers LOVE streetcars. So do people that would never step foot on a bus (unfortunate, but true).

Laying rail attracts good development, and can truly transform entire sections of a city.

Streetcars have been credited with transforming one of the worst sections of Downtown Portland into a booming, sought-after neighborhood. Portland's Pearl District: Explore shopping, dining, galleries and more.

There's the "permanency" aspect of streetcars as well--a bus route can be easily changed; a streetcar route cannot (and/or will not).

This is very appealing to developers and caring residents alike.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:32 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,584,822 times
Quote:
I hope so too, and thanks for posting this!

I'm feeling a little more upbeat about the area than usual, thanks to this unexpected development.

Now, if we could just get the vote moved up to 2010 instead of 2012, we might just be in business.
You are very welcome!

I think this is all very encouraging. I think that maybe this time we can actually start to see some change. I think we are approaching critical mass, and to stay competitive we need to spend money to support our quality of life.
What I am really hoping for is a few commuter lines. I have an interview for a new job downtown, and I am not looking forward to that hypothetical commute! However, one commuter line would supposedly go down 29, and there would be a station at Ronald Reagan Parkway. If I'm still there, and in this house in 20 years, I might see it!

Old 01-27-2010, 01:33 PM

60 posts, read 269,475 times
I guess street cars are good as long as the entire road isnt closed off to traffic. Buffalo, NY made the mistake of restricting Main St in downtown to the light rail exclusively. That meant no car traffic. Ultimately that led to businesses along the route shutting down and essentially a ghost town at times.

But if the street car shares the road with cars like San Fran and Denver, then it can definitely do well. That assumes more ppl ride the rail and less cars are on the road. Otherwise its just another jam.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast2GA View Post
I guess street cars are good as long as the entire road isnt closed off to traffic. Buffalo, NY made the mistake of restricting Main St in downtown to the light rail exclusively. That meant no car traffic. Ultimately that led to businesses along the route shutting down and essentially a ghost town at times.

But if the street car shares the road with cars like San Fran and Denver, then it can definitely do well. That assumes more ppl ride the rail and less cars are on the road. Otherwise its just another jam.
I don't think that anyone has a plan to close the entire length of Peachtree St......
It would be dual use by cars and streetcars.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:25 PM

Well it ain't all good.....

As little as $750,000 for Georgia on high-speed rail | Gold Dome Live

Old 01-28-2010, 02:09 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,947,584 times
i'll actually drive there so i can ride the tram. and by tram i mean a real tram like this:

and not this tourist attraction:

but neither will happen. instead we will have more taxes to pay for more toll lanes. yaay

Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,484,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
And we all know why this happened.............

I am SO GLAD that every single public servant in Georgia is up for re-election this year. It's time to clean house, folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or