Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:04 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,963,564 times

Advertisements

Is metro commute nearing a change? *| ajc.com

Maybe??? Please???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 AM

60 posts, read 303,925 times
What are the benefits of a street car system? Will it result in street closings? Is it better than just adding more buses?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:58 AM

278 posts, read 1,101,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast2GA View Post
What are the benefits of a street car system? Will it result in street closings? Is it better than just adding more buses?
my big thing is that they are cheaper over the long haul...you have to replace a bus every 10 or so years...streetcars can last many many many decades. My fiscal conservative self says money saving is always good! Why waste tax dollars on something that will break down and need to be replaced before my kid even hits high school??

another thing I like is that they do not stop as much as a bus, so when you are stuck behind one you wont have to stop as much, or when you are in one you get to your destination faster.

They are smoother too (of the ones ive ridden in)

Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,303,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast2GA View Post
In addition to carrot's great response, developers LOVE streetcars. So do people that would never step foot on a bus (unfortunate, but true).

Laying rail attracts good development, and can truly transform entire sections of a city.

Streetcars have been credited with transforming one of the worst sections of Downtown Portland into a booming, sought-after neighborhood. Portland's Pearl District: Explore shopping, dining, galleries and more.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I hope so too, and thanks for posting this!

I'm feeling a little more upbeat about the area than usual, thanks to this unexpected development.

Now, if we could just get the vote moved up to 2010 instead of 2012, we might just be in business.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 AM

248 posts, read 646,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Streetcars have been credited with transforming one of the worst sections of Downtown Portland into a booming, sought-after neighborhood. Portland's Pearl District: Explore shopping, dining, galleries and more.
Phoenix's street car line has been a success as well:
Light rail: Phoenix's surprise - St. Petersburg Times

From what I've read in the above link and elsewhere, the biggest positive of the Phoenix line has been in making local residents feel good about their city and more comfortable with exploring the downtown area without a car. Central Atlanta could certainly use a boost in community/neighborhood spirit and also some added foot traffic for businesses on the Peachtree corridor.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:37 AM

^Yes, I've heard similar things about the Valley's new LRT. It is exceeding ridership expectations by several years already.

Just one thing reet4587, the proposed streetcars mentioned for us are like the ones in Portland, while Phoenix's new LRT system is using the trains we will use for the Beltline and new MARTA lines/extensions. There is quite a bit of difference between the two.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:47 AM

859 posts, read 2,113,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
developers LOVE streetcars. So do people that would never step foot on a bus (unfortunate, but true).
Funny isn't it

All the info about the Atlanta Streetcar: Home
About the streetcar, I believe a decision from the US DOT is expected back next month on whether or not atlanta will get the funds to start on the streetcar. If funding is approved, according to the the website work should take two years.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:50 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,918,059 times
One more positive for the "new" streetcar system is that most of the city proper was designed around a streetcar system. The streets and neighborhoods won't have to be reconfigured.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Funny isn't it

All the info about the Atlanta Streetcar: Home
About the streetcar, I believe a decision from the US DOT is expected back next month on whether or not atlanta will get the funds to start on the streetcar. If funding is approved, according to the the website work should take two years.
It's just crazy!

Thanks for the great link - I haven't seen this until now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: