U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:09 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,861,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
My spouse landed a customer service job in December to replace the contract position she had been doing most of the year. She had been working most the year but was looking due to the temp nature of her job and from about September on noticed a big increase in the number of jobs available and interviews she landed.

Seems things are Much, much better then a year ago. At this point though having good experience and skills is a big difference maker along with the usual networking and other job search things.
Do you know specific companies that are hiring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 AM

755 posts, read 2,068,330 times
I lost my job in Nov. 08 and my live in girlfriend lost hers two weeks later it took us both 5 months to find a new job, basically both jobs were gotten through connections. We are happy to have jobs and thankful everyday (unemployment doesn't pay the bills) but both of us are working in fields that have nothing to do with our schooling or experience but the bills are getting paid.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:18 PM

298 posts, read 305,109 times
I recently got a job in the construction industry (go figure).

A lot of the availability of jobs depends on your situation. Based on my experiences with my acquaintances, who are all recent graduates 1-3 years out of school, a lot of graduates will be "underemployed" and/or find work in fields not related to their major/interest. Obviously this isn't the rule, but just an observation.

The ones who have gotten good jobs in desired fields and aren't "underemployed" had extensive internship experiences, network connections, and/or family connections. I believe many students just go through the motions while in school and don't partake in internships and gain skills and in an employer's hiring market like this they can be very selective, so they're having trouble finding jobs. Internships provided great experience with valuable network opportunities.

But in general, I see jobs. I've seen Now Hiring signs, off the top of my head, at various restaurants, a delivery company hiring drivers, and the Orkin facility by Lindbergh said they were hiring. I've also had plenty of friends get jobs in call-center like sales positions.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:04 AM

305 posts, read 780,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I live in a city with a 12.8% unemployment rate. I have a job (Blockbuster) with VERY few hours. I got this job only because my girl was very close with her manager who put in a good word for me. The best advice I can give is to look in a college town (IE: Gainesville here in Florida) as they are always looking for year round employees.
Thanks

Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 AM

3 posts, read 3,231 times
I just got my first job out of college in Atlanta, and I'm from Alabama. I found it on craigslist, and it is actually using my major with a 500 company. Only took about two weeks, and I start on Monday.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:28 AM

11,319 posts, read 23,017,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akurybo View Post
I just got my first job out of college in Atlanta, and I'm from Alabama. I found it on craigslist, and it is actually using my major with a 500 company. Only took about two weeks, and I start on Monday.
I found it easy to obtain work out of college, somewhat harder once I had five years of experience and had been professionally pigeonholed, and very very difficult when I had 15 years of experience and a much for varied skillset.

Just wait.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,099,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I found it easy to obtain work out of college, somewhat harder once I had five years of experience and had been professionally pigeonholed, and very very difficult when I had 15 years of experience and a much for varied skillset.

Just wait.

You said it!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:10 AM

That sucks then. I can only hope the economy isn't this bad in 10-15 years!!

Old 02-05-2010, 08:18 AM

2,683 posts, read 5,323,998 times
If history teaches us anything we are bound to have at least 2-3 more recessions in the next 15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akurybo View Post
That sucks then. I can only hope the economy isn't this bad in 10-15 years!!

Old 02-05-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
If history teaches us anything we are bound to have at least 2-3 more recessions in the next 15 years.
...And that's why I wasn't an econ major.

In any case, I was referring to my looking for a job at a single point in time, in reference to rcsteiner's experience, rather than the whole period. Hopefully I will be staying with this company for more than a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or