U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 AM

1,498 posts, read 2,678,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Hahaha...

I thought about posting it, but was too tired last night--later, I saw that OhioNative had already done the job...!

I definitely think Tucker should incorporate--and I think their city limits should include the Smokerise Community.

Or do y'all think Smokerise should incorporate separately? The Smokerise area just got permission from the U.S. Postal service to use "Smokerise" as an option when writing addresses (in addition to their official address of "Stone Mountain"). However, I don't think Smokerise has enough commericial,etc. to be viable as a separate incorporated community--and they really are more a part of Tucker even though the Smokerise address had traditionally been Stone Mountain (The Smokerise community attends the Tucker cluster schools).

I've always thought of Peachtree Corners as the "Vinings of Gwinnett County"...

Just some of my thoughts...I'm looking forward to more of y'all's thoughts/opinions as well...
i agree peachtree corners is definitely the vinings of gwinnett. thats a good way to describe it.

i also agree that smokerise should be in tucker. i think the residents of smokerise would much prefer to be in tucker over stone mountain. smokerise also does not have the commercial tax base nor the community support to incorporate. either way, if tucker is created, they will make its borders neat, stretching them to stone mountain city limits and 78 on the south, meaning smokerise will be included. also, the people forming tucker will want this affluent area in thier city. its a win-win for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I'm glad you mentioned this. It's unfortunate that people think so bad of Norcross--that quaint downtown is oh-so-nice.

How about Peachtree Corners possibly being annexed by Norcross...and no longer being under unincorporated Gwinnett County jurisdiction?

And then they could still have the option of using Peachtree Corners or Norcross with their address...a la Chestnut Hill and Boston, Jamaica Plain and Boston, etc.
woah, now you have gone too far. this situation is different than dunwoody. in dunwoody, dekalb county was the problem. in peachtree corners, few people have a problem with gwinnett county, its the city of norcross they are concerned about. they also need to incorporate to put redevelopment pressure on some of the areas. holcomb bridge and parts of ptree corners circle are lined with aging apartment complexes that need to be razed. the apartments at the intersection of holcomb bridge and ptree corners circle are a perfect location for a mixed-use "downtown peachtree corners" development.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 AM

14,408 posts, read 23,081,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
woah, now you have gone too far. this situation is different than dunwoody. in dunwoody, dekalb county was the problem. in peachtree corners, few people have a problem with gwinnett county, its the city of norcross they are concerned about. they also need to incorporate to put redevelopment pressure on some of the areas. holcomb bridge and parts of ptree corners circle are lined with aging apartment complexes that need to be razed. the apartments at the intersection of holcomb bridge and ptree corners circle are a perfect location for a mixed-use "downtown peachtree corners" development.
Um, it was Gwinnett County gov't that approved all of those apartment complexes...not the city of Norcross.

It is a problem throughout Gwinnett County. The county encouraged all of this uncontrolled development in the 80's/90's--now many areas are paying the price (Gwinnett Place area, West Gwinnett I-85/Meadowcreek Corridor, etc.).

And I'm not opposed to a separate Ptree Corners--however, "a Peachtree Corners in an expanded Norcross" is not a bad idea either.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,582,876 times
Ugh, wish I could have posted on this earlier! Stupid dinner parties....

While, I think that it's an interesting idea, I don't really see a majority supporting it in Peachtree Corners. They already have a very active association, that generally has the ability to influence zoning and planning recommendations. Also, I believe that they are already able to distinguish themselves as a separate place on their mailing address, using exclusively Peachtree Corners. I think it's going to be really interesting to watch this play out.

Also, I don't see Bannister and his buds letting go of any control of a part of Gwinnett. That would be anti-Gwinnett!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Um, it was Gwinnett County gov't that approved all of those apartment complexes...not the city of Norcross.

It is a problem throughout Gwinnett County. The county encouraged all of this uncontrolled development in the 80's/90's--now many areas are paying the price (Gwinnett Place area, West Gwinnett I-85/Meadowcreek Corridor, etc.).

And I'm not opposed to a separate Ptree Corners--however, "a Peachtree Corners in an expanded Norcross" is not a bad idea either.
I know that Gwinnett County approved them, and I know of the results. But the current issue, as the article states, is with the city of Norcross. They are trying to grow thier borders into areas traditionally considered Peachtree Corners. This is what started the whole incorporation movement. People in peachtree Corners would never approve an annexation into Norcross, they want nothing to do with it. They already have a big enough problem with thier Norcross mailing address. Its a completely unrealistic possibility.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 AM

On a related issue, Chamblee is currently lobbying for an annexation bill that would grow thier borders all the way up to Dunwoody at 285, extending to Chamblee Dunwoody Road on the west. I wonder that if this happens, people in the area west of Chamblee (in between 285 and 85) will start to consider forming a "City of Brookhaven".

Old 01-29-2010, 09:27 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,738,247 times
I'm not quite sure why but all of this creating new cities out of nothing just for the sake of saying "this is an affluent area" just seems totally backwards to me. This is the affluent sprawl which is soooo much better than the not so affluent sprawl.

When its easier to start a new city from scratch than it is to annex an existing city (provided the right political connections), its no wonder so many Georgia cities are stagnant or declining.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:38 AM

8,059 posts, read 10,544,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
On a related issue, Chamblee is currently lobbying for an annexation bill that would grow thier borders all the way up to Dunwoody at 285, extending to Chamblee Dunwoody Road on the west. I wonder that if this happens, people in the area west of Chamblee (in between 285 and 85) will start to consider forming a "City of Brookhaven".
There was an incorporated city of North Atlanta (Brookhaven) up into the 50s or 60s, LovinDecatur and I had some posts on this on some thread a while back. Too lazy to go find it tho!

I have always wondered why DeKalb cities never annexed very much, most of them still have 19th century boundaries with minor annexations here and there.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:48 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,910,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I'm not quite sure why but all of this creating new cities out of nothing just for the sake of saying "this is an affluent area" just seems totally backwards to me. This is the affluent sprawl which is soooo much better than the not so affluent sprawl.

When its easier to start a new city from scratch than it is to annex an existing city (provided the right political connections), its no wonder so many Georgia cities are stagnant or declining.
It's not so much the concept of being known as "an affluent area"...it's more about self-control so that your affluent area does not become ghetto b/c of the decisions of people who do not live in your area. Living in Dunwoody, I can say there's been so much improvement after only one year. Just simply having our own police force which patrols only our streets (and are omnipresent) has been fantastic. Also, Dekalb was royaly screwing us by dumping high-density housing into the area, which could not be supported by the schools in the area. It's not an ego thing at all...it's about controlling your own destiny.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 AM

14,408 posts, read 23,081,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
It's not so much the concept of being known as "an affluent area"...it's more about self-control so that your affluent area does not become ghetto b/c of the decisions of people who do not live in your area. Living in Dunwoody, I can say there's been so much improvement after only one year. Just simply having our own police force which patrols only our streets (and are omnipresent) has been fantastic. Also, Dekalb was royaly screwing us by dumping high-density housing into the area, which could not be supported by the schools in the area. It's not an ego thing at all...it's about controlling your own destiny.
I do think Metro Atlanta needs to be a network of incorporated municipalities--with an expanded city proper of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta